paralympics

Options

Replies

• Kearsed
    Kearsed Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Without getting drawn into the America bashing argument; the soccer season has started here as the college/NFL has over there, so I don't think its fair to compare the national US leagues to an international competition like the euro finals (forgive me if I've misunderstood the point).

Plus PLENTY of sports fans over here do not like soccer/football but love to watch the olympics and paralympics. I think there is more than enough tv channels out there to accomodate many different sports. I can only imagine it is the same in the US.

I still think that until a network takes a risk and shows the paralympics how will they ever really know if there is an interest or not?

If the World Series and any football game are on at the same time, football blows it out of the water. Baseball is a very popular sport and its the World Series. Two crappy NFL teams will kill it in ratings.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Without getting drawn into the America bashing argument; the soccer season has started here as the college/NFL has over there, so I don't think its fair to compare the national US leagues to an international competition like the euro finals (forgive me if I've misunderstood the point).

Plus PLENTY of sports fans over here do not like soccer/football but love to watch the olympics and paralympics. I think there is more than enough tv channels out there to accomodate many different sports. I can only imagine it is the same in the US.

I still think that until a network takes a risk and shows the paralympics how will they ever really know if there is an interest or not?

If the World Series and any football game are on at the same time, football blows it out of the water. Baseball is a very popular sport and its the World Series. Two crappy NFL teams will kill it in ratings.

Oh I love this one too ... "World Series".... how many countries play in this world series?
  • Kearsed
    Options

Oh I love this one too ... "World Series".... how many countries play in this world series?

I agree with you on this. Its stupid.
  • misspenfold
    misspenfold Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    But the world series still gets shown. There is still an audience for it. I know the paralympics would not be on the same level as the world series over there, but I think that supports my point. A tv channel wouldn't say "we're not going to bother airing the baseball this year because its up against NFL" - likewise the olympics was on during the same time as baseball season - so there is an understanding that there is an audience for both - it may be smaller, in which case they pay less for the rights. Why can't that be the same for the paralympics? It doesn't have to be on a main network. It isn't here, it's on the 3rd largest but not the 2 big boys. I'm just surprised not one network thought it might be worth seeing if there's an appetite for it.

As a side note, am sad football is more popular than baseball. Maybe its because the time I spent in the US was during the summer at camp, but I really liked baseball. Watched a few college football games when I stayed just out of St Louis in October a couple of years back - bored me rigid. Go Cards!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that the London Olympics attracted the single greatest viewing figures in the US ever for a sporting event so where the assumption that "no one in the US would be interested in the Paralympics because football season has started" comes from needs to be clarified.

How do people actually know this is the case or are they just guessing?
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Watching the guy from South Africia in the Olympics was awesome! He was a great inspiration! I would love to see more! I hate football and there are others that don't like it so one of the networks should give it a try to see just how many folks would watch. They won't know till the try!
  • Mootpoint
    Mootpoint Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    May I suggest to one and all that you google "murderball" (or wheelchair rugby if you like). Thanks.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    So much negative energy generated from one thread. And the irony being it was supposed to highlight those that have overcome incredible odds to do some amazing things.

From the sublime to the ridiculous. Congrats everyone! A group gold medal in pettiness!

--P
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    People just aren't as interested in it. Like i said before, I don't even like the regular Olympics. Many don't. I think the regular Olympics is a waste of time. Nevertheless, they air it because they think they'll make money - and for the record, in recent years tv networks LOST money airing the Olympics in the U.S. So to think that the paralympics will be some gold mine is absolutely insane.

So they're not airing the Paralympics because it would lose them money, right? Yet you're saying above that they've lost money the last few Olympics, yes? So... logic tells me that they'll not be airing Rio 2016 in the U.S.? Is that right? :huh:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Its not on TV because not enough people are going to watch it. Has nothing to do with us being "stupid americans"

Get over yourselves you fcks.

Its football season, no network is going to air some small time paraolympics and lose millions of dollars in ad revenue. If someone wants to watch it I am sure they can get it streaming online.

ONE BILLION WATCHED THE OPENING CEREMONY ALONE ALL OVER THE WORLD - is that big enough for you? One billion do not watch American Football.

Do yourself a massive favour and cut out the insults, you are showing yourself up.
  • Di3012
    Options
    Its not on TV because not enough people are going to watch it. Has nothing to do with us being "stupid americans"

Get over yourselves you fcks.

