Does anyone else count house work as exercise?

Options

Replies

• abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I do, but not my everyday little stuff, like loading the dishwasher, etc. However, when I do a huge clean, with lots of dusting, scrubbing, moving, etc and I am sweating, I absolutely do!

I have a HRM so I can track better on things if I am actually getting my heart rate up or not.

And remember, do what works for you. and dont let anyone tell you you are "cheating" etc. If you personally feel it's cheating, don't do it, but do what feels right for you!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Whether you should count it depends on the activity level you based your calorie goal on. If you calculated based on being sedentary, you should count it. Any other activity level l would say no.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is it
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I do count housework (only "light" no matter what I am doing), but not necessarily for the full time since I have little breaks and parenting issues. I also don't generally eat my exercise calories. I have a mostly sedentary life, so two to four hours of housework is significant exercise for me. However, once I lose more weight and get more active on a daily basis, I will no longer count housework.

Edit: I don't count the light, day-to-day housework, just the big stuff on the weekend.
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If I work up a sweat cleaning, it gets logged.

same here...I feel like I'm always cleaning but unless I'm down scrubbing floors, moving furniture around etc. (anything that would make me sweat or feel really tired) I don't log it. And I usually put less time than I actually spent because I don't want to over estimate.
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    If I got fat doing it, I don't log it. I cleaned all the time and still got fat... Just my opinion.
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Oh and I always do 'light effort'....again because I don't want to over estimate.
  • kutterba
    kutterba Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I never count "tidying up." however, if it takes me half an hour and I move furniture, then yes I do. I only clean like that about once a month.
  • ssp1977
    ssp1977 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Never.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I personally don't log much exercise outside of running or elliptical, etc. For instance, I walk at least a mile a day, to and from the subway, and yet I never log that because I set my activity level to account for that.

I think it's better to underestimate and not log every little piece of activity, bc ultimately, iyou're just racking up a calorie deficit that may not necessarily be true. And then you might get tempted to eat back those calories which may work against your goals.

Now that being said, if your goal is not weight loss, then maybe you want to log for different reasons, and that then is a different story.

Absolutely well said. If I remember correctly, when you're setting your account up, it asks you what kind of lifestyle you live. So the activity level should already be factored into your goals and calorie count. I could be wrong. You can log it, just don't set yourself up to eat more than you're burning unless it's on purpose :)
  • fififox
    fififox Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    It depends. Some days I can spend 4 or 5 hours doing housework - including vacuuming a pretty large house, mopping half the floors in it, up and down stairs a million times (I must walk miles around the house) repatriating laundry , toys, miscellaneous items, changing beds, cleaning windows, scrubbing cooker, fronts of presses, scrubbing showers,......etc. I would not log 5 hours - usually I would log it as just half an hour - if even only to acknowledge the effort I have put in. The few calories credit I get loggin half an hour couldn't possibly be too generous for the time and effort I have done - I fairly fly around the house at times. So I have no problem taking a little of the credit. TBH on days like that I would be lucky if I still had the energy or enthusiasm for exercising after the kids have gone to bed. On a light day where I just tip around doing general bits like dishwasher, laundry, light clean up I don't log.
  • TXGirl821
    TXGirl821 Posts: 115
    Options
    Back when I wasn't exercising regularly, I counted housework and shopping as my activities because that was about the only time I got off my butt and even walking around the grocery store was enough to tire me out for hours. But now that I'm in the gym more frequently and doing a weekly training session, I don't count that stuff anymore, it's just a normal part of my day.
  • Stacey3981
    Options
    I do! I have a desk job, so I base my BMR on a "sedentary" lifestyle. I work out 6 times a week and on the weekends I'm constantly moving. I like to log every activity that makes me sweat. I feel like it motivates me to see how many calories I can burn in a day but I try not to eat more than my normal goal of 1200-1500 regardless of how many I burn. I also know that there's really no way to account for the "afterburn" effect of resistance training, so I know I'm not getting credit for the extra calories I burn on my strength days.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

And remember, do what works for you. and dont let anyone tell you you are "cheating" etc. If you personally feel it's cheating, don't do it, but do what feels right for you!

For me its cheating if I don't log lol. Its ok for me to add and then be aware I am under my calorie goal but for me its not ok for me to be under my goal and not be aware of it :-)
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    No. Activity and exercise are 2 different things in my world. Im also a server and run my rear off when Im at work but dont count that either since my heart rate never rises and I dont count trays as heavy lifting. I have myself set as mildly active too. Life happens- its NOT exercise. Now... if you deep clean for 4 hours and move furniture- I guess then you could take something- but daily cleaning - no way would I.

Of course- if it is such a heavy burden day to day maybe you can - my housework I just dont feel is- just normal life. Cant log every time I get off my rear as 'exercise' Id think..
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    so I get that house cleaning = moving = burning calories. But in terms of weight loss etc I have a question....

Did you not clean your house before you started cutting calories?

Im assuming so, so how can that make a difference?

The difference is in tracking your intake. I would go to the gym, walk, bike, do weights with machines, swim, and all of those other things everyone obviously considers "real" exercise but still never lost scale weight for years.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Since I'm up and moving and doing work, I count it!
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    When we had to bug bomb the house and then take out every single dish, pot, silverware and utensil in the house and wash it, scrub out the cupboards and put it all back -- heck yeah, I so counted that!! Didn't have time for much else exercise those two days and I sweated so that makes it count in my book. My normal, routine maintenance daily housework -- no, I figure that in my normal daily activity level and keep it as much as possible at maintenance level so it doesn't become a PROJECT LEVEL sweat producing task every single day cause that makes me super cranky!! So up to you -- if you do enough to break a sweat, I'd say go for it, count it! :o)
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    House work I only count if it's like a major clean, like the whole house or apartment.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm set to 'sedentary', I still don't count it. Anything that I was doing before I started my healthier habits I don't count.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I rarely log house work and/or yard work. I don't log normal day-to-day cleaning or upkeep, nor do I add the times I go up and down the stairs in the course of a day as "stair climbing."

I will log cleaning if I do strenuous activities for an extended period of time. This past Saturday, I vigorously swept, mopped and vacuumed every floor in the house, including lugging the vaccuum up and down the stairs without resting, and also cleaned all three bathrooms. I definitely felt like I'd worked out after I did it. I purposely cleaned harder and rested less than normal, because I knew I would miss the gym that day.

My activity is set to sedentary, so I don't feel guilty logging occasional episodes of heavy cleaning or moving furniture/heavy boxes. I do think that adding every day cleaning and normal trips up and down the stairs is a little excessive. In the end, it only affects you, so do what you think is best for your own fitness and health.