Darn hit. Heavy lifting left me "toned".

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    To everyone who says "toning is a myth," you've proven them wrong! Great job! Congratulations on your toned body! :happy:

Doing low weight and high reps to achieve the "toned" look is a myth. People use "toned" to describe a reduction in body fat that reveals underlying muscle. It's actually a missuse of the word anyway.

This is a great article describing it:
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightloss/a/toning.htm
    So what is toning? The word tone simply describes the state of your muscles. When at rest, your muscles are in a constant state of partial contraction in order to be ready for action. The 'tone' of your muscles is involuntary, so you can't change it by lifting weights a certain way.

Over the years, people have taken the word 'tone' and redefined it to mean how lean we are--how defined our muscles appear. In fact, it's even a gender specific word. Women go to the gym to 'tone up' while men go to the gym to lift weights and build muscle but, the truth is, they are the exact same things. Becoming lean and building muscle requires lifting weights, the difference is in how much you lift.

While you can lift weights to change your body, you're limited as to what you can really change about your muscles. In a nutshell, this is what your muscles can do:

1. Grow larger and/or stronger
    2. Shrink smaller and/or get weaker

You can't make a muscle longer (without surgery) and you can't etch it into a certain shape or look. If your goal is to see your muscles, your goal isn't toning--it's losing body fat. And, whether you're a man or woman, wanting to bulk up or slim down, you'll do the same kinds of exercises and training methods. The difference lies in the weights, reps and sets you'll do, as well as how many calories you take in (more if you're building muscle, less if you're trying to lose fat).

You may be wondering why it matters if you believe in toning or not. The problem with the idea of toning is that it leads to that other stubborn myth...

AHHH! So you're one of them! buwhahahaah

:tongue: :laugh:

They say it's a myth. She proved them wrong. I stand by my comment.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    To everyone who says "toning is a myth," you've proven them wrong! Great job! Congratulations on your toned body! :happy:
    It is a myth. She was being sarcastic. Muscle is conditioned or not conditioned. You don't "tone" it. You can "tone it up" though. Semantics, yes, but it irks me because the terminology was created to "trick" women that they were lifting weights to not condition muscle the same way a man would if he lifted weights. Kinesiology doesn't change with gender.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cupcakes_
    cupcakes_ Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You look awesome!!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    From my understanding, women dont bulk up. We may get more muscle definition but not bulk. We do not have the testosterone level for that. Im sure there are un natural ways however. Trust me...I love muscles.... I lift a lot because I loooove the glamour muscles (shoulders, biceps triceps) but I know its far fetched to want to have guns like my dad. lol. Women should look strong but softer anyways. You look good. i think you can probably get a little bigger but...not much. How big were trying to get? (pic)...

True. Women don't bulk up. They get toned.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    It is a myth. She was being sarcastic. Muscle is conditioned or not conditioned. You don't "tone" it. You can "tone it up" though. Semantics, yes, but it irks me because the terminology was created to "trick" women that they were lifting weights to not condition muscle the same way a man would if he lifted weights. Kineosiology doesn't change with gender.

IDEA Fitness member

Call it what you want, she is toned as toned can be.
  • jvinmill
    jvinmill Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Started lifting heavy today. Nice to see another example of the body waiting for me.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It is a myth. She was being sarcastic. Muscle is conditioned or not conditioned. You don't "tone" it. You can "tone it up" though. Semantics, yes, but it irks me because the terminology was created to "trick" women that they were lifting weights to not condition muscle the same way a man would if he lifted weights. Kineosiology doesn't change with gender.

IDEA Fitness member

I call it more HOT than "toned".

IDEA Fitness member
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    tone/tōn/
    Noun:
    The overall quality of a musical or vocal sound: "the piano tone is lacking in warmth".
    Verb:
    Give greater strength or firmness to (the body or a part of it): "exercise tones up the muscles".
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I call it more HOT than "toned".

IDEA Fitness member

I don't use the word "hot" when describing people. You can use it all you want though. :wink:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You look healthy, athletic, and great! Good job! Keep on liftin'!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    But that's the point. From a technical point of view, it's not "toned," just like my hair isn't "black."

Rae is what a strong, muscular woman, who's not on steroids or at extremely low body fat percentage, looks like.

When women say they want to look toned, though, she's what they want to look like. But not many of them want to do the work it takes to look like that. (And in reality, doing the work it takes to look like that isn't really any harder than spending hours on an elliptical and doing countless reps with low weights.)
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    :love: You look FABulous! Keep up the hard work, Rae. You continue to motivate and inspire those with your results. You are strong beautiful woman!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    tone/tōn/
    Noun:
    The overall quality of a musical or vocal sound: "the piano tone is lacking in warmth".
    Verb:
    Give greater strength or firmness to (the body or a part of it): "exercise tones up the muscles".
    Exactly what I stated. You "tone up" muscle, you don't "tone" it. Kinda like saying you "tune up" a car, you don't "tune" it.

Got it now?

IDEA Fitness member
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    tone/tōn/
    Noun:
    Verb:
    Exactly what I stated. You "tone up" muscle, you don't "tone". Kinda like saying you "tune up" a car, you don't "tune" it.

Got it now?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer0
    IDEA Fitness member

Um, hello? Did you even read the definition? LMFAO

You can dislike English all you want, but it is what it is. :ohwell:

As for myself, I'm a bit of a verbal prestidigitator sometimes. Other times, I just like to play with people's heads, especially when they have head trips they can't shake. :wink: The truth is inescapable. She is toned, fo' sho' :laugh:
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    AWFUL, just awful. All muscle-y and gross. I bet no one else would want to get all bulky like that.

:-)
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    that is freakin' awesome
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! You look awesome!
  • jumatwins
    Options
    Wow.you look really amazing! Very inspiring for me who wants to try and start lifting weights !!
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Congrats on your success!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    But that's the point. From a technical point of view, it's not "toned," just like my hair isn't "black."

Rae is what a strong, muscular woman, who's not on steroids or at extremely low body fat percentage, looks like.

When women say they want to look toned, though, she's what they want to look like. But not many of them want to do the work it takes to look like that. (And in reality, doing the work it takes to look like that isn't really any harder than spending hours on an elliptical and doing countless reps with low weights.)

Actually, it isn't the same as your hair analogy at all. Maybe you guys that don't like the word "toned" will like the medical dictionary definition better.

Medical Dictionary
    tone (tōn)
    n.

The quality or character of sound.

The character of voice expressing an emotion.

The normal state of elastic tension or partial contraction in resting muscles.

Normal firmness of a tissue or an organ.

v. toned , ton·ing , tones
    To give tone or firmness to.

So when I say, "She is toned." The subject is "she" and the verb is "is toned." ("Is" acts as a helping verb in this case, to further modify the state of toned.)

Hope that helps. Either way, I am LMAO at the hatred for the word "toned." Some people don't like the word "*kitten*" either, but it's a viable word as well. LMFAO :laugh:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!