Inappropriate work attire...*shudder*

Options

Replies

• rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    I don't get paid to tattle.
    I'll just make fun of the person & proceed with the rest of my day.

We have to wear uniforms to work and people still look like crap.
    Too tight, wrinkled, faded.
    Ugh.
    But it's not my place to say anything.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    LoL...everyone's so up in arms.

I was sharing an awkward story-hoping someone else had a similarly awkward story...instead people come up with "Mind your own business"...I can't help it...I mean...she was standing right next to me for most of the day. It's awkward.

I was not asking for advice...but thanks SO much to those who were willing to give it.
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of slipping my shoes off... but I'm seriously considering buying some slippers for working at my desk. I'm pretty much hidden from the world, but I still try to dress nice for the most part, just in case someone randomly decides to stop by and ask if I'm in and if they can meet me. In my career and my specialty, we seem like mythical creatures that can never be spotted, so colleagues are constantly asking if I'm in the office and if they can see me. It's a little daunting... but I've learned to dress to impress for that reason. Most days, anyway.

A mythical creature...I am soooo curious as to what you do!!!
  • paytonOMG
    paytonOMG Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Go to HR.

This.

I worked with a girl at an animal hospital who wore low rise jeans and always had plumber's crack. We typically wore scrub tops, but whatever bottoms we wanted. And it was a job that involved a lot of bending and stooping. It got so bad that the boss changed our dress code that we ALL had to only wear scrub pants. And she still managed to show *kitten*. :noway:

We all have buttcracks...it's not that serious.
  • nikkolec
    nikkolec Posts: 204
    Options
    I don't react to this kind of stuff until I see a nipple.

This is why you are my favorite friend.
  • TheUglyFriend
    Options
    Not gonna lie... Ill probably be that 50 year old when I'm older.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Go to HR.

This.

I worked with a girl at an animal hospital who wore low rise jeans and always had plumber's crack. We typically wore scrub tops, but whatever bottoms we wanted. And it was a job that involved a lot of bending and stooping. It got so bad that the boss changed our dress code that we ALL had to only wear scrub pants. And she still managed to show *kitten*. :noway:

We all have buttcracks...it's not that serious.

Doesn't mean I want to see everyone's :P
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Not trying to one up ya.. but I had a cube neighbor once who was a cat horder. I'll gladly take some older lady boobs in my face than to ever have to deal with the smell that hit you once this lady stepped off the elevator. Regardless of the number of times she would shower the smell was in her clothes, hair and in her skin. She was put on several warnings, because some people in the office would physically get sick when she came in.

^^ THis is more what I was aiming for when I started this thread...more awkward stories. Too bad people are too lazy to read the original post.

Yes...that would be horrible...I mean...you can't really do anything...but it's still awkward. I had to tell someone but I'm not gonna make a stink about it at work...Just wondered if anyone else had been in a smiliar situation.
  • CF4L
    CF4L Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with barefoot at work and if you go to HR over a sweater I think they will let your manager know you obviously don't have enough to do.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    There is nothing more annoying then getting pulled into your boss' office and getting told that your attire is "inappropriate" and that "someone was offended by what you were wearing".

If it bothers you that much say something to HER not HR. Seriously. HR has better things to do then to get involved in a wardrobe issue.

Lols...serioulsy. read the first post. I am looking for wardrobe malfunction stories. I am not planning to "rat" anybody out. Merely amused at someone's wardrobe choice.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    I would be uncomfortable too. working with children here and having to bend over often cause they are small, I wear very conservative clothing. there are some women who don't always know that what they are wearing is not appropriate for the work place and may need to be told. If you had a good relationship with her are you choose your words wisely you might want to mention it that ... people are looking... if it doesn't bother her, then ... and management doesn't care, ,.. she actually may like showing off her stuff... hope it works out for you!

we just have to realize that some people don't care and some like to show it... lol!!! :D

I had a teacher, who was nursing, come to school in a very low and very loose tank top... ummm, your baby isn't here and there are males on staff.... what sane husband would want their wife to wear things like that to work? or anywhere for that matter? geesh!!!
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am 55 years old. When I was 'younger' and working, no one needed a dress code. Everyone dressed appropriately because, well, you were pulled aside and instructed on how to dress or canned if you didn't dress appropriately.

