Does anyone else count house work as exercise?

Options
I was just wondering how many people do this..or would it be considered cheating..because I just started to log an activity that makes me break a sweat in exercise log..at first I just logged the 2 to 4 miles a day I walk in..but then I noticed house cleaning was listed..so started to use that too..and I was thinking about adding the stair climbing I do several times a day as well..

Replies

• BirdieNYC
    BirdieNYC Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I personally don't log much exercise outside of running or elliptical, etc. For instance, I walk at least a mile a day, to and from the subway, and yet I never log that because I set my activity level to account for that.

I think it's better to underestimate and not log every little piece of activity, bc ultimately, iyou're just racking up a calorie deficit that may not necessarily be true. And then you might get tempted to eat back those calories which may work against your goals.

Now that being said, if your goal is not weight loss, then maybe you want to log for different reasons, and that then is a different story.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    No, I count that as already part of my total daily activities.
  • lizzie1030
    Options
    I think it's a little bit like cheating. I have counted it in the past though. I only counted it if I set the timer for an hour and did heavy cleaning non stop including up and down the stairs, vaccuuming etc. at a strong pace for the entire hour without stopping. (I really got a lot of housework done) - but if it's just general cleaning like you do on a normal basis, I wouldn't count it.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    No.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I personally don't log much exercise outside of running or elliptical, etc. For instance, I walk at least a mile a day, to and from the subway, and yet I never log that because I set my activity level to account for that.

I think it's better to underestimate and not log every little piece of activity, bc ultimately, iyou're just racking up a calorie deficit that may not necessarily be true. And then you might get tempted to eat back those calories which may work against your goals.

Now that being said, if your goal is not weight loss, then maybe you want to log for different reasons, and that then is a different story.

^ I go with this mentality as well. I don't log the time I spend mowing my lawn, but I know it's exercise. I'd rather cheat myself out of some calories burned and not eat them back since I'm not sure how accurate "Mowing lawn - general" is on MFP. I just log the things I do in the gym or when I'm purposefully exercising.
  • DevonW32
    DevonW32 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes I do, vaccuming, sweeeping walking up and down the steps doing laundry, is all burning cals
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Hey, if you're not sitting on your *kitten*, you're burning calories.
  • DevonW32
    DevonW32 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    yea it's hard to log but it does count as excercise
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't log normal housework, but I do log "the in-laws are coming for a visit" cleaning. They're allergic to cats and we have seven, so it's far above and beyond normal cleaning. If I have to move furniture and climb ladders, I'm logging it.

I'll also log heavier yard work and shoveling snow.
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    If it's more than 2 hours and i'm scrubbing, yes
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't (unless it's something like moving out of an apartment :)

I just consider it bonus calories burned to my overall weightloss goals.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Normal day to day stuff, including laundry, cooking, dishes, vaccuming - no Heavy duty - wall scrubbing etc yes.:smile:
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of house work. If I am just doing dishes or something where I am just standing around then no I usually don't but If I am running up and down stairs and moving around alot then i will count it.
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    i do...but i vigorously clean like scrubbing floors on my hands and knees, wiping down my walls,...this is what I log as cleaning...a lot of people say you shouldnt do that..but i do =)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    exercise is exercise. i don't count cleaning, moving, yardwork, or anything like that.

i was thinking about it today at the gym. during my cool down walk on the treadmill. i mean, would i log my walk to the gym as part of my work out?? no. i log anything extra strenuous.

yes, i know cleaning, yard work, cooking, etc etc can be strenuous... but come on. seriously?? nine times out of ten, you're cheating yourself.
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If I work up a sweat cleaning, it gets logged.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    No, unless I am moving around furniture or doing yard work. I plan on moving all the furniture and cleaning carpets this week end. I will count this but not count any of the usual housework.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm dripping sweat right now folding my laundry and chatting on MFP. It's hot out. It doesn't mean folding laundry is a calorie burn ;)
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    If you're breathing heavy and sweating you're burning calories. I count my house cleaning as exercise because of the pace at which I do it. If you're in doubt, use a HRM and see what it says you're doing. But I also am not of the "eat back your calories" mind set.

Contrary to what many on here seem to think exercise really can happen out side of a gym.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Only if it is out of the ordinary and only because I am set to sedentary. Grocery shopping, normal cooking and cleaning: no. Cooking a 3 hour meal, I log 2 hours. Scrub the house all day, I count half of the time. I also count mowing the lawn since I used to make my husband do it every time and most truly sedentary people wouldn't.

Walk to my car or around my office: no. Walk 20 minutes to lunch: yes. Up to you!