paralympics

Options

Replies

• NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Nope, no coverage. We are about to start the college football (real football, not soccer) season and the NFL. Nobody would be watching the paralympics.

Think again, this is the biggest ever Paralympics, tickets almost sold out 2.5million on offer - 2.4million sold. It is a shame the US could not even use one of it's 100 channels to air it.

The U.S. is not a social government. They don't force companies to do their bidding. If I am a TV broadcaster and I say "hey, if I air this, I will lose 20million dollars of possible profit" - my next statement won't be "yaye lets do it." It will instead be "screw that, lets put something on that people will watch."
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    And yet, despite the hysterical protestations and name calling, the basic view espoused by those who don't want to trouble themselves with the biggest athletic event ever for disabled athletes is

'No-one here wants to watch disabled athletes, we'd rather watch a global minority sport instead....'

Why I'd it 'rude' to highlight that your view is that disabled athletes should be given charity, but not actually *watched*? If you find it so offensive to hear said back to you your own expressed attitudes, perhaps you should examine your attitudes, rather than throwing insults at the messenger.

Incidentally the slight of your American athletes entering the arena, so excited to be representing *your* country was incredibly moving. How rude that no American audience bothered to watch it.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Nope, no coverage. We are about to start the college football (real football, not soccer) season and the NFL. Nobody would be watching the paralympics.

Think again, this is the biggest ever Paralympics, tickets almost sold out 2.5million on offer - 2.4million sold. It is a shame the US could not even use one of it's 100 channels to air it.

The U.S. is not a social government. They don't force companies to do their bidding. If I am a TV broadcaster and I say "hey, if I air this, I will lose 20million dollars of possible profit" - my next statement won't be "yaye lets do it." It will instead be "screw that, lets put something on that people will watch."

Bless you. The commercial channels *bid* to host the event.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options

Ah of course. A sport only played in the US is naturally far more important....

Seriously. Sometimes you americans really don't do your own reputation any favours. Rise above the stereotype!

What? I don't think anyone would say the paralympics isn't a good thing, American or not. The fact of the matter is it won't get watched by enough people... so why would a network put it on tv?? Plus we know our athletes will take home the most medals

It won't get watched. But no-one thinks it isn't important.

Huh?

there's a vicious cycle in operation. It isn't shown. So it isn't watched. So people think it doesn't matter. (And you might know a bit more about your own team's rather limited chances, if you were able to actually watch the events... )

1) In my opinion, the Olympics shouldn't even be aired. But hey, it isn't my call.

2)You're so right. TV shows don't get watched because -> they don't get put on the air. Therefore, if I put it on the air, people will watch it. Genius. But, how many? If I take a channel and put a streaming video of water leaking out of a tub for 24/7/365, people will watch. I guarantee you! Someone, somewhere, will be watching. But who is going to pay for me to keep airing it? My one viewer? Your argument is like saying "If I go to buy a lottery ticket, I will WIN a billion dollars, but I'm not going to because you didn't give me $3 to buy the ticket... BUT IF YOU HAD- I WOULD HAVE WON IT!"
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options

Why would they bid for losing money? Might as well see who can load money in the shredder faster.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Seriously. Sometimes you americans really don't do your own reputation any favours. Rise above the stereotype!

What? I don't think anyone would say the paralympics isn't a good thing, American or not. The fact of the matter is it won't get watched by enough people... so why would a network put it on tv?? Plus we know our athletes will take home the most medals

because you have enough channels to just let ONE of them air it. Regarding your athlets taking home the most medals well for one, you will never know as you won't be watching it and two, if you do take home the most medals what a shame those US athletes never had the backing nor the support of their own nation.

Yes we have lots of channels... but they aren't govt. run and your typical American doesn't own any of the networks that own the channels. So this broad statement insinuating how terrible Americans are because we aren't going bat *kitten* crazy over the Paralympics is ridiculous. I'm guessing it's running on the BBC in the UK.. and isn't that Govt. operated? Our channels are operated by companies, who are going to play what is in the most demand.

If you really wanted to compare who cares more about people with disabilities why don't you look at who donates the most money... not who watches the most events.

No it is being run on Channel 4, not the BBC, you need to research.
  • Di3012
    Options

If you really wanted to compare who cares more about people with disabilities why don't you look at who donates the most money... not who watches the most events.

