Ageism

Options
foxyforce
foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
Why is it whenever someone doesn't like what someone has to say, "that person is immature". Or doesn't get it "How old are you?"

Wtf! Scholarly argument, reduce someone to their age and put them in their place. No critical thinking whatsoever.

Lame!

Replies

• Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's 'ageism.' I think that its a comment on the way the person is acting - for instance, the way a 2 year old deals with a problem is very different than the way a 32 year old deals with the problem (some people never grow out of it but eh, whatcha gonna do?)

I think you may be taking the statement too literally. Its based on behavior, not a biased view of age.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    I don't think it's 'ageism.' I think that its a comment on the way the person is acting - for instance, the way a 2 year old deals with a problem is very different than the way a 32 year old deals with the problem (some people never grow out of it but eh, whatcha gonna do?)

I think you may be taking the statement too literally. Its based on behavior, not a biased view of age.

i disagree. a 2 year old acts to their environment, and it makes sense to them. people generally discredit what youth have to say about things. the other day I was at Tim Horton's and some male teenagers were playing quarters (that is throwing quarters on the table to make them bounce into a cup). A woman working there went over and said "Boys you are in a restaurant, people in restaurants don't act like that" and they stopped! There are two specific things very wrong with this, first and foremost, the expectation of what it is to be an adult. I am 23 and if I felt like playing quarters, I most definitly would; 2. this woman would never dare to even ask me to stop playing quarters because of my age

ageism, is not ok. the behavior part you mention has more to do with the authority over said behavior
  • Hannah_Banana
    Options

i disagree. a 2 year old acts to their environment, and it makes sense to them. people generally discredit what youth have to say about things.

I disagree on two points.

1. Just because a 2 year old 'acts to their environment' doesn't mean its an acceptable way to behave in the adult world. That is why we have this whole process of growing up - to teach us through experience and guidance, an acceptable way to behave in order to be a productive member of society. That DOESN'T mean that we lose our individuality or free thought, because there is a wide range of what is generally acceptable, and what is not. For instance - spitting on someone (something 2 year old's sometimes do) = not acceptable.

2. I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if given the option, I will probably listen to a heart surgeon over a 10 year old with a doctor kit any day. That is an extreme example, but the point is experience DOES mean something. Obviously someone who has lived for 80 years will have more total information to go off of when making a decision than a 20 year old. Is the older person always right? Of course not. But just existing as part of the world does give you some insight.

Btw - I'm not an older person on a high horse, I'm 21 years old. :smile:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Hey, if I was in Tim Horton's trying to have a nice chat with my friend and to enjoy my coffee, and a troop of knuckleheads at the next table was bouncing change off the formica and making more noise than a jet taking off - I might politely ask them to knock it off too. I wouldn't do it 'cause they were young, I'd do it 'cause their behavior was rude. Their age really has nothing to do with it.

"Boys" was a poor choice of words, but she was asking people to knock off the boorish, asinine behavior. It's not "Age-ism",,, and anti-buttmonkey-ism. :bigsmile:
  • foxyforce
    Options

i disagree. a 2 year old acts to their environment, and it makes sense to them. people generally discredit what youth have to say about things.

I disagree on two points.

1. Just because a 2 year old 'acts to their environment' doesn't mean its an acceptable way to behave in the adult world. That is why we have this whole process of growing up - to teach us through experience and guidance, an acceptable way to behave in order to be a productive member of society. That DOESN'T mean that we lose our individuality or free thought, because there is a wide range of what is generally acceptable, and what is not. For instance - spitting on someone (something 2 year old's sometimes do) = not acceptable.

2. I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if given the option, I will probably listen to a heart surgeon over a 10 year old with a doctor kit any day. That is an extreme example, but the point is experience DOES mean something. Obviously someone who has lived for 80 years will have more total information to go off of when making a decision than a 20 year old. Is the older person always right? Of course not. But just existing as part of the world does give you some insight.

Btw - I'm not an older person on a high horse, I'm 21 years old. :smile:

I think you make 2 good points. While a 2 year old is an extreme example...and thus harder to argue. We still discredit many things they do. For example, and this might go for more of a 4 year old, I know little of development, so it could be younger or older. But, when a child decides tos tart dressing themselves, that age.

