The no BS MFP EDUCATION thread

Options

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I'm always afraid that when I'm spending my time at the gym I'm not getting the most out of it. Since I can't afford a personal trainer, how should I design my workout routines? Or, better yet, is there a definitive site or source that can help me build the right routines?

Right now I use a combo of free weights and machines for weight training and I alternate between the elliptical, treadmill, and stair climber (sometimes) for cardio. But I worry I'm missing muscle groups or the activities I am doing aren't actually effective. I've read a lot of conflicting information.

www.stronglifts.com

3 hours tops a week and thats all you need!
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I dont want to undermine anyone as I think his thread is great, just wanted to point out that not everyone fits into the guidelines of these calculators. The number that fat2fit reccomended for me is higher than the number I was eating at and gaining weight. I log my calories meticulously and eat very clean foods.
    Everyone is different .
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thank you.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Is there a difference between a cal and a kcal?

Yes, there are 2 different units called calories. Calorie with a capitol C is the food calorie for measuring the amount of energy in food and that's equal to a thousand calories with a lower case c (used in physics/chemistry). The physics calorie is a measure of thermal energy and is the energy needed to increase the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 °C . But, people do not use the physics calorie for measuring food, they use a Calorie. 1 Calorie = 1000 calories = 1 kcal.

If you don't understand this distinction then it is easy for someone to make the meaningless statement that a calorie equals a thousand calories.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time eating all of my calories and especially getting enough protein. A lot of people say 1g protein per pound body weight, is this true? If so should it be every day or just days on strenuously working out?
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Pollux
    Pollux Posts: 42
    Options
    bump
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    Ninerbuff,

I am really curious about what your opinion is on these things together... you can answer as little or completely as you desire since I am just hopping on your thread trying to pick your brain:

morbid obesity, or obesity
    medium-large calorie deficit (but also large bf%)
    ketosis/ (20 carbs or less per day)
    hypothyroidism (still not at an adequate dosage, affects metabolism)

~~I started out with all these, lost 43 lbs with phase one / atkins. I get really bored of eggs, but I just don't lose weight very fast any other way. I also have a really hard time with things like chocolate or bread in moderation... so atkins seemed to help since it limited my choices. I've kinda gone off the food and exercise wagon and gained around 6-8 lbs back (ranges anywhere from 4-8 day by day), so that loss wasn't all water. ~

I guess I'm wondering: How long can someone do ketosis if that works best for them, before it becomes a problem (metabolism wise). I am still around 245... 167 or so is the top of my healthy range (I'm 5"8.5) and I want to be around 145... I really want to lose efficiently and healthily.. but do you think obese people really have to be happy with just 2 lbs a week?? Thanks for reading sorry if its long...

Disclaimer: I know you're not a doc but you do have related knowledge that might be helpful.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I would like to add 2 things :happy:

HRM- heart rate monitor
    Many MFP users prefer to use them because the calorie counts of the activities on the database are "off"

NROLFW- New Rules of Lifting For Women
    (I get this one a lot) a weight lifting program/book to help women learn to lift heavy.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have a question about heart rate. I used to do my heart rate manually for 6 sec and multiply by 10, now I have a heart rate monitor. Sometimes, okay a lot of time during my workouts my heart rate gets really high...like 220-240.

Have you taken your heart rate manually during any of these episodes? What kind of monitor do you use? I ask because I've had a similar issue. I've been trying recently to keep my heart rate around 145 while running. Some times my monitor would report numbers that high (220-240). When I stopped and took my pulse manually, it was around 145. The monitor might not be accurate. It could be some sort of transient electrical energy interfering with the device.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I am spectical of advise that comes from someone who studied where they also teach kinesiology.... kinesiology lol
    Dont see many repuatable health institutions teaching new age medicine...
    Which is just called medicine when it can be proven to work btw.
    Um do you even know what kinesiology is? It's not "new age" medicine and is taught at every University or college.

ki·ne·si·ol·o·gy (k-nz-l-j, k-)
    n.
    The study of muscular movement, especially the mechanics of human motion.

Kinda of important to know if you're a trainer.

Thanks for playing though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    bumpty bump!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    What's the deal with high fructose corn syrup?
    Cheaper to use than sugar. When broken down to simplest form from digestion, it's absorb just like any other sugar.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Fukarounditis: (Taken from LeanGains.com and quoted well at MD.com.)

2mkb.jpg

****arounditis is a behavioral disorder characterized by a mediocre physique and complete lack of progress, despite significant amounts of time spent in the gym.

****arounditis most commonly manifests itself as an intense preoccupation with crunches, curls, cable movements, belts, gloves, balance boards, Swiss Balls and Tyler Durden. Fear of squats and deadlifts is another distinguishing trait. Physical exertion is either completely lacking or misapplied (towards questionable or unproductive training practices).
    Despite an alarming increase of ****arounditis in recent years, prevalance may vary greatly depending on location. However, in most commercial gyms, it has been estimated that 90-100% of individuals are afflicted to varying degrees.
    Environment and social networks are crucial factors for triggering the disease. It has been proposed that the roots of the disease stems from misinformation and counterproductive training advice found in popular media ("fitness magazines") and information hubs on the Internet.
    Human nature and the so-called "laziness", "magic bullet" and "complacency" genes plays a permissive role for allowing the disease to take hold.
    The disease spreads rapidly, as carriers of the disease communicate with other individuals in locker rooms, Internet discussion forums and other arenas of interaction and information exchange in real life or otherwise.
    The onset of symptoms typically occurs in young adulthood and may go undiagnosed for a lifetime. Diagnosis is set by a professional and based on observed behaviors and physique progress.
    You slay me.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Can anyone tell me the equivalent of kcal in a kilojoule?
    1 kilojoule = 0.239005736 kilocalories

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I am currently eating 1400 calories a day but haven't started my exercising, that starts next week, the Fat2Fit site says I should be eating 1807. Of course it says to adjust as needed so is my 400 cal deficite ok? I feel fine, only hungry once since starting and have good energy. I'm a bit confused.
    Get an approximation of your TDEE and consume 20% less of it.

http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee

IDEA Fitness member
  • 8bitAlina
    8bitAlina Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    bump