But yes, I'm sure you're good at giving money to people. As long as you don't have to... you know.... *look* at them....

Wow, you're seriously a pile!

You need to look at what is really going on here...... open your eyes.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

Painting us with a rather broad brush, aren't you?
  • Di3012
    Options

But yes, I'm sure you're good at giving money to people. As long as you don't have to... you know.... *look* at them....

This is very rude.

Exceptionally rude.
    If they had an Olympic event for rudeness, you'd get the gold.

However, it wouldn't be televised. Because nobody would watch it.

What is rude here is that people do not like to be informed that their own country really cannot be assed to air a world event.

Millions are watching, oh hold on, you aren't. Shame because you are missing out.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    And yet, despite the hysterical protestations and name calling, the basic view espoused by those who don't want to trouble themselves with the biggest athletic event ever for disabled athletes is

'No-one here wants to watch disabled athletes, we'd rather watch a global minority sport instead....'

Why I'd it 'rude' to highlight that your view is that disabled athletes should be given charity, but not actually *watched*? If you find it so offensive to hear said back to you your own expressed attitudes, perhaps you should examine your attitudes, rather than throwing insults at the messenger.

Incidentally the slight of your American athletes entering the arena, so excited to be representing *your* country was incredibly moving. How rude that no American audience bothered to watch it.

So when I go to compete in an international programming competition representing my country, should the U.S. air it live? Afterall, I've dedicated so much time and effort and I'm competing for my country. Or do athletes of the mind only deserve charity, but not actually *watched*?
  • Di3012
    Options

I'm sorry if my holding a mirror to the views you have expressed and espoused somehow offends you.

Wow! You really should consider decaffeinated coffee because you are ENTIRELY to wound up. You should be holding the mirror up in your face because you certainly think you are better than everyone else.

On the contrary, the OP is trying to bring awareness to people regarding the lack of coverage in the US of the Paralympics. You are aware that your own athletes are competing there I take it?
  • meerkat70
    Options

Why would they bid for losing money? Might as well see who can load money in the shredder faster.

You don't seem to get it. People here actually *want* to watch our athletes. The event is being covered by a major commercial broadcaster. Nothing to do with the state as you were trying to imply. There's no chance of them losing money. Our stadium are sold out and our tv coverage will be well subscribed.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Real football involves using your feet, playing a full 90 minutes, no time outs, no video replay delays and is the most beautiful game known to humankind (a fact that is appreciated by the 95% of the world's population outside of the USA....):happy:

^^This!! Not to mention that there are 22 extremely lovely, athletic men on the field at any given time (not a single one of them weighs anything like 300 pounds), and the fan experience is unlike anything else.
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm going to watch it as much as I watched the Olympics and all other sports ie not at all.
  • Di3012
    Options

No, that's okay, stick to your football, baseball, millions of commercials that interrupt your TV programmes ever few minutes.

MILLIONS ARE WATCHING IT, RIGHT NOW - which is good because the athletes and those involved with those athletes show a lot of courage and excel in their efforts, they deserve recognition.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    So we're all bad people because we don't share an interest with you. Got it.
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options

This is very rude.

Exceptionally rude.
    If they had an Olympic event for rudeness, you'd get the gold.

However, it wouldn't be televised. Because nobody would watch it.

Rude is ignoring your own athletes competing for your country because "football" is more important.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options

You don't seem to get it. People here actually *want* to watch our athletes. The event is being covered by a major commercial broadcaster. Nothing to do with the state as you were trying to imply. There's no chance of them losing money. Our stadium are sold out and our tv coverage will be well subscribed.

If NBC thought that they would make more money airing it than by airing their other programs, they would. They, like other companies, focus on maximizing profit. It is not being aired, therefore it is not profitable in comparison. The end!
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options

I'm sorry if my holding a mirror to the views you have expressed and espoused somehow offends you.

Wow! You really should consider decaffeinated coffee because you are ENTIRELY to wound up. You should be holding the mirror up in your face because you certainly think you are better than everyone else.

That should be "too wound up" , she also prefers tea
  • Di3012
    Options

If NBC thought that they would make more money airing it than by airing their other programs, they would. They, like other companies, focus on maximizing profit. It is not being aired, therefore it is not profitable in comparison. The end!

One billion people are reported to have watched the ceremony worldwide. That's quite a lot of people. The end!