When this child starts to pick things they like, like toys, or clothes. We gender them. And think it's crazy, and that they don't know how to behave appropriately just because they are 2 (or whatever age!). when really, they know a lot more than most adults do. A little girl, she couldn't have been older than 8 was shopping for a halloween costume with her mom, and I haerd her mother say to her "No, boys are scary, girls are pretty". This to me still represents ageism. It is discrediting and judging the opinion and choice of someone younger.

also, on the doctor point. it is never good to trust in authority. while education does have a big factor, and yes i would trust a heart surgeon over a 10 year old to perform open heart surgery, doctors are human. and we needn't forget that. they make mistakes, all the time! and often if you question them, they remind you of their expertise. but really, even education, age, anything, has nothing to do with expertise. most ailments, i'm speaking more mental health oriented, are constructed. and people trust the diagnosis of psychiatrists all the time. but does that women really have hysteria? a doctor told her so she must! or is it really that that women is reacting to her environment? Does that man have anti-social personality disorder? Or is he just acting like a man...the way 'adults' accept as normal.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Hey, if I was in Tim Horton's trying to have a nice chat with my friend and to enjoy my coffee, and a troop of knuckleheads at the next table was bouncing change off the formica and making more noise than a jet taking off - I might politely ask them to knock it off too. I wouldn't do it 'cause they were young, I'd do it 'cause their behavior was rude. Their age really has nothing to do with it.

"Boys" was a poor choice of words, but she was asking people to knock off the boorish, asinine behavior. It's not "Age-ism",,, and anti-buttmonkey-ism. :bigsmile:

i get this picture you are creating. and maybe i shoudlve given more details. but they were quiet as mice!!! this same tim hortons had a sign on the door saying "attn students" and then a list of rules for them...nothing about the other customers. i took it down, when they replaced it, i wrote head office...and then they changed it to attn customers! it was ballin'
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

Why was it a poor choice of words-- if they were male teenagers, they were "boys" by definition, yes?

If a group of senior citizens was rude enough to play quarters, to continue the example, in a restaurant while I'm sipping my coffee, I'd ask them (or have the restaurant management) ask them to stop.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Options
    I think you make 2 good points. While a 2 year old is an extreme example...and thus harder to argue. We still discredit many things they do. For example, and this might go for more of a 4 year old, I know little of development, so it could be younger or older. But, when a child decides tos tart dressing themselves, that age.

When this child starts to pick things they like, like toys, or clothes. We gender them. And think it's crazy, and that they don't know how to behave appropriately just because they are 2 (or whatever age!). when really, they know a lot more than most adults do. A little girl, she couldn't have been older than 8 was shopping for a halloween costume with her mom, and I haerd her mother say to her "No, boys are scary, girls are pretty". This to me still represents ageism. It is discrediting and judging the opinion and choice of someone younger.

also, on the doctor point. it is never good to trust in authority. while education does have a big factor, and yes i would trust a heart surgeon over a 10 year old to perform open heart surgery, doctors are human. and we needn't forget that. they make mistakes, all the time! and often if you question them, they remind you of their expertise. but really, even education, age, anything, has nothing to do with expertise. most ailments, i'm speaking more mental health oriented, are constructed. and people trust the diagnosis of psychiatrists all the time. but does that women really have hysteria? a doctor told her so she must! or is it really that that women is reacting to her environment? Does that man have anti-social personality disorder? Or is he just acting like a man...the way 'adults' accept as normal.

Okay, I see what you are getting at with the Halloween costume example, but I'm not sure if that quite relates to being told you are immature. Picking out clothing that society might deem is appropriate only for the opposite gender (dresses for a boy, for instance) is ignorant of society's standards. They simply don't know any better, and I think (as a mother) that when a parent tries to correct their child for things like that, they do it out of love. Parents want their children to be accepted, and whether or not society's standards are right or morale, they do exist. Parents I think are just trying to shield their children from criticism.

If one is being immature, it implies that they KNOW the proper way to behave, they just lack desire to behave appropriately. It could be a self control issue, it could be rebellion or just a love of creating controversy and drama - but there ARE inappropriote ways to behave and because of young children being ignorant of such ways we associate them with that lack of desire or control. You see what I mean? Same outcome, different motives.

In response to the doctor part, of course everyone is human and can make mistakes, but the issue at hand here is who is more LIKELY to make mistakes - a heart surgeon with training and experience, or a 10 year old. Life is about minimizing risk (risk, not success), and that is exactly what knowledge does.

Okay, I have to admit, debates are a little bit fun sometimes. :wink:
  • foxyforce
    Options

Why was it a poor choice of words-- if they were male teenagers, they were "boys" by definition, yes?

If a group of senior citizens was rude enough to play quarters, to continue the example, in a restaurant while I'm sipping my coffee, I'd ask them (or have the restaurant management) ask them to stop.

there is a level of poiitical correctness to it...it doesn't irk me (though i bet that would surprise you :P..by the way, i am genuinely joking)but i am sure it might irk somebody else.

it reduces them. it is like calling someone battling cancer a cancer patient. or, someone living with schizophrenia, a schizophrenic. it dumbs them down to the constructed social category. and being a boy...is a social category, but that is a whole other can of worms.
  • CasperO
    Options

Yeah, but would you say "Geezers - it is time to put away the quarters and act like decent 40 year olds"? How about "Geriatric friends - I know you're all excited about Eisenhower, but let's act our age".... Heck no you wouldn't, that would be rude.

