Don't Judge but 30/M going from 1200 to 1500 - Nervous

Options
First off, please be gentle with your responses. I am a highly sensitive person (HSP) and I don't like aggressive criticism.

Since July 23rd I've been at a 1200 calorie deficiency. Actually, I haven't hit 1200 calories since my diet started in April (but I started tracking my food in July). This has been pretty successful though since I lost 64 lbs and have dropped my body fat from 23% to 18% and my BMI from 28ish to 23ish. But now that I am in the "healthy" range for my height, I have been thinking about increasing my caloric intake and changing my macros (again). My biggest concern though is that I'm going to pack the lbs back.

For those curious to run my numbers, I am 30 years old, male, 5'8", and last weighed in at 155.8. My activity level is SEDENTARY because I am a stay at home dad and a homemaker. There really isn't time to do any exercises around the house because I am also the house maid, the cook, and the butler. Again don't judge, this is the lifestyle I chose after losing my job so if you don't like it STFU and keep your "man card" talk to yourself.

So when you run my numbers, you'll see that I have a daily rate of around 2050 calories burned and a BMR of 1,639 calories/day. By eating 1500, I'll still be at a deficient of 500 calories (which I see is recommended) but I'm still concerned that I will A) put on weight, B) Cost the family more money because of my increased strain on the family, C) Be forced to eat grains to fill calories (I'm Gluten Intolerant) , and D) Going to stop losing weight even though the deficiency is still there.

My goal is to be at 135 lbs, which puts me in the middle of the "healthy bmi" range. And when I get there, I was going to have egg white protein incorporated in my diet and start lifting heavy crap around the house (can't afford a $10/month gym membership; we are poor).

I dunno, 300 calories doesn't seem like a whole lot, but it's going to create an extra meal in my daily caloric intake and money is already tight trying to eat as it is. And I know some of you are going to say "A man that was at 1200 in the first place, that's stupid" but keep your ego out of this. I need someone to tell me what to expect when I increase my caloric intake and tell me how my body is going to respond to the extra food. Also, when I should I implement the increase? Make a 4th meal (like I plan) or increase my caloric intake each meal?

Replies

• AESprouse
    AESprouse Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    no advice but bump
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    bump
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I ate 1200 calories a day for 7 months. Dropped 140 lbs during that time. Then I started adjusting up a couple / few hundred calories at a time every 3-4 weeks. What will more than likely happen is you will immediately see a couple pound gain. I mean immediately, first week more than likely. Dont let that stop you, it will be all water. After another seek or so it will be gone and chances are more weight too.

You will probably find you're still loosing and you will have to adjust again. Maybe even a few more times. Just remember to give each adjustment at least 2 weeks and dont freak out over the initial gains. They are temporary I promise.

Im up ti 3350 ish a day and not gaining anything significant. I've also dropped cardio from 7 days to 3.

Good luck you'll be fine!
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    I ate 1200 calories a day for 7 months. Dropped 140 lbs during that time. Then I started adjusting up a couple / few hundred calories at a time every 3-4 weeks. What will more than likely happen is you will immediately see a couple pound gain. I mean immediately, first week more than likely. Dont let that stop you, it will be all water. After another seek or so it will be gone and chances are more weight too.

You will probably find you're still loosing and you will have to adjust again. Maybe even a few more times. Just remember to give each adjustment at least 2 weeks and dont freak out over the initial gains. They are temporary I promise.

Im up ti 3350 ish a day and not gaining anything significant. I've also dropped cardio from 7 days to 3.

Good luck you'll be fine!

Thank you for your reply. I was worried no one would reply.
    I did the whole IPOARM and decided to go along with the charade and from the looks of things my goal should be to weigh 145 since I am medium frame. So since I'm at 155 lbs. It only makes sense to slow down weight loss. I'm still concerned though about the 4 things above but thank you for the FYI.

Any other advice or replies would be appreciated though so anyone else have a tender comment to leave please leave it :smile:
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I have to question your weight goal.... 135 or even 145 that I read in a later reply... that sounds awfully low. I am female in my 40's, 5'4",weigh 145 and a size 10. A man of your height and that weight seems like you should be fine where you are. I am all for being healthy not skinny.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I will just say this. I had a 2 week diet break. I went from 1300 a day to 2200-2400 a day. I gained 4 lbs.

I returned to a deficit, and lost twice that in the first week.

You will gain a bit, quite simply, more food=more weight. But it's water and glycogen. It will balance out.

Edited to add: You'll likely lose faster at 1500.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, you wont gain fat back while in a calorie deficit still :) Law of thermodynamics!

