Replies

• aries7298
    aries7298 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm in.... I was just thinking about trying this.:grumble:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My god are there ever a lot of alcohol-dependent people here...

(Not those who say they enjoy a drink here and there, and have no desire to give it up. the ones who say they can't possibly imagine giving it up for a month. That's a substance dependency, people...)
    You diagnose remotely based on one statement?
    Impressive.
  • heyshell79
    heyshell79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    There are far too many Fridays and Saturdays in September. I am giving up shaving, though.

This really made me laugh out loud, how I would LOVE to not have to shave!! Anyway, I only have a beer or two on weekends anyway and hockey season doesn't start until October so I AM IN!!
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    Im in !!
  • konekkobaba
    Options
    Been dry since I joined..I'll support.!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    So nice to see so many people on board! I just got my mom on board and am trying to get my dad to give it up for a month...but not having any luck so far! We can do this!
  • Flow2skrillex
    Options
    Sounds very hard. I'd be down seeing as alcohol is my big issue but I know it would last till the weekend.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    *runs away*
    Sorry!!
  • slowspud
    slowspud Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm in. Have not been drinking much at all now for many reasons but had a few too many last week! :wink:
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Awwww come on you chickens! LOL!:laugh:
  • slowspud
    slowspud Posts: 13
    Options
    Lol, not shave for a month!! I would be like king kong. xx
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Moderate alcohol consumption (no more than 1-2 drinks a day) is actually very healthy and good for weight loss. Barring an addiction, there's no good reason to give it up.
    Moderate amounts of red wine has been shown in some studies to be actually beneficial (over no alcohol) for men only.
    Any other alcohol, and any alcohol in women is certainly no problem in moderation, but doesn't do you any benefits.
    If you enjoy it, I'm not saying there's any reason you have to give it up. But don't kid yourself on benefits.
  • kairisika
    Options
    (Not those who say they enjoy a drink here and there, and have no desire to give it up. the ones who say they can't possibly imagine giving it up for a month. That's a substance dependency, people...)
    Impressive.
    If you can't possibly survive your daily life without using alcohol, that's kind of the definition of dependence. It's not a very complicated diagnosis. People are openly admitting they are dependent on it.
    What I don't understand is why that sort of addiction is considered so acceptable.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Impressive.
    If you can't possibly survive your daily life without using alcohol, that's kind of the definition of dependence. It's not a very complicated diagnosis. People are openly admitting they are dependent on it.
    What I don't understand is why that sort of addiction is considered so acceptable.
    I think you're seriously over thinking things. Choosing not to give something up is the not the same as being dependent on it. What's your favorite vegetable? Do you plan on giving it up? Does that mean you are addicted to it?

Making that ridiculously callous claim in this thread insults and disrespects the millions of people around the world suffering and recovering from alcoholism.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I'm in. 33 days sober and counting.
  • mrsains
    mrsains Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yayyyy for a sober September! I haven't drank alcohol for 9 months, so here's to another one! :smile:

I'll tell ya, your bodies and minds will thank you!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Impressive.
    People here also say they can't live without cookies, pizza, and soda. Perhaps hyperbole is at play?
    If I started a "Starbucks free September" thread. People WOULD chime in and say they couldn't give it up. Some would even say they were addicted....
  • kairisika
    Options
    Impressive.
    I think you're seriously over thinking things. Choosing not to give something up is the not the same as being dependent on it. What's your favorite vegetable? Do you plan on giving it up? Does that mean you are addicted to it?
    Making that ridiculously callous claim in this thread insults and disrespects the millions of people around the world suffering and recovering from alcoholism.
    As I mentioned in the first place, there is a difference between people who enjoy a beer, and do so in a healthy moderation and see no reason to give it up as compared to a person who truly can't imagine surviving for a month without dosing their brain with alcohol. It's not a matter of whether you would like to consume the item. It's the people who say they couldn't possibly go with out it. One is enjoying something. The other is depending on it.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I live in Wisconsin. That'd be considered blasphemy and I would be barred from the state. Especially in FOOTBALL season?! :P
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Well, I hardly ever drink anyway, so if the hubby buys a bottle of wine for our anniversary in September, who am I to refuse? :love: