What does your SO (Signifigant Other) do to support you?

Options

Replies

• jodilo88
    jodilo88 Posts: 63
    Options
    My boyfriend is AMAZING when it comes to helping me stay sane in this whole process. He encourages me so much - I had a bit of an "episode" last night because the scale keeps going up by tenths of a pound (and I have 75+ to lose...I guess I'm gaining muscle??) and he was just so supportive of me and trying to talk sense into me. I'm new to the whole weight loss deal. =\

He's also really big into natural/organic foods and super anti-processed foods. He's partially converted me over...my occasional PB&J sandwich now consists of whole wheat bread and homemade peanut butter and homemade jelly (he cans his own jellies/jams/preserves in different fruits...pear, fig, strawberry, blackberry, etc.) and tries to encourage me to eat better (which I'm doing well at).

Even with me "morbidly obese" according to BMI standards, he still loves my body...a LOT. And I'm not gonna elaborate further LOL.

If I find an exercise DVD in the thrift stores I think I could do, he gets it for me. We bought a Wii Fit for $50 off a college student who was selling it on Facebook and lives in the area - Wii Fit has been my motivation to work out for the past two weeks! Heck I tried on an outfit at the thrift store this past weekend in size XL shirt and 20 pants (my shirt size ranges from XL - XXL depending on how it's made) and his exact words were "Whew lordy, I can't wait to rip that off -- I mean, go out with you in that." IN THE STORE!!!! =P

There's probably a lot more he's done that I'm forgetting, but from day 1 of us even meeting he's been such a sweet guy (we were "getting to know each other type of friends" (NOT friends with benefits LOL) for about two weeks before we finally said "ah screw it" and finally got together. :D
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    He gives me compliments and keeps on encouraging me to do better! Sometimes we even exercise together.
  • missindepndnt86
    missindepndnt86 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    What I'm most thankful for with my SO is that he is so willing to learn what I need him to do to help me. I've told him I need encouragement, but he's had to learn HOW to encourage me in a way that is effective yet sensitive, to help steer me away from temptations. He'll work out with me if I ask, he takes the time to weigh out ingredients when he cooks, so I can log them, he'll make me a separate version of a snack he's making himself -- a low-cal version. And he's recently started bragging about my dedication. It feels really good, especially since he's not really all that communicative when it comes to lovey-dovey relationship things.
    He also knows -- most of the time -- how to break the tension of a really bad moment in my new lifestyle.
    Ex: One day, we were out running a ton of errands and it took longer than I'd planned. I'd eaten very little and was taken by surprise by a sugar low. Read: REALLY GRUMPY. Really hungry. (I'm not diabetic, but this happens occasionally)
    Anyway, all that was close was the mall food court. Ugh. And it was a terrible food court. (Double ugh.) Pizza, ice cream and pretzels, Chinese and Dunkin Donuts. Really?
    The best choice I could make was a veggie flatbread from DD. So he hit up the chinese place and I met him a the table with my flatbread, already grumpy I wasn't getting in on the lo mein and crab rangoon.
    That's where things went downhill REAL fast.
    I unwrapped my flatbread, and not only was it just dry egg (no cheese, no turkey bacon), but it was on the most stale piece of bread EVER. It was a cracker.
    I lost it. I practically threw it across the table. (Again, I was confronting a sugar low and feeling shaky and upset. in general. When I get that hungry, the worst thing EVER is to have something in front of me I have NO interest in eating, but knowing I can't eat anything else.)
    Anyway, he looked at me, he looked at the tossed flatbread and, very seriously, he said, "Now, I know you're struggling right now, and I know you're upset. But if you can't behave, you're going to have to go sit in the car."
    I just stared at him.
    And he stared at me.
    And I smiled.
    And I had a few bites of Chinese food and tossed the flatbread, and it was all OK again.
    Love that guy!

This is fantastic! My boyfriend knows that he can almost always make me laugh when I'm not happy or feeling well, and he uses that to his advantage in a crappy situation. And I know exactly what you mean by the non-diabetic sugar low, I get that way too when I'm super super hungry! Irritable, shaky, tired... It really sucks!
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I am very lucky in the fact that once I found MFP my SO actually joined too and has been doing it right by my side. It really helps!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    He joined MFP a few months ago, inspired by my efforts - he's lost 22 pounds!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    He always lets me have a nibble of his candy bar or delicious fatty food (insert steak and cheese, bacon cheeseburgers, etc) to kill my craving!

He cheers me on while exercising, telling me how strong and beautiful I am and to keep going.

He bought me surprise rewards for hitting certain goals, 20lb lost (new sneakers), or 30lb (cute exercise gear), and keeps me motivated for my goal weight, totaling 45lbs lost (new pink gym bag!).

He is the sweetest =D
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    There is nothing I can think of that he wouldn't do ! :smile:

He had a rough time in his early years with weight but after losing 50 pounds and getting to a low body fat he is looking and feeling Ahhhmazin!!
    He is very much into his fitness and he is always helping me when I ask for it and willing to go for runs or show me something new weight wise :heart:
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    My husband likes to sit on the couch eating junk food and watch me do my workout DVDs LOL.

But he also rubs my sore muscles for me, and willingly tries new healthier dishes I make without complaint (even when occasionally they are a FAIL), and he doesn't pressure me to eat junk.

