The no BS MFP EDUCATION thread

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but I hope you get on to because I went on and it said I should be eating 1936. I am really scared to try that much because I have been eating 1300-1400 a day. Everyone talks about not even eating 1200. SOOOO confusing eat more or less??
    Get your approximated TDEE and consume 20% less from it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    How much of difference can one see eating free range vs grain fed?
    It's usually going to be in the fat content. Grain fed animals are usually more fatty, then grass fed animals. As far as nutrition, I haven't read any peer reviewed scientific study stating one is better over the other.

IDEA Fitness member

I read a few articles recently saying some studies had been done and the free range actually expell more calories to digest than the alternative. I'll try and find the link because this statement meant nothing without it :)
    By all means I hope you find it because I'd like to read about it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    All bumps and the rest CRAP! GOOGLE, you have a better chance at getting it right!
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    How much of difference can one see eating free range vs grain fed?

Just know your free range meat is going to be tougher than grain feed meat.

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/is-grass-fed-beef-better-for-you.aspx

"Grass-fed beef is a lot leaner than grain-fed beef and nowadays, that’s promoted as one of its chief advantages. In the interests of full disclosure, that also means that it may not be quite as tender or juicy. Leaner meat also dries out more quickly, so you have to take care not to overcook it. And the flavor of grass-fed meat is less predictable because the animals’ diets change as the local forage changes with season and location. In general, grass-fed beef is not going to be as sweet as grain-fed beef. Sometimes it can even get a little gamey tasting. Oh yeah, and because it takes more land and more time to bring the animals to slaughter, it’s going to be more expensive."
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have a question about heart rate. I used to do my heart rate manually for 6 sec and multiply by 10, now I have a heart rate monitor. Sometimes, okay a lot of time during my workouts my heart rate gets really high...like 220-240. If I were to keep it between say 150-170 I would be walking maybe 3.0mph on the treadmill or 3.5 with no incline, in other words not really working too hard. My resting heart rate ranges between 75-85. I have read that target heart rates can be higher for obese people, but don't remember where I read it(somewhere on the internet). Anyway, my questions are
    1. is that too high for my heart rate
    2. should I keep it lower during cardio, would it burn more fat to keep it lower? I know there are different zones but don't really understand them.

stats about me:
    I am 5'4" and started at 264lbs...currently at 228(prob. a cpl pounds less but weigh in tomorrow)
    I don't feel like I am overly exerting myself, I breathe hard, sweat, etc but can talk during my workout and my heart rate goes back down quickly. During 30DS my heart rate really doesn't go over about 170-180 but on the treadmill or out walking trails it gets pretty high, especially when jogging.

Any info on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Most doctors and health professionals will tell you that including exercise in your life is beneficial in many ways. A part of healthy exercise is knowing your limits and setting safe parameters for yourself. Your exercising heart rate is the benchmark for those parameters, allowing you to choose an exercise intensity that you can sustain to reap the most rewards.
    Significance

Your heart rate provides a great deal of information about your overall health. With fitness in mind, a slow resting heart rate indicates a healthy cardiovascular system that experiences regular aerobic training. A fast resting heart rate may indicate your heart and lungs aren't working as efficiently as they could be, and exercise may help. Normal resting heart rates are between 60 and 100 beats per minute, bpm. During exercise, your heart rate measures the intensity of your workout and how well your body is handling it. A normal exercising heart rate depends on age and fitness.
    Maximum Heart Rate

The fitness journal, "Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise," published a study in September 1993 analyzing the maximum heart rate, or HRmax, and whether the equation for calculating your HRmax worked for all people. The standard equation is 220 minus your age. Therefore, a 20 year old would have an exercising HRmax of 200. However, for obese people, the study found a better equation to be 200 minus your age. Considering that equation, an obese 20 year old will have a HRmax of 180 and a healthy 20 year old will have a HRmax of 200. Regardless of weight, when exercising you should not allow your heart rate to rise above your maximum heart rate unless cleared by your doctor to do so.
    Heart Rate Range