As for the grains, if you are gluten intolerant then don't eat them! Do you like peanut butter? 3 tablespoons of that and you are up 300 calories :)
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I JUST STARTED INCREASING MY CALORIES FROM 1280 TO 1400 AND I LOST 2 POUNDS:) I WORK OUT 3X A WEEK AND SO FAR SO GOOD. I AM GOING TO INCREASE THEM ANOTHER 100 IN A WEEK OR SO. ILL LET YOU KNOW IF THIS WORKS. I WAS NERVOUS TOO. BUT REMEMBER YOUR BODY NEEDS THE ENERGY FROM THE FOOD TO KEEP YOUR METABOLISM GOING. I KEEP THAT IN MY HEAD AND IT HELPS. IT WILL WORK FOR YOU JUST BE PATIENT. ALSO I WOULDNT WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT NOT BIENG BLE TO WORK OUT. YOU MEN ARE LUCKY YOUR BODY BURNS CALORIES MUCH QUICKER THAN WE DO:( SO I HAVE TO GO THE EXTRA MILE. GOOD LUCK
  • trulycrazed
    trulycrazed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no advice, just wanted to throw out a giant thumbs up for being a stay at home dad! It's an amazing gift to give your kid(s) =D
  • kmhenry84
    kmhenry84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Maid, butler and cook? doesn't sound sedentary to me!!

Just an FYI... women can tell you.. nothing sexier than a man who can hold his own around the house! Its frustrating to work hard to keep a house clean a man comes in and 5 minutes later its messy again !!

So to any man who tries to give you grief about it... You're making your woman happy.. are they making theirs happy??
  • LANIECE1
    LANIECE1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think you will be fine at 1500 calories a day, after you finish around the house go for a 30min to hr jog, or borrow some insanity DVDs from a friend, take the kids for a walk at the park or throughout the neighborhood.
  • Dandawa
    Dandawa Posts: 97
    Options
    On side note.from one stay at home mom, maid, cook ect as well as real estate agent why can u not find time to workout. i have three sometimes i m hitting it at 11 pm.n simetimes 6 am. sometimes when my husband takes kids to park i think we can all find time if we really want to.
    ps my hpuse not as spotless as i wish but im healthier
    good job weigjtloss
    n i also wonder.why u need to lose more i vote pictures
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    That goal weight...unless you are a seriously small framed guy....is extremely low. The lowest I have been is 157lbs and I am 5'9"(5'8.5" to be exact). That weight was too low for me...160lbs was good to be lean and now that I am lifting weights I am more so around 170lbs on average and still appear lean. Also, the lowest I ate to lose weight was 1650 calories...1200 is ridiculous for you, in my opinion. I do exercise myself, but otherwise I am quite sedentary...I am a software developer...not a lot of movement involved there. I guess take all this information for whatever it is worth to you.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    I have to question your weight goal.... 135 or even 145 that I read in a later reply... that sounds awfully low. I am female in my 40's, 5'4",weigh 145 and a size 10. A man of your height and that weight seems like you should be fine where you are. I am all for being healthy not skinny.

Technically, I could stop where I am at and start weight training, but I want to be in the middle of the Body Mass Index scale of "healthy" instead of on the far side close to "overweight" so this is a personal choice of mine.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    One thing to remember - you are in control.... If you start gaining weight, you can always drop down your calories again.....So don't be scared :-)

Do this bit by bit - maybe up 150 calories for a couple of weeks - and then up 150 calories again....

You might pick up a bit of weight when you first increase your calories, so please do not knee jerk - you need
    to give this 3 to 4 weeks to see how your body responds....

The easiest way to increase your calories is to increase your fat intake - in a healthy way off course ..... Start adding some olive oil, nuts, nut butters like peanut butter.....if the budget allows some olives, salmon, avocado is good options..... Eggs, Full fat diary instead of low fat is also good options....

Good luck - and remember - you are in control, but also give your body time to adjust
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    Options
    Also...BMI is a terrible indicator for goal weight.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    Options

Technically, I could stop where I am at and start weight training, but I want to be in the middle of the Body Mass Index scale of "healthy" instead of on the far side close to "overweight" so this is a personal choice of mine.

According to BMI I am overweight by 10lbs...do I appear this way to you?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You might want to try upping the calories by 100 at a time. Add the next 100 after a few days at 1300 and so on.

I highly recommend checking out yard sales and craigslist for some inexpensive weights. Also, my friend keeps telling me about a website www.freecycle.com or something like that where people give stuff away. Another thing to consider, if there is a YMCA near you, you can get an income based membership for our entire family for very little money per month if you fall below a certain level. It would be great for you and the kids to get out of the house if that is a possibility for you! If not...the world is your playground. Look into bodyweight exercises, you can do pull ups on the monkey bars, etc.!

I hope you don't consider this to be too judgy, but I am 5'2 and weigh 135 right now. I think that if you started lifting you would lean out some more due to building muscle. I've only lost like 4 pounds since January, but I went down 3 sizes because of lifting!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options

BMI is a load of crock for most people - even my GP say that...... You will know looking at your body what is right - when you get into the healthy range the scale and BMI charts are not always the best indicator.....

I also question if any stay at home parent is truly sedentary - my guess is not at all based on what I see in my friends and family caring for their little ones the whole day - just saying - it is hard work!