"Boys" has a connotation that is mildly insulting. A synonym might be "immature males",,, I would start off with "Gentlemen,,,". But hey, I'm Mr. Nice.
  • foxyforce
    Options

Okay, I see what you are getting at with the Halloween costume example, but I'm not sure if that quite relates to being told you are immature. Picking out clothing that society might deem is appropriate only for the opposite gender (dresses for a boy, for instance) is ignorant of society's standards. They simply don't know any better, and I think (as a mother) that when a parent tries to correct their child for things like that, they do it out of love. Parents want their children to be accepted, and whether or not society's standards are right or morale, they do exist. Parents I think are just trying to shield their children from criticism.

If one is being immature, it implies that they KNOW the proper way to behave, they just lack desire to behave appropriately. It could be a self control issue, it could be rebellion or just a love of creating controversy and drama - but there ARE inappropriote ways to behave and because of young children being ignorant of such ways we associate them with that lack of desire or control. You see what I mean? Same outcome, different motives.

In response to the doctor part, of course everyone is human and can make mistakes, but the issue at hand here is who is more LIKELY to make mistakes - a heart surgeon with training and experience, or a 10 year old. Life is about minimizing risk (risk, not success), and that is exactly what knowledge does.

Okay, I have to admit, debates are a little bit fun sometimes. :wink:

why do you have to be such an extremist?! lol. a ten year old, a 2 year old. grr. ok:

it is all ageism is my point. calling someone immature can be the social equivalent to calling someone stupid and young. that is how i see ageism. it is so reductionistic with zero critical thinking.

but it does lie on a spectrum right. a 2 year old can't drive cause he can't reach the peddles, but if he was to dress up like a girl (and had male anatomy) i think it is important to recognize the contradictory value of the people saying "He is 2, he doesn't know what he is doing, he doesn't realize he has a penis and thus he can't wear a skirt!!1!!!)
  • foxyforce
    Options

my boyfriend would call them 'custys' short for 'customers' lol, but you are mr.nice! and not him. lol

Yeah, but would you say "Geezers - it is time to put away the quarters and act like decent 40 year olds"? How about "Geriatric friends - I know you're all excited about Eisenhower, but let's act our age".... Heck no you wouldn't, that would be rude.

"Boys" has a connotation that is mildly insulting. A synonym might be "immature males",,, I would start off with "Gentlemen,,,". But hey, I'm Mr. Nice.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    what i wrote didn't come up. i said: my boyfriend would call them custys! short for customers.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

No, because "geezers" is a pejorative term. Boys is an identifier. It's not like she said, "Hey, hooligans-- derelicts-- "

Boys? A dumbed down social category? Oh my--

That does not compute.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    this inspired me to look up the definition of immature:

im⋅ma⋅ture
      /ˈɪməˈtʃʊər, -ˈtʊər, -ˈtyʊər, -ˈtʃɜr/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [im-uh-choor, -toor, -tyoor, -chur] Show IPA
    Use immature in a Sentence
    See web results for immature
    See images of immature
    –adjective
    1. not mature, ripe, developed, perfected, etc.
    2. emotionally undeveloped; juvenile; childish.

and ageism:

age⋅ism
      /ˈeɪdʒɪzəm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ey-jiz-uhm] Show IPA
    Use ageism in a Sentence
    See web results for ageism
    See images of ageism
    –noun
    1. discrimination against persons of a certain age group.

and btw, this topic came about after being called immature for using the term "hating on". god forbid someone 23 use slang. the travesty of it all!!!
  • CasperO
    Options
    Wow,,, you're worried about somebody asking young men to act semi-mature in a public place, while dating a guy who calls his fellow human beings ""Custy's"" ??? Hehehe - - - Irony, it's what's for dinner! :smile: :laugh: :tongue: :drinker:

((Joke ma'am,,, just a joke. I'm not practicing Age-ism))
  • foxyforce
    Options

No, because "geezers" is a pejorative term. Boys is an identifier. It's not like she said, "Hey, hooligans-- derelicts-- "

That does not compute.

thats why i said whole other can of worms!! if you are interested, this is a good place to start:
    http://www2.cnr.edu/home/bmcmanus/socialization.html
  • CasperO
    Options

That does not compute.

8 year old males are "boys", and they would not object to the term. 12-14 year olds are boys,,, sorta, though they'd sure like to be held in higher esteem than that. Calling me "boy" when I was 17 might have left you with a dental appointment.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Wow,,, you're worried about somebody asking young men to act semi-mature in a public place, while dating a guy who calls his fellow human beings ""Custy's"" ??? Hehehe - - - Irony, it's what's for dinner! :smile: :laugh: :tongue: :drinker:

((Joke ma'am,,, just a joke. I'm not practicing Age-ism))

baha, this made me lol.... cause it's true. however, he is categorizing everyone into one term. not as bad as breaking them all apart!!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    It's not "Age-ism",,, and anti-buttmonkey-ism. :bigsmile:

lmao.... I believe I'm stealing this term :bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.