Why do people get mad at me for trying to be healthy?!?!

Options
Is anyone else having this issue? I have been posting a few inspirational weight loss/health/fitness pictures on my facebook page here and I sometimes write about my workout experiences. I had a friend (she's overweight btw) actually unsubscribe from my posts because of it. I could understand if I was constantly spamming them but I usually only post about once a day on facebook. She said the posts were "annoying" and "We all know you're trying to get healthy and all. Good for you but I don't want to hear about it." WHAT? You're ok with everyone else's 20 posts about their drama with their bf, endless pictures of cats and ridiculous amounts of political graphics but you don't want to see my ONE post a day about being healthy?!?! Also, my sister (she is overweight too) and I were discussing the whole ChikFilA thing and I said "Well, I wasn't going to go there anyway because I'd rather make my own chicken sandwich instead of eating one with a ridiculous fat content." and my sister said "JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT TO WORK OUT AND STARVE YOURSELF DOESN'T MEAN EVERYONE ELSE DOES!!" ....it just took me aback because A: I DO NOT starve myself and B: It was not a personal attack on her or anyone else. I was just talking about me. On top of that, I get a bunch of aggressive comments from some friends telling me I'm crazy and that I don't need to eat healthy or work out because I don't need to lose weight. Some friends literally get ANGRY when I order something healthy when we go out to eat. "A salad? Are you serious?!?! That's so lame!! If I knew you were just going to get a salad I wouldn't have invited you!" They push ridiculously hard for me to get something fatty whereas before, they didn't give a crap what I ate. I have other examples but I already pretty much wrote an essay haha. But what is up with that?!?! Why do people get so angry when you talk about health, weight loss or fitness?!?! You seriously would think I was trying to talk about religion or politics!!!!

Replies

• truecaligirl
    truecaligirl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I think they are just jealous. You keep doing what you are doing. You are doing it for yourself, not for them. Do whatever makes you feel good and live healthier.
  • SleepyOverlord
    SleepyOverlord Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    They probably envy your determination. If you're looking to something like Facebook, but with supportive friends, I suggest you take a look at fitocracy.com
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Can you remember your reaction to enthusiastic weight losers before you realised what your problem was?!?!?
    I was just the same & could not see it until I was ready!! I am distancing myself from a few friends as they do not have a good attitude to it all at the moment & trying to remember all the things I said & did for 40 years to stop from having to take myself in hand........
  • afieldsmd
    afieldsmd Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    People say I'm getting too skinny. I tell them that my goal is not to be overweight by objective standards. Body image is in the eye of the beholder, but when I answer that I'm using height, weight, and BMI to guide my choices, that cools them off a little. This sounds like insecurity in your friends as the other poster and you have eluded to. Offering to help may sound sanctimonious, but my improve their health.:smile: keep up the great work. Haters gotta hate.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need new friends.
  • Beckola7075
    Beckola7075 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i hear you... it's really frustrating but hang in there. maybe they'll follow your lead eventually :)
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Its just those people who are jealous of your success. :) Shows you who your real friends are. :)
  • Goonygugu
    Goonygugu Posts: 114
    Options
    You know the old agage... Jealously makes you nasty - well there you have it.

Sounds like you need to dump the negative nellies and get yourself some new friends who have the same healthy outlook on life that you do. :)

Good luck
  • jenbenefit
    jenbenefit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I can SO relate to this, you are not alone! I've been tweeting all about my weight loss and I get commentslike "Pleasde dont end up with an eating disorder" - which is just ignorance beyond belief...

and most of my comments come from my nanna who I live with "You'll dissapear" ... but when I go and have two slices of toast..."You're going to blow up like a balloon!"

I can't remember who said ti on here but don't listen to the naysayers, some people just need to have an opinion on everything even if it is invalid. You know your body and yourself better than anyone else.
  • Goonygugu
    Goonygugu Posts: 114
    Options
    From someone who got told by a friend that they they thought I had an eating disorder last week... yep, I hear you.

