Do people really think eating clean/healthy is too boring?

Options

Replies

• lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    they eat a very large meal at once and then barely eat anything the rest of the day because they are out of calories.

So what?

Meal timing is irrelevant. If you wanna spend 'em all in one place, you can.

going long periods of time with out fueling your body is not healthy, and if you eat a big meal at noon and have nothing the rest of the day, no that is not healthy, it messes with your metabolism, and puts you in a position to run the risk to binge the next day because your body is starving. And just because people choose to eat clean/whole foods or whatever you want to call it does not mean they think they are superior to anyone else. There hasn't been any nastiness in this thread, so I don't really understand where that logic came from. I have said numerous times what works for one may not work for another, and that there is nothing wrong with that. This is how I choose to eat and I am not knocking you if you choose to eat different. And at least from the things I have said are not based on just my opinion, alot of the views I have on this subject I have researched and have talked to dieticians and doctors, and like I said, I live a pretty holistic lifestyle, so obviously my point of view and things I have found from holistic doctors may not be agreed upon by all. I choose to believe these dr.'s and nutritionist and the things I have learned make complete sense to me. Doesn't mean I think I'm better than anyone.

Is 382 days too long to go without food?

Features of a successful therapeutic fast of 382 days' duration. Postgrad Med J. 1973 March; 49(569): 203–209.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/pdf/postmedj00315-0056.pdf

I am not going to sit and argue about something I was told by my nutritionist, like I said, I will believe what I do because it was what I was told by professionals that advise me on my health and you can do the same. You may have found something on this but I am sure there is another article or medical document stating the opposite. I didn't post this topic to argue with anyone, I just wanted people's insight to why they choose to eat clean/whole foods or their reasons for not doing it. But for the fact that you would consider eating a huge meal of all fast food junk, and say that is healthy, don't really understand that. That was what I was trying to get at with that statement.
  • zestyzaftig
    zestyzaftig Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You made your own butter/oils/vinegar to saute things in and make dressings? Impressive

I do make my butter, yes. But your sarcasm regarding disregard for the context of "everything" is not lost, sir. Heh heh.
  • lisamarie2181
    Options
    The only reason I speak up in these threads is because when I was a newbie, I was confused and disappointed to see that healthy living/weight loss had so many rules. Threads like this were very discouraging to me, and I almost quit.

I speak up so other users will see my ticker, and realize they don't have to follow all these restrictive rules, or buy into the broscience. You can have really good success even if you don't get all restrictive and eat only "clean" food.

I am not being nasty, I am being factual. Just because those facts contradict your opinion, doesn't mean I was nasty.

Have a nice day. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

you pretty much said that people who eat clean are smug and think they are superior, I would take that as being a bit nasty because that is not the case and maybe you may not eat this way but alot of people do, and making that comment is just as bad as someone saying what you are doing is wrong. No one said this or that was wrong, they gave their opinion on them eating that way thats all, as did I. I said whatever works for you, keep it up, no negativity there.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I have been eating more clean than I used to from living with my sister who eats very clean. She's introduced me to a great variety of foods. It's refreshing and healthy, but honestly, I have just as much energy and feel fine after having McDonalds for lunch. I'm young and healthy, so I eat right most of the time, but I'm not very restrictive. I actually don't feel that it would be a good idea for me. Completely clean eating wouldn't be a lifestyle change a could, or would want to, maintain.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    There are so many spices out there that nothing needs to be boring. Plus all the different ways to cook. C'mon i look at that as an excuse.

Ditto.

Clean eating is a Godsend.

There are a variety of ways to make food both appetizing and repulsive.
  • zestyzaftig
    Options
    The only reason I speak up in these threads is because when I was a newbie, I was confused and disappointed to see that healthy living/weight loss had so many rules. Threads like this were very discouraging to me, and I almost quit.

I speak up so other users will see my ticker, and realize they don't have to follow all these restrictive rules, or buy into the broscience. You can have really good success even if you don't get all restrictive and eat only "clean" food.

I am not being nasty, I am being factual. Just because those facts contradict your opinion, doesn't mean I was nasty.

Have a nice day. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

you pretty much said that people who eat clean are smug and think they are superior, I would take that as being a bit nasty because that is not the case and maybe you may not eat this way but alot of people do, and making that comment is just as bad as someone saying what you are doing is wrong. No one said this or that was wrong, they gave their opinion on them eating that way thats all, as did I. I said whatever works for you, keep it up, no negativity there.

Personally, I'm very passionate about quality food, and I'll admit that it inadvertently comes off as smugness sometimes. It certainly doesn't mean that I'm going to knock anyone who uses processed foods (like Nutrisystems) to lose weight! Why would I care how someone else chooses to achieve the same goal I have?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

I have found that a lot of "clean" eaters here are smug and think they are superior.
  • dogdaze
    dogdaze Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I try to eat healthy and unprocessed most of the time but I certainly don't beat myself up if I happen to eat unhealthy/processed or oversalted food from time to time. I don't go out and buy such things but it can be difficult to avoid them completelyi n social situations
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have found that a lot of "clean" eaters here are smug and think they are superior.

Yep. I've been told I was going to die an early death from cancer because I don't eat 100% clean.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Smug could describe all of the various 'nest' that are on MFP.

Say the words, "Gary Taubes" on any thread and see the show begin. LOL!
  • zestyzaftig
    Options
    I haven't been here long, but what I've noticed about the diehard clean eaters is that they make clean food their #1 priority in life.

