Running Shoes - ladies??

Options
13»

Replies

• sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Just got fitted couple weeks ago with some new Brooks trail running shoes (Cascadias? sp) and they are AWESOME.

I was a New Balance chick forever and ever.
    Now I'm sold. :happy:
  • runningchick70
    runningchick70 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Everyone says go get fitted in a running store. I don't know any stores in the UK that are like this. We have plenty of sports stores, with young staff members who know nothing about anything and especially nothing about what you need to get a good running shoe. Some might not be able to get to a running store, so what do they do then? I have looked up running shoes and I know I am not flat footed or high arched, I will need more cushioning due to my weight and I don't run under or over. I checked my trainers. I currently use Sketchers and they seem ok, just really need to know what to get.... :/

I do a lot of research online before I head out shoe shopping. Runner's World will give you a lot of helpful info on finding the right type of running shoe for you. Once you have some ideas on possibilities, visit each shoe manufacturer's site. You can usually find online tools on their sites to help you decided on shoes too. You need to be considering what type of surface you're running on, how much you're running, your arch type, your pronation & your weight. Write down all the shoes you think might work for you & then head out to your athletic store. Try on A LOT of shoes!!! Don't let the salesperson sway you because they wear a certain brand. Finding the perfect running shoe may take some time. Unfortunately, what may feel good in the store, may not miles into a run. I've bought Nikes, Filas, Adidas, Asics & Reeboks that felt comfortable in the store, but turned out later not to be the right shoe for me. I will only wear Saucony these days. I've always been able to put them on & go for a run problem free. Good luck shopping!
  • LesleySparkle01
    LesleySparkle01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you aren't able to get fitted, the important thing to look at is whether you have low, high or normal arches; narrow, regular or wide feet and whether you need more support in the ankle.

Many running shoe companies have information on their websites and Mizuno actually has a shoe expert you can chat with to get more info on which of their shoes would work best for you.

Hope this helps!
  • leianno
    Options
    Seems there are several types of Asics Gels... Neno, Kayano, etc. Do you happen to know which ones yours are? Or maybe you could post a website or pic of the ones you have???? Thank you so much!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    As many have said. . .go to a specialty running store! I've tried buying from certain sporting goods stores, but the staff generally aren't runners and can't give good insights. You'll find 1 or 2 brands that fit your foot best. I can't wear Nike. . at all. But I have liked Asics and I'm trying to like my new Brooks. Considering Saucony for a pair of Kinvara next. We'll see. Good luck!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    When you go to the running store (which is the only acceptable answer) don't just accept the shoes they give you. Make sure to ask "Why these shoes? What is it about my feet, gait, style that makes it these shoes?"
    Find out if you supinate or pronate.
    Find out if you hit on your heel or your forefoot.

That way you can shop your own shoes later.
    [/quote

Re-read. Never mind. I got all snarky for nothing.
  • Capekj51
    Capekj51 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I swear by my Asics. But, as I've seen several people recommend, it really does help to get professionally fitted. I was and ended up in a size nearly two sizes larger than I would have normally selected for myself, but every foot, ankle and shin problem I was having went away and never came back.
  • burkblondie
    burkblondie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I ttotally agree that you should get fitted at a running store for the best fit! Some people swear by Asics, but they make me have shin splints, Reeboks are too wide for my heels. I love Saucony because of the cushy bounce! Everyone is different, so try on a lot of shoes!
  • elf618
    elf618 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My husband owns a running store. Before we opened it I had never bought any shoes that weren't on a sale rack. And I had knew pain, shin pain and I thought it was because I was just too fat/not cut out to run. He's taught me that most people should run in shoes at least a siZe bigger than they wear for dress shoes, so let them measure you and suggest a size to start with. Also each brand has shoes for pronators, supinators, neutral and some other specific purposes so you just can't say Asics works for me. Learn which type is best for you then try several form different brands. Also consider the time the staff put ino helping you. This service is included in the price of your shoes. If you choose not to buy think about buying something else from the store and supporting them in some way. My husband's stre stands by its recommendations and will take your shoes back if you don't like them after runnin in them for a while-something you just can't do with shoes.com.

Good luck hope you find some thing you like. Stop running in those shape ups- there is no evidence they help ( one d the companies was sued for false advertising) and I'm afraid you'll break an ankle!
  • clc136
    Options
    some shops have this thing you step on which tells you which kind of shoe suits your feet ie: whether your fett or flat or arched and to what degree. I used to run with a bog standard cheapo pair of trainers which werent right for me, and they really hury my shins. since getting my new ones, for more arched feet, i never get any pain!
    Id deffos reccomend sports direct because they always have some on sale, which are basically just last seasons trainers, still perfectly decent just different colours etc, mine were nikes 30 quid reduced from 70! definately worth it, i love them
  • swarla
    swarla Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Get fitted first before you buy any running shoes. Once you know what type of shoes you need, you can either buy them at the running store or you might be able to find them online at http://www.runningwarehouse.com/ for cheaper. My favorite shoes to run in are Asics, they are so comfortable. Good luck finding the perfect running shoes!