• Myndi73
    Myndi73 Posts: 270
    Options
    You could mind your own business

THIS!!!!
  • maspicantexfa
    maspicantexfa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I used to work with a woman who wore clubwear to work. Sure, her body was bangin' but it still didn't reflect appropriately on the company when she would come to work with leather pants that left nothing to the imagination, tops that showed the lower back tattoo, or in one case, white bell bottoms slit up the side to the thighs. Her supervisor eventually talked to her about it when he was done looking, I guess. It wasn't up to me to say anything to her at all, that would have just created an awkward situation.
  • Sthrncupcake
    Sthrncupcake Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Really...a sweater bothers you so much that you are asking random strangers on a fitness site their advise....its a sweater! Who cares!
    Let HR/Management handle...if it's THAT inappropriate...surely they would have seen too.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    Go to HR.

You dont go to HR because of a sweater..come on people, chill.

no doubt...poor choice on her part... really, is it harming you? If you don't like it don't look.

I agree. Don't go to HR over this. I (personally) don't think they would take you too seriously. Plus, unless something is harming myself or others, I don't want to be the one eveyone has to walk on egg shells around. Let someone else be that person.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Yeah - as a general rule you should never be able to see one intimate garments at work! EWWW!!

I couldn't see myself going to HR about it to complain though. That seems a bit extreme. I think the "maybe you didn't realize" method would work better
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Eh I would just keep my mouth shut. It is the managers/hr depertment job to decide what violates dress code and enforce it.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I am frequently in this situation. I don't really care personally, because it's their body and I'm quite sure they know what they look like when they left the house.

If her boobs were in my face all day though, that would be different. Otherwise I just ignore it.
  • CMASAM22
    CMASAM22 Posts: 17
    Options
    Next time she wears it Walk by her and say " Nice Bra" and walk off....

Hopefully she will get the hint, We had a gal in our medical office who's scrubs were ripping out and would often wear them weeks in a row, they would begin to smell like rancid cooking oil,,,it was bad, and a very aqward conversation to have with someone,,, good thing I didnt have to do it!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have seen that happen in my work environment. I work at a Financial Institution so you need to be sort of conservative.

I don't do anything because I really don't care what others wear. In my mind I might be making fun of them or thinking how innapropiate but it isn't any of my business.

Going to HR is a bit too much IMO
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I used to work with a woman who wore clubwear to work. Sure, her body was bangin' but it still didn't reflect appropriately on the company when she would come to work with leather pants that left nothing to the imagination, tops that showed the lower back tattoo, or in one case, white bell bottoms slit up the side to the thighs. Her supervisor eventually talked to her about it when he was done looking, I guess. It wasn't up to me to say anything to her at all, that would have just created an awkward situation.

WHOA!! :noway:

And I put on a sweater to walk from my office the bathroom so I am not bare armed!
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Make like Lennon and let it be. It's your choice to look or not look, but HR has much bigger fires to put out than a slightly see through sweater. Good on her for being able to rock it with confidence, I say!
  • KittyMarie13
    Options
    Once upon a time I used to have a coworker that was a bigger girl (which I am also so it's not about that) that spends the summer wearing shorts that are well above the knee and shirts that do not always cover over her stomach. The clothes also looked fairly dirty and were definitely not appropriate for even a casual work environment. She also apparently had a problem with combing her hair. No one was willing to broach the topic of clothing with her, though, because she also was one of those people who had a never ending stream of dramatic occurrences in her life and she would never stop talking once you initiated conversation.

I have compassion for people who are living through tough circumstances, but this woman was putting in absolutely 0 effort, especially in areas like personal hygiene when our office was business casual. (also in the healthcare field)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    One of the woman's sweaters, that she's worn twice, is THAT big of a bother? To complain about her to HR?

Wow.

Maybe I should hand out xanax over here too.
  • HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It not only makes her look bad, it makes the company look bad. People are very judgemental, especially clients/business partners. If I were in there, making a business deal, and saw that... It wouldn't bode well.

^^^^THIS: I work for a large, well-known company, and have potential clients and/or customers coming in all day long. We are expected to dress and act in a professional manner at all times. I don't understand how people don't think this is a big deal. I get if it's in your personal everyday life, then wear whatever the hell you want, but in the workplace, it's not just you who's affected by your behavior/attire. The entire operation could potentially suffer.

ETA: Like others have said, I probably would just pull her aside next time and approach it as if she didn't know her bra was showing. I wouldn't go to HR about it...
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If she's 50, she knows and she doesn't give a ***t. It's one of the benefits of getting older :smile:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    One of the woman's sweaters, that she's worn twice, is THAT big of a bother? To complain about her to HR?

Wow.

Maybe I should hand out xanax over here too.

Could you pass me some? Just reading these threads is stressing me out today and I haven't even commented...
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    No i do not work with anyone like that.
    I'm probably the worst dressed at work. Being it is a construction company everything is always dusty or has tar covering it.
    I wear black yoga pants the majority of the time, basic sweater with either flats or flip flops.
    You can't wear anything nice to work here because it will just get dirty.
    The other receptionist usually wears cargo type skirt with a plain tank top and then a work shirt with flip flops or sometimes wedges.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Yes. I know someone like that. Cant say too much but I will mention that its very sad.
  • catwoman131
    Options
    Mmmm I LOVE walking around my office barefoot
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    My boss turns up to work dressed like a teenager going out to meet her chums at the weekend. Skinny jeans, mini skirts, leopard print tunics etc. I'm a manager in a hospital office and she's a step above me and in her 30's. I don't care if she's got the figure for it, dressing like a teenager at work is not appropriate. I tried speaking to her, and then her boss, but the attire has only marginally improved and as a result people don't respect her as they can't take her seriously. Her loss.