Guess what? I don't have kids. I'm out of college. I have access to a stocked fridge and kitchen for the entire day. I can AFFORD the necessary ingredients to make really awesome, clean meals. I'm more grateful and feel lucky, which feeds my passion for good food- but just because it's MY way doesn't mean it's the only RIGHT way to eat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yep. I've been told I was going to die an early death from cancer because I don't eat 100% clean.

The lastest news in cancer research is that regular exercise lowers your risk of cancer (all cancers) more than anything diet related.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options

I had the same feeling from a group of so called vegans that I went to college, they would always harp on about how they 'would never harm' a living thing for their own sustenance or happiness yet always wore designer leather shoes and leather handbags. To be honest they always looked emaciated, one thing that put me off eating properly to be honest.
  • lisamarie2181
    Options
    I understand there may be people like that but u cant judge everyone that way. There are lot of people on here, not just clean eaters that have strong opinions on their views, it is your choice to find what is right for you. These people that posted stated why they like it. Some people may just think they superior mo matter what it is lol
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Sgt., some people feel better about their diet if they follow restrictive rules. It does not matter if the rules are arbitrary, or illogical, or not founded in facts or science. It's the restrictiveness that satisfies, and the ability to be smug and superior towards others who don't subscribe to the same level of strictness.

OMG this ^^^^ says it all
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I haven't been here long, but what I've noticed about the diehard clean eaters is that they make clean food their #1 priority in life.

Guess what? I don't have kids. I'm out of college. I have access to a stocked fridge and kitchen for the entire day. I can AFFORD the necessary ingredients to make really awesome, clean meals. I'm more grateful and feel lucky, which feeds my passion for good food- but just because it's MY way doesn't mean it's the only RIGHT way to eat.

I'm glad that you can appreciate that. I don't have the time to be a die hard clean eater. Luckily, I'm not any less healthy because of that.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

LUCKY!!! People like me hope to God you NEVER stop speaking up in this manner. Yeah...Im kind of new and struggling every day to improve my food choices and find the superior smug attitudes some have as very demeaning, demoralizing and scary. Its hard enough to make a huge change in your life without feeling that no matter what I do it isnt enough et al.

Apparently I dont eat as clean as I should according to others. I dont eat a lot of pre packaged foods, most of what we do eat is "fresh frozen"......we cook from scratch about 80% of the time...raw fruits and fresh or frozen vegies, lean meats etc. Granted Im not perfect but damn..........gimme a break, Im learning. Ive been making this change for just over 40 some days and am down just over 40 pounds. I do a simple workout each night, increasing it little by little, I feel better than I have in years, I breathe better, I move better ............now if I can get the whole sleep *kitten* down I'll have it made.

Any way....Lucky...you young Lady are a breath of fresh air!!! Please stand strong and continue to speak out for all us "new people"

sostrong.jpg
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Also, all the posts about Chinese food? Yeah... I don't count Westernised Chinese cuisine as real Chinese food. You're hungry an hour later because of the amount of MSG added to most Chinese dishes, and the fact that so much of what we think of as 'Chinese' is deep fried in a thick batter. Go to an Asian food shop (or hell, go to a normal supermarket these days) and grab some ingredients, and buy proper ingredients, and make a proper meal, and then tell me if you feel hungry an hour later. Chinese (and other Asian cuisines) has been my go to food for the past five years. Quick, cheap, easy, filling, NOMMY.

But do people really get hungry an hour after eating Chinese food? I think that is just an old joke. I don't feel full any longer from homemade Chinese than when I eat it in a restaurant. Less bloated from the homemade, sure. But I've never noticed a difference in fullness.

Oh, I think the whole 'YOU WILL BE HUNGRY LATER' thing is bollocks. Chinese food, whether I make it myself or get it from a restaurant, normally fills me up til I go to sleep. I was more talking to those people that really do believe it makes a difference ;)
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

I couldn't agree more!
    When I first started, i would binge regularly because I was over restricting myself. I was so sad that I was going to have to give up the food that I grew up on, and that is was clean eating or fail. I made no progress for a while at first, because I also thought it was too hard and didn't seem worth it.

I will speak up for it too! I cook all the time, and love a lot of fresh foods.
    But I also have made amazing progress, while still eating whatever I wanted
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Would be nice if I had the time to cook all my meals from scratch and the money (well, I have the money, I'd just rather spend it on other things to be honest) to buy only ingredients with no antibiotics or pesticides and have only been cultivated by beautiful topless well endowed women on days starting with T and months beginning with J.

I don't. Try waking up at 4AM daily to catch your train into work and getting home after 730PM or having your heart set on a new house in Westchester, NY.

I eat healthy when I can, and when I can't, I don't feel bad about it. Could I do better than I do? Damn straight I could, but I also enjoy the 'junk' that I eat. I'm sure there are meals that are outstanding and completely 'clean'. They may taste fantastic, but they don't taste like coldstone peanut butter cup perfection with banana ice cream, or a slice of junior's cheese cake, or a crumbs cupcake. I love eating those things. I also love greasy burgers filled with carbs and sodium and fat.

You know what else? I drive fast. I drink alcohol, some times (like tonight, so excited) a crapton of it. I smoke from time to time. I don't get enough sleep most days. I stress out at work all the time. I play contact sports. I've gotten into bar fights. All these things are unhealthy. I call them living. If it'll cost me a few years off the tail end, that's a heckuva lot better than restricting the things I like doing. My fat a** is never going to go paleo or do yoga and become at peace with the universe or find balance and harmony or whatever. I like living the way I do now way too much to change.

If you like doing any of the above things I mentioned with some disdain that's great for you. I find it boring because I like so many things that are not on the approved list.