Its football season, no network is going to air some small time paraolympics and lose millions of dollars in ad revenue. If someone wants to watch it I am sure they can get it streaming online.

To add to what I said, do you think the UK would be showing the paraolympics on tv if it was going on during the Euro Cup. Yea I don't think so.

The UK can multitask actually.

They showed the European Football and Wimbledon Tennis at the same time.

Oh yes, they can multitask alright.
  • Di3012
    Options
    May I suggest to one and all that you google "murderball" (or wheelchair rugby if you like). Thanks.

Yes I agree - looks bloody brutal LOL!
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    So much negative energy generated from one thread. And the irony being it was supposed to highlight those that have overcome incredible odds to do some amazing things.

From the sublime to the ridiculous. Congrats everyone! A group gold medal in pettiness!

--P

No it wasn't... the tread was asking why the US media isn't airing the Paralympics. Not about sport people with disabilities and there unquestioned amazingness

To summaries main discussion has been around either this being big networks that go for safe options against the possibility that Americans MAY be myopic and not wish to see the event or possibly even that such a media generates myopia

People commonly mistake healthy debate for negativity, especially if the arguments do not tally with theirs... Now that IS a common occurrence on here
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that the London Olympics attracted the single greatest viewing figures in the US ever for a sporting event so where the assumption that "no one in the US would be interested in the Paralympics because football season has started" comes from needs to be clarified.

How do people actually know this is the case or are they just guessing?

I think it is a fair guess. College and nfl are going now, so that's really two sports, in a sense. Even today, with college football just starting, I think we have games here on about eight major channels. And if people have sports packages for their cable, the options will be even greater.

Part of what aids the Olympics so much is timing. they run in a summer dead zone of american sports. There is some baseball, of course. And the little league world series, actually. But that's it. And neither pull anywhere near the numbers as either version of football.

Honestly, if the Olympics started this week, viewership would plummet. And that isn't because we don't care. We just have a sport we like to watch more than another.
  • deb62pink
    deb62pink Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Nope, no coverage. We are about to start the college football (real football, not soccer) season and the NFL. Nobody would be watching the paralympics.

Real football involves using your feet, playing a full 90 minutes, no time outs, no video replay delays and is the most beautiful game known to humankind (a fact that is appreciated by the 95% of the world's population outside of the USA....):happy:

Sadly we have very limited coverage of the Paralympics here in Canada too.
    Oh you've watched Aussie Rules??? I agree, it is real football LOL
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Nope, no coverage. We are about to start the college football (real football, not soccer) season and the NFL. Nobody would be watching the paralympics.

Ah of course. A sport only played in the US is naturally far more important....

Seriously. Sometimes you americans really don't do your own reputation any favours. Rise above the stereotype!

You will have to take that up with the corporate/political sponsors, they own the media here.
  • Kearsed
    Options

Ah of course. A sport only played in the US is naturally far more important....

Seriously. Sometimes you americans really don't do your own reputation any favours. Rise above the stereotype!

This is actually really rude. First off, I don't control what gets aired on television and what doesn't. Second, I want to watch what I enjoy. I don't even watch the olympics and find it to be a little boring.

Get off your high horse and stop judging us Americans. I only speak for myself.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I am from the US. I was looking forward to watching the Olympics this year. Want to know why I stopped watching? By the time the events actually aired here, I already knew who won. Its like reading a book and having someone tell you the end. It ruins it.

Do I wish I could watch the paralympics? Yes. But I also wish that it weren't treated as an entirely seperate event. I believe the athletes should get to compete at one time, not seperately.

And for all of those people generalizing and bashing Americans because we aren't watching the paralympics, please tell me when was the last time you watched a live game of wheelchair basketball that was played not during the paralympics??? If the answer is never, I wouldn't be surprised. I am glad you can sit atop your high horse once every four years and critisize Americans for not watching.

See as an American, we are used to being bashed for being Americans. It's sad that when any other country needs help in times of war or natural distasters, we are the first to get called on for help, and we are the first to always get attacked and condemned for everything we do.

To the OP, why does it matter to you what we watch on tv? I promise not to worry myself with whats on your tv, if you stop worrying about whats on mine.

Nicely stated.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    It should ne noted that the 'only played in the u.s.' is incorrect. Of course, canada has the game as well. NFL europe was around until recently, and there are multiple leagues in, say, france, germany, etc.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Well this thread has been fun...

*slowly backs out*