He's been so awesome during all of this - we've been together almost 11 years and married almost 9 and I've gained nearly 80 pounds, and he has never once criticized me or ever said anything about my appearance other than that he thinks I'm beautiful. :sad:
  • MaybeAMonkey
    Options
    My fiancé is very supportive, during the week he cooks dinners when I'm working out so I'll have healthy food ready when I'm done, and on weekends he waits for me to finish working out and showering before we figure out what do with our Saturday/Sunday. My favorite comment among the sweet things he has said was when I was working out and completely bright red and sweaty he walked by and said "Action Figure Sarah!" and he was totally pumped that I was sticking with this. I keep telling him "I don't want to be a fat wife, I want to be a fit wife". He's not perfect, but neither am I, and I couldn't have asked for a better guy to share my life with.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    He doesnt ask to go for chinese food or sushi. He only offers me fruits, veggies, coffee, tea or nothing. He weighs out things sometimes, which he hates. He walks me to the gym unstead of me driving myself.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    He doesnt give me too many compliments. It makes it difficult to diet when someone keeps saying you are perfect the way you are. :smooched:
  • annebubbles
    annebubbles Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    He's gonna pay me a bunch of spousal support every month.
  • JennifercitaDEgomez
    Options
    I can not complaint!!! I have the BEST husband ever!!!! We get home around 7:20pm everyday, so I get ready to do my routine, while he cooks for me CLEAN AND FRESH food. He has search for recipes by his own for healthy recipes. He counts the calories, so when I get to eat, he even has me the calories write down so I can include them on MFP. He check during the day what am I going over to make sure to cook something that will not make me go over!!! I LOVE THAT  when I read tips I tell him about it… next morning I find that he has make all the stuffs as I had told him that will help to loss weight or that is healthier to eat… he keeps and eye on my water during me work out so I have fresh and plenty of water…

He makes some of my routines, for me no to be bored and tiered of doing the same thing every time. We got a treadmill and he even installed its own Surround Sound System so I can connect my ipod out loud…

When am really giving up on my Hip Hop Abs work out, and he start doing the steps on a funny way , and they he start shouting : OH MY GUSH THAT’S MY SOOONNG!!! ( People that have done Hip hop abs, would know what am talking about)

I love my honey!
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    It's cute actually.

When we're shopping he'll grab, say, a bag of Ruffles, then I see the lightbulb above his head, and he'll swap them for rice cakes.

He always includes me when doing anything physical. Instead of being a typical male and doing all the hard work himself, he asks if I'd like to help. IE: splitting/piling wood, moving heavy furniture...

He's super supportive, without ever making me feel like he thinks I need to do this :)
  • vynnette26
    vynnette26 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    nothing....my change in diet has actually caused some problems. Yesterday, he brought cake and ice cream.....I have never brought cake and ice cream other than birthdays...
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Respecting my wishes not to do things like buy food for me to celebrate (no chocolate on V-Day :D ), takes our toddler to go play on his days off while I get in a good workout, not say a word about my choices at the grocery store even if it means bypassing some of his favorites (obviously he can eat whatever he wishes, but if I'm preparing it's my choice!).

In return, I do make sure to cook some of his favorites too, I just work it into my calories. I also buy him ice cream or treats, just in varieties that I know he loves and won't tempt me!
  • FITNLUVINIT
    FITNLUVINIT Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Well my wonderful other is not only my best friend but my high school sweetheart, and amazing husband of 30 years. We both started this journey together and we both have over 100lbs. to lose each. We both go to the gym together and we play against each other the Biggest Loser each week during weigh-in. This makes it fun and interesting and keeps us accountable to each other on our eating. We started the end of March and to date we have lost together over 100lbs. we still have a ways to go but can't wait to reach our goal. Will post before and after pictures when we reach it.
  • nursewhitman
    nursewhitman Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have to say my amazing husband did it again... picked out the most perfect bunch of strawberries!! Let's make this fun... what is your "SO" amazing at for your health?

**This is in light of all those threads today about guys not being happy with their wives or guys wanting to know how to tell their girls that are friends that they are noticing X doesn't look right on their body.
    My imaginary boyfriend, Jason Bateman, is very flattering. He's also 100% attentive, respects my choices and needs, and takes care of me completely in every aspect of my life. And he's a gourmet chef who specializes in balanced meals, nutritionally rich, full flavor foods.

Uh, excuse me. He's MY boyfriend.
  • phil412
    phil412 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My hubby has made the switch to healthier eating with me without so much as a single complaint. He's also totally supportive of my going to the gym 6 days a week by watching our three little ones while I'm gone. They are 4, 2, and 4 months old. Anyone with toddlers knows that this is no small task! And, he tells me all the time that I'm sexy (which, to his credit, he did before I ever started dieting), that he's proud of me, and that I'm doing a great . I am so blessed, and I thank God for my man every day!!!
  • simplynaturalfarm
    simplynaturalfarm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Mine says "So, what do you want to do - I'll do it with you." He started biking to work and lost 6lbs and 3 belt notches the first week! (of course that just made me feel worse LOL, but he came with such a cute smile when he told me that how could I be envious: )
    HE tells me I am beautiful and how much he loves my body - and me with weight to lose!
    He watches our kids while I go for a walk.
    He makes me supper when I've had a busy day. And he will make breakfast, lunch or whatever if it looks like I'm involved in paperwork.
    He will ask me, "Do you really want that?" when I'm in a splurge mood and talk me into a better/healthy splurge LOL.
    He does the shopping for me so I do not buy anything I shouldn't - and he does not bring home foods he shouldn't!
    He will NEVER binge, never splurge or go crazy - he is very level headed and because of him I make good food choices.
    I love him and he looks awfully nice with his belt in 3 notches ;)