My stock response is often "sorry if you can't support my choice to lengthen my life expectancy". Usually shuts them up. If I'm particularly riled, they get the classic "obsessed is the word the lazy use to describe the dedicated".

awesome repsonses btw :-)
  • ktbrett22
    ktbrett22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think people are trying to put you off because they would love to be as motivated as you! My friend and I were 'diet buddies' for a while and if she lost loads of weight and I was having a bad week, I'd feel a bit jealous. However, I always tried to stay supportive as she was my friend and was doing well, and that's what your true friends' reactions should be! If you were telling them to change how they eat and live their lives then fair enough, but it sounds like you're just sharing. Keep going and know that it's jealousy! My advice would be to just be upfront and ask why they have a problem with it, and ask how they'd feel if you told them to change how they are acting!
  • sandrajune72
    Options
    They're jealous hun.

Most of my friends and family have been great, but I have this 1 "friend" that is trying to lose with Weight watchers and it's just not working. She's refuses to listen to anyone's else's opinion and insists her way of doing things are right even though they're not working.

She tries to tell me what I'm doing is wrong, But I'm 2 lbs away from my goal weight! She's still fat! She told another friend she hates it when i get nice comments about my weight loss and no one notices her. So i KNOW it's jealousy!
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Eehh, you're their conscience, and you remind them daily that they should be doing something about it. People don't want to do this until their own mind is set to do it. I don't post any nutrition/ exercise stuff on FB, I use this site for that. Just like I am so sick of "friends" political views, that I unsubscribed from them so I don't have to have their viewpoint shoved down my throat
  • lilkayaker
    lilkayaker Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Maybe your facebook pals are happy the way they are. Maybe a "motivational" post everyday seems like your trying to push your goals and beliefs on others. Your don't need to motivations on facebook every single day. I get both sides of this issue because if they posted every single day how god will save us, or how boo-woo their lives are......that would be a little annoying. BUT being a public network you are free to post your pride on there to try and really some feel good from other!! Just do what you do, and be you!
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Also, my sister (she is overweight too) and I were discussing the whole ChikFilA thing and I said "Well, I wasn't going to go there anyway because I'd rather make my own chicken sandwich instead of eating one with a ridiculous fat content."

OK....so you don't want others to criticise your choices, yet you are criticising the choices of others. Perhaps that's why people are getting upset and fed up. It's a bit like ex-smokers who give up and preach to the world how great it is being a non-smoker. Sure, it's the right thing to do, to stop smoking or to get healthy. We know it makes sense. But what you think is "inspirational" might to others seem preachy and annoying. And they're probably a teeny bit jealous as well that they don't have the determination and willpower that you do, so they go on a sabotage mission whenever you go out to eat.

And if you are fed up with your friends' bf dramas, pics of lolcats or whatever else, then you also have access to the unsubscribe button, and have the right to use it, just like they do. Nobody absolutely HAS to read every post that everyone else makes on Facebook. We all have the right to choose what passes our filters and what doesn't.

I'm not trying to rain on your healthy parade at all, or be mean, I'm on MFP so we're in the same camp here, but I'm just saying, lead by example, do your thing, and be happy - you don't necessarily need to tell the world about it, especially when they're not quite ready to embrace the lifestyle you have. Be your own cheerleader, or come on here for support, one thing I've learned in my life is that you have to get support from the right places, you're flogging a dead horse trying to get your overweight, non-dieter friends to support your new choices and applaud it. I've got overweight friends as well, and I know they are not the people who want my weight loss and reduced body fat % and everything else rubbed in their faces when they are still struggling with being overweight, and trying to either come to terms with it and love themselves as they are, or do something about it.

I've never criticized the choices of others. When did I say that? I've never made comments on their food choices, I've never made it seem like I'm better than them because I'm trying to be healthier. I don't try to convince them to go workout with me. The most I've done is post pictures that say stuff like "It took more than a day to put on, it will take more than a day to take off. Just keep moving!" and sometimes I'll post a status saying something like "I went hiking today! So much fun!! Burned x amount of calories too!" I don't see what's different from that and someone saying "I went to the mall today! It was a great sale! I saved X amount of dollars!!" I don't need them to applaud me, I'm just saying I don't understand why it's a reason to get angry. I could understand if I was saying "You're fat, you shouldn't eat that." or something like that but I'M NOT. I respect their choices and I'm not sure why they act like I'm doing something wrong by not eating the way I used to.