Now, in these 'politically correct' days, people don't mention anything to those who dress inappropriately. Why not?

I have a theory that it is because people think that even though the attire is inappropriate, it may be accepted for that age, race, ethnicity, etc. Thus, to address it would be politically incorrect.

Personally, if I were in your situation, I would just ignore it. Maybe even chuckle a little under my breath about it. Don't make her problem yours.

There is a women who works in my building that is in her 40s. She dresses like a teeny-bopper. The problem is that she is quite heavy and mini-skirts don't look good on her. Couple those skirts with high boots, and, well, she looks like she is going to stand on a corner somewhere soliciting men.

One day I was walking a ways behind her down the hallway. She dropped something and went to bend over to pick it up. She realized that she couldn't pick it up, though, either by bending over or stooping, without showing a bit of caboose. I was half tempted to offer to pick it up, but waited to see what would happen. (me bad) Sure enough, she bent over and her whole caboose was exposed. Thankfully she had on underwear. When she came up, she looked around and realized that I had seen everything. For some reason, she never wore that skirt again - at least not at the office.

Moral of the story is this: Let the woman wear whatever she wants. Eventually she will have an accidental exposure or she will be spoken to by someone higher up. If you mention it to her or to the boss, you are sure to be working with an angry person for at least a month.

You just wanted to see her butt. C'mon. Admit it.

:laugh:
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Who gives a **** about the sweater. If I look awesome at 50 I'll be wearing low cut sweaters too!!

My boss is also 49, looks 30 and has awesome fake boobs. She shows cleavage and I don't mind it at all. I don't find her attractive to ME but her boobs are nice!

Whoa whoa----who said she looked nice or had great boobs. This situation...quite uh...I don't wanna be mean. But...No.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Nope I don't worry about what other people are wearing. If I don't like what they wear, I choose not to wear it myself, and if it "offends" me or "disgusts me" then I just don't look at them. Very simple huh?
  • laprovocateur
    laprovocateur Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    you should accidentally sneeze on her. a lot.
  • pxpwop
    pxpwop Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Go to HR.

You dont go to HR because of a sweater..come on people, chill.

Agreed.. Maybe you are a little more sensitive to her because you don't care for her. The last thing you want is a dress code at work. Or a more stern code if you already have one.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    There is a way to look beautiful and sexy sophisticated without looking trashy. This seems borderline trashy. And I don't think there is an easy way to confront her about it. But if it really bothers you, I would def take it to HR. You have a right to feel comfortable in the workplace.

Well the thing is that I don't think she's doing it on purpose to be sexy or look hot...I don't think she's aware of how it looks honestly. That's why I brought it up. I don't want to hurt her feelings but I'm not all that sure she sees how revealing it is. I Mean....I can see the bra through the shirt.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Nope I don't worry about what other people are wearing. If I don't like what they wear, I choose not to wear it myself, and if it "offends" me or "disgusts me" then I just don't look at them. Very simple huh?

Not when you are forced to spend half the day with her.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Go to HR.

You dont go to HR because of a sweater..come on people, chill.

Agreed.. Maybe you are a little more sensitive to her because you don't care for her. The last thing you want is a dress code at work. Or a more stern code if you already have one.

Oh I have no intention of going to HR people.

She probably has NO idea it's that revealing. She's not a "Look how sexy I am" individual...More like...seeing your mom in a sweater that is so see through you can see the bra. I don't mean the color of the bra through a thin shirt...I mean I can see her bra.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Nothing wrong with barefoot at work and if you go to HR over a sweater I think they will let your manager know you obviously don't have enough to do.

For the last effing time...who said I was going to HR?