Sober September anyone?

Options

Replies

• DaintyAngelDreams
    Options
    Sure :) I drink next to nothing anyway so shouldn't be too hard.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    Was tough to avoid a beer garden or two today. Might have known it would be a gorgeously hot day and everyone would be out enjoying it.

Ah well, I managed and that is the main thing... but it was touch and go :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm on board for this.

And for anyone criticizing, there are many reasons why some people choose to cut out alcohol and are very happy doing so. There are many ways to enjoy life. Alcohol is not a necessity. Alcohol is not a pleasant experience for everyone. And some people have health issues which do better when alcohol is cut out (I have a pre-existing liver condition). Also, it is a lot of unnecessary empty calories (one more tangible piece of motivation when weighing the pros and cons). It helps when others are doing it as well because alcohol can be such a big part of the culture of celebration, fun, relaxing, and social events all around us. My husband never drinks. I didn't for a decade and started to a little bit recently, but I was happier without it. Not to mention that it saves money.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    How's everyone doing this labor day weekend? So far so good for me! Took the kids on a cave tour today and then dh drug us to Cabela's which I hate but I didn't have any drinks today! Getting up early tomorrow to go running and I hate running with a hangover!
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Also in. Just come back from holiday and I drank every day there and have continued since I got back. Need to stop.
    Oh and yes, I do have a drink problem. I will find this hard to do.
    Was tough to avoid a beer garden or two today. Might have known it would be a gorgeously hot day and everyone would be out enjoying it.
    Ah well, I managed and that is the main thing... but it was touch and go :)
    Sounds like you might be helped by trying to find another activity that you can associate with 'getting out and enjoying a gorgeously hot day' so your brain stops associating it with 'beer garden - no, can't do beer garden - no beer garden' and starts associating it with something else you *would* enjoy as an alternative.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I'm on board!!! Not for October though...because there's my 25th birthday and Halloween to think about hahaha. HOWEVER, I'm ready for this sober september business!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I'm knocked up, so I'm sober until late February!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i would love to do this. gonna drink at my camping trip next weekend, but not much and only that weekend. let's get sober!
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    I'm knocked up, so I'm sober until late February!

Congrats!!!!!!!
  • MommyToCutie
    MommyToCutie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to give it a go, but I'll probably ruin it this weekend or next :ohwell:
  • Sarah777uk
    Options
    I gave up drinking in Feb and I have not looked back. No more hangovers :D

Good Luck everyone - you can do it :)
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    How's everyone doing this labor day weekend? So far so good for me! Took the kids on a cave tour today and then dh drug us to Cabela's which I hate but I didn't have any drinks today! Getting up early tomorrow to go running and I hate running with a hangover!

I lost, I broke and had 3 budlights Sunday night, my fiance and I were at the fair for a concert and all i could find was the beer lol.....
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    Day 7 here and I've not had a beer so far. First couple of days were ahrd. Today will be hard as its Friday and its sunny. Sunday will also be hard as I want to have a barbecue if its hot. However, I've already turned down one offer of drinks over the weekend, so I'm getting there.

Stick with it and no excuses! There will be no survivors!
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I very rarely drink so I am game :)

Hangovers are evil- I get them with one drink but then thats all it takes to get me s***faced so sober is what I prefer to be :happy:
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Pirate, nice to hear you are holding out.

I have temptation coming my way next week, have to go into a pub to check the charity box out, I have decided to have a diet cola or similar, just hope they do not automatically pull a pint of HSB like they have in the past when they see me walking in the door
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Day 7 here and I've not had a beer so far. First couple of days were ahrd. Today will be hard as its Friday and its sunny. Sunday will also be hard as I want to have a barbecue if its hot. However, I've already turned down one offer of drinks over the weekend, so I'm getting there.

Yup, no wine here. It's not "hard" just... a change of pace. I like to have a glass of wine while I cook. So I'm having club soda and bitters. cheers!
  • Lisa1971
    Options

Yup, no wine here. It's not "hard" just... a change of pace. I like to have a glass of wine while I cook. So I'm having club soda and bitters. cheers!

Me too! So now I put some sparking water in a wine glass with some mio and pretend it's my wine! :)
  • reallifealien
    reallifealien Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    i intend to stay away from alcohol this month! although freshers week starts on the 30th of september so i'll have to make that an exception! xD
  • cafeconalma
    Options
    Count me in for sober Sept.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    God today was tough! Hot sunny Sunday and I was walking past beer gardens and pubs with people stood or sat outside enjoying cold beers and ciders. Yesterday my partner was off with her mates drinking in York. I DID feel a little smug when I was sober this morning and she was hung over though.

I've found that I'm eating more as I'm not drinking. I think in the past I would feel hungry and instead have a beer and the appetite would go... which wasnt a good thing as if anything, I want to put on weight. So thats a bonus and alcohol is so damned expensive these days that I am for sure noticing the difference in my pocket.