Darn hit. Heavy lifting left me "toned".

Options

Replies

• WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Friday+-+Damn_.gif

LMAO...This cracked me UP! Great job!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Assuming your topic is not sarcasm...
    To get bulky, you must do moderate weight, sticking with mostly basic, compound movements - high sets (3-6) per body part and high reps (8-12) - and eat enough calories (consisting of approx. 40% protein, 40% low glycemic carbs, and 20% or less good healthy fats) to promote muscle gain and fat loss. I say you look great as you are, but if you want to bulk up, try the above and see what happens. Also, make sure you are getting plenty of sleep, and enough recovery time (minmum 48 hours) between training each individual muscle group. [Example: if working biceps on Monday, do not work them again until at least Wednesday.]

One other simple trick to gain mass. Assuming you are eating a mostly clean diet, try eating the same way you have been, don't change a thing, but supplement 1 quart per day of fat free milk, above and beyond your normal diet. If you normally dink 1 quart per day start drinking 2 per day. It's the simplest cheapest way to add calories with protein, minimal carbs, and 0 fat. of course you can spread that out all through the day.
    I'm sure she knows this since she's done a bulk on her own with good results.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Actually, it isn't the same as your hair analogy at all. Maybe you guys that don't like the word "toned" will like the medical dictionary definition better.

The normal state of elastic tension or partial contraction in resting muscles.
    This is the only accurate and viable definition when applied to muscle tissue from a biomechanical viewpoint. Just because it appears in layman's dictionaries due to a gross and repeated misunderstanding does not make it applicable in the world of kinesiology. The "toned" look you keep harping about is actually more about the "firmness" of the skin due to a combination of increased lean muscle mass and lower body fat percentage.

The definition of "toned" is firmness....so um yeah.....:laugh:
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I am the original poster. I was using the word "toned" sarcastically. I do not like the word "toned" primarily because of it's use to promote high rep, low weight lifting by women who are afraid of gaining muscles. This word panders to the fear some women have of becoming "bulky" (another word I don't like). Regardless of the exact definition of the word, I'd be happy if it (and "bulky") were dropped from fitness vocabulary. This sarcastic post was inspired by someone commenting on my blog that I was "toned" and it annoyed me.

I have not become "toned". I have increased my muscle mass and I have lowered my body fat (not all at the same time).

Rae, you rock and you look great! You also crack me up!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! I have arm envy....:blushing:
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Friday+-+Damn_.gif

Hahaha! ^^^ This!! Nice job!! You go, girl!! You look great!
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Actually, it isn't the same as your hair analogy at all. Maybe you guys that don't like the word "toned" will like the medical dictionary definition better.

This is the only accurate and viable definition when applied to muscle tissue from a biomechanical viewpoint. Just because it appears in layman's dictionaries due to a gross and repeated misunderstanding does not make it applicable in the world of kinesiology. The "toned" look you keep harping about is actually more about the "firmness" of the skin due to a combination of increased lean muscle mass and lower body fat percentage.

pe·dan·tic   [puh-dan-tik]
    adjective
    1. ostentatious in one's learning.
    2. overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, especially in teaching.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

377238_3304224339420_848939325_n-1.jpg
  • HeinzPrincess
    Options
    Sorry. I was trying to be a smart *kitten* and therefor my post wasn't very informative.

My blog has more photos (and the photos includes my legs, which shows there's more work to be done):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Rae6503

For the first year after my kid was born (orange shirt was shortly after) I just watched what I ate, nursed, and worked out sporadically. This brought me from about 180lbs to 161lbs. Last summer I did Turbo Fire, and MFP, eating around 2000 calories net (and yes, eating exercise calories so 2300 total or so). This brought me down to 150lbs.

I started "heavy lifting" in October. I started with New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. In about mid-October I started eating at a calorie surplus. First starting around 2600 net, then moving to 2800 net, so over 3000 a day total. In December I switched to an upper/lower body split designed for hypertrophy containg both compound moves and isolation. This brought be back up to 160lbs.

From Jan until July I did StrongLifts5x5 and ate around maintenance (so yeah, not a whole lot of difference). Since then I've been doing a modified version of StrongLifts, 3x5 with biceps and triceps added to workout B, and abs and calves added to A. I've also been doing 2 hour mountain bike rides once or twice a week this summer.

:heart: I am doing Turbo Fire (week 3) and yesterday was the first time I ate 2200 calories. I felt FANTASTIC, I had the best workout of my LIFE! So great to read this post! Next step is to get healthier calories in me and start lifting. Thanks so much for sharing!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

pe·dan·tic   [puh-dan-tik]
    adjective
    1. ostentatious in one's learning.
    2. overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, especially in teaching.

Good one! :bigsmile:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

377238_3304224339420_848939325_n-1.jpg

He is adorable! :flowerforyou:
  • ZoeLifts
    Options

I'm going to jump in here an attempt an analogy to explain why so many of us dislike the term tone. Let's pretend the term we are actually talking about is "broad" As in, "check out that broad". In the sense of being a noun, broad is defined as a woman. Now at one point in time, broad was a fairly vogue term to describe a woman, though it was still used in a derogatory manner, but it was used to get a certain point across. Now, I don't know about you, but I don't particularly like being called a "broad", it rubs me the wrong way and has a negative connotation to it. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Am I a woman? Why yes, yes I am. Why shouldn't I want to be called broad, then, it's in the dictionary. Because I don't like it and I don't like the negative effects it has upon society.

This also happens to be how I feel about "tone". The word is used irresponsibly in the fitness industry, and it has a negative effect upon society.

Its a loose analogy, I'm sure there are as many holes as Swiss cheese, but there you go. It's how my mind works...
  • jhner
    jhner Posts: 66
    Options
    I want your arms!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    Great job. You look amazing.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I'm going to jump in here an attempt an analogy to explain why so many of us dislike the term tone. Let's pretend the term we are actually talking about is "broad" As in, "check out that broad". In the sense of being a noun, broad is defined as a woman. Now at one point in time, broad was a fairly vogue term to describe a woman, though it was still used in a derogatory manner, but it was used to get a certain point across. Now, I don't know about you, but I don't particularly like being called a "broad", it rubs me the wrong way and has a negative connotation to it. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Am I a woman? Why yes, yes I am. Why shouldn't I want to be called broad, then, it's in the dictionary. Because I don't like it and I don't like the negative effects it has upon society.

This also happens to be how I feel about "tone". The word is used irresponsibly in the fitness industry, and it has a negative effect upon society.

Its a loose analogy, I'm sure there are as many holes as Swiss cheese, but there you go. It's how my mind works...

I think you should be mad at the fitness industry then, not a word with a specific meaning. I think it's hilarious that so many people get their panties in a wad over it. It's like refusing to use the word hamburger because that's what McDonald's calls the crap they sell. :laugh:

ETA: (And for the record: the word "broad" as applied to a female is slang. The word tone is not slang.)
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    Outstanding!!!
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Holy hot mama! You look stunning! Love the hair :)
  • QueenCaldwell1
    Options
    Probably loads of protein shakes and supplements. We ARE women. I don't think its a easy thing to accomplish. Be happy, you look great. :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Probably loads of protein shakes and supplements. We ARE women. I don't think its a easy thing to accomplish. Be happy, you look great. :)

I was being sarcastic.

And I drink a protein shake a day, so women shouldn't be afraid of those either.
  • ZoeLifts
    Options

I think you should be mad at the fitness industry then, not a word with a specific meaning. I think it's hilarious that so many people get their panties in a wad over it. It's like refusing to use the word hamburger because that's what McDonald's calls the crap they sell. :laugh:
    and it has a negative effect upon society

Apparently you didn't finish reading my post. Let me help you out there.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!