Darn hit. Heavy lifting left me "toned".

Options

Replies

• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Friday+-+Damn_.gif

^ This lol

You look wonderful!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    tone/tōn/
    Noun:
    The overall quality of a musical or vocal sound: "the piano tone is lacking in warmth".
    Verb:
    Give greater strength or firmness to (the body or a part of it): "exercise tones up the muscles".
    Exactly what I stated. You "tone up" muscle, you don't "tone". Kinda like saying you "tune up" a car, you don't "tune" it.

Got it now?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer0
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Um, hello? Did you even read the definition? LMFAO

You can dislike English all you want, but it is what it is. :ohwell:

As for myself, I'm a bit of a verbal prestidigitator sometimes. Other times, I just like to play with people's heads, especially when they have head trips they can't shake. :wink: The truth is inescapable. She is toned, fo' sho' :laugh:
    Where does it say in the definition "exercise TONES the muscle"?

It doesn't, it says it "tones up" the muscle. That's an ACTION. That's NOT the same a " toned" which is an adjective. 2 distinctive separate words to describe how a muscle is affected by exercise. Again an action. Look at the application again according to the definition.

Maybe English isn't your strong point.:wink:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    tone/tōn/
    Noun:
    The overall quality of a musical or vocal sound: "the piano tone is lacking in warmth".
    Verb:
    Give greater strength or firmness to (the body or a part of it): "exercise tones up the muscles".
    Exactly what I stated. You "tone up" muscle, you don't "tone". Kinda like saying you "tune up" a car, you don't "tune" it.

Got it now?

IDEA Fitness member

As for myself, I'm a bit of a verbal prestidigitator sometimes. Other times, I just like to play with people's heads, especially when they have head trips they can't shake. :wink: The truth is inescapable. She is toned, fo' sho' :laugh:

It doesn't, it says it "tones up" the muscle. That's an ACTION. That's NOT the same a "toning, toned, etc."which is an adjective. 2 distinctive separate words to describe how a muscle is affected by exercise. Again an action. Look at the application again according to the definition.

IDEA Fitness member

LMFAO

I love this. You are too funny.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I hate to highjack a thread, but I am loving this.

Anyone know what a verb is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US8mGU1MzYw
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    tone/tōn/
    Noun:
    Verb:

Got it now?

IDEA Fitness member

It doesn't, it says it "tones up" the muscle. That's an ACTION. That's NOT the same a "toning, toned, etc."which is an adjective. 2 distinctive separate words to describe how a muscle is affected by exercise. Again an action. Look at the application again according to the definition.

IDEA Fitness member

LMFAO

I love this. You are too funny.
    I know. But I also speak truth.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Friday+-+Damn_.gif
    Bahahaha...best movie ever.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Thanks for hijacking the board! Not sure she meant for that to happen. You two should agree to disagree.

You look GREAT!!!!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I am the original poster. I was using the word "toned" sarcastically. I do not like the word "toned" primarily because of it's use to promote high rep, low weight lifting by women who are afraid of gaining muscles. This word panders to the fear some women have of becoming "bulky" (another word I don't like). Regardless of the exact definition of the word, I'd be happy if it (and "bulky") were dropped from fitness vocabulary. This sarcastic post was inspired by someone commenting on my blog that I was "toned" and it annoyed me.

I have not become "toned". I have increased my muscle mass and I have lowered my body fat (not all at the same time).
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Whatever the heck you want to call it or how you did it...you look awesome. Thanks for sharing with other women how they can achieve those results! :wink:
  • mistymamas
    mistymamas Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Friday+-+Damn_.gif

LMAO!!!! This was my thoughts exactly!!!!!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Actually, it isn't the same as your hair analogy at all. Maybe you guys that don't like the word "toned" will like the medical dictionary definition better.

The normal state of elastic tension or partial contraction in resting muscles.
    This is the only accurate and viable definition when applied to muscle tissue from a biomechanical viewpoint. Just because it appears in layman's dictionaries due to a gross and repeated misunderstanding does not make it applicable in the world of kinesiology. The "toned" look you keep harping about is actually more about the "firmness" of the skin due to a combination of increased lean muscle mass and lower body fat percentage.
  • hteejay
    hteejay Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Friday+-+Damn_.gif

WOW.. GOOD AZZ JOB!!!!
  • shellybean73
    shellybean73 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Friday+-+Damn_.gif

hahaaa!!!!

I think you look great!!! WTG!
  • fitnfancy80
    fitnfancy80 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Friday+-+Damn_.gif

^^^^love this...hahahha
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Great work, congrats.
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Friday+-+Damn_.gif
    ^^^^^^^^ That!!
  • nikkishai
    nikkishai Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Impressive!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Rae, you look amazing as always. You have worked DAMN hard and should be very proud.

To the toning argument, I'm standing here with some xanax in my hand. Free. Seriously... take it and chill the f*** out.
  • JimmyManess
    Options
    Assuming your topic is not sarcasm...
    To get bulky, you must do moderate weight, sticking with mostly basic, compound movements - high sets (3-6) per body part and high reps (8-12) - and eat enough calories (consisting of approx. 40% protein, 40% low glycemic carbs, and 20% or less good healthy fats) to promote muscle gain and fat loss. I say you look great as you are, but if you want to bulk up, try the above and see what happens. Also, make sure you are getting plenty of sleep, and enough recovery time (minmum 48 hours) between training each individual muscle group. [Example: if working biceps on Monday, do not work them again until at least Wednesday.]

One other simple trick to gain mass. Assuming you are eating a mostly clean diet, try eating the same way you have been, don't change a thing, but supplement 1 quart per day of fat free milk, above and beyond your normal diet. If you normally dink 1 quart per day start drinking 2 per day. It's the simplest cheapest way to add calories with protein, minimal carbs, and 0 fat. of course you can spread that out all through the day.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I am the original poster. I was using the word "toned" sarcastically. I do not like the word "toned" primarily because of it's use to promote high rep, low weight lifting by women who are afraid of gaining muscles. This word panders to the fear some women have of becoming "bulky" (another word I don't like). Regardless of the exact definition of the word, I'd be happy if it (and "bulky") were dropped from fitness vocabulary. This sarcastic post was inspired by someone commenting on my blog that I was "toned" and it annoyed me.

I have not become "toned". I have increased my muscle mass and I have lowered my body fat (not all at the same time).
    QFT.
    Being in the fitness industry for years, I take offense to the fitness industry for bullsh*ting and lying to females about "toning" just so they could get them into the gym to make more profit. The fitness industry knew that females will spend more money on self improvement than a male would so they conned women into thinking that lifting light weights with high reps would result in a more "slim" instead of "bulky" look.
    Should have just told them the truth because as Rachel and other female heavy lifters have proven, it doesn't happen. And still today many females believe the crap about light weights and high reps for "toning". It's utter nonsense. But the fitness industry achieved it's goal because now there's lots of "toning" classes for females.

IDEA Fitness member
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!