During aerobic exercise you should attempt to keep your heart rate within your heart rate range. Your heart rate range should be between 50 and 85 percent of your HRmax. For a 20 year old who is of normal weight, his HRmax is 200, which makes his heart rate range between 100 and 170. A heart rate of 180 would be near the maximum rate he could safely exercise with. If you find your heart rate coming close to your maximum heart rate you should consider reducing the intensity of your workout. If you frequently come close to HRmax during exercise consider speaking to your doctor to ensure this intensity is safe for you. Exercising at 90 to 100 percent of HRmax is very intense and should not be sustained for long.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/390493-an-exercise-heart-rate-of-180/#ixzz256QwCQJf

There are some people regardless of age or being obese/very overweight that can handle higher heart rates that are general.
    It's important to also know about heart disease or any other genetics predispositions you have with family heart history to see if a higher heart rate is acceptable to do from your cardiologist.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm always afraid that when I'm spending my time at the gym I'm not getting the most out of it. Since I can't afford a personal trainer, how should I design my workout routines? Or, better yet, is there a definitive site or source that can help me build the right routines?

Right now I use a combo of free weights and machines for weight training and I alternate between the elliptical, treadmill, and stair climber (sometimes) for cardio. But I worry I'm missing muscle groups or the activities I am doing aren't actually effective. I've read a lot of conflicting information.
    Keep it simple: Full body workout with a minimum of one exercise to a body part. Try to do as many compound movements as possible. Keep up the cardio regardless of machine used and be consistent.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have a hard time eating all of my calories and especially getting enough protein. A lot of people say 1g protein per pound body weight, is this true? If so should it be every day or just days on strenuously working out?
    Protein is essential. The 1g per pound of body weight is a general consensus. Meet your protein macronutrient limit EVERYDAY, especially on rest days because that's when muscle rebuilds. It doesn't rebuild when you exercise.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Ninerbuff,

I am really curious about what your opinion is on these things together... you can answer as little or completely as you desire since I am just hopping on your thread trying to pick your brain:

morbid obesity, or obesity
    medium-large calorie deficit (but also large bf%)
    ketosis/ (20 carbs or less per day)
    hypothyroidism (still not at an adequate dosage, affects metabolism)

~~I started out with all these, lost 43 lbs with phase one / atkins. I get really bored of eggs, but I just don't lose weight very fast any other way. I also have a really hard time with things like chocolate or bread in moderation... so atkins seemed to help since it limited my choices. I've kinda gone off the food and exercise wagon and gained around 6-8 lbs back (ranges anywhere from 4-8 day by day), so that loss wasn't all water. ~

I guess I'm wondering: How long can someone do ketosis if that works best for them, before it becomes a problem (metabolism wise). I am still around 245... 167 or so is the top of my healthy range (I'm 5"8.5) and I want to be around 145... I really want to lose efficiently and healthily.. but do you think obese people really have to be happy with just 2 lbs a week?? Thanks for reading sorry if its long...

Disclaimer: I know you're not a doc but you do have related knowledge that might be helpful.
    While some diets sound more beneficial to the obese, really what we're talking about here is still calorie deficit. Some do it with Atkins, some with Paleo, etc.
    I personally don't like to advocate dieting to any client since dieting usually means an abstinence from certain foods that one may like. Keep something away long enough that someone really likes and eventually down the road I believe a binge or overconsumption of it will happen. I just like to teach my clients how to meet their daily macro/micronutrient values, stay in a moderate calorie deficit, and have a bunch of patience. 1% of body weight loss a week is doable, safe and reachable each week if one is consistent.
    Fast weight loss is what everyone is looking for. Unfortunately, from my own experience and I'm sure lots of others, the fast loss doesn't sustain well. It's usually drastic and sometimes the body doesn't adjust well physically nor mentally. Do it right and do it for life.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    USE YOUR ENERGY WISELY

Especially when it comes to lifting. Work the big muscles first then down to the smaller ones: legs, back, chest, shoulders, arms, abs.

Your energy is highest at the beginning of your workout, so training say shoulders first may reduce the intensity of leg training if you do it after shoulders on the same workout.

ALSO FOR SOME

Train the body parts you HATE most at the beginning of every week. Your enthusiasm for exercise is usually highest at the beginning of the week and wanes as the weekend approaches. So if it's body part you dislike doing, then come Friday, it's pretty easy to "wait till next week" to workout on it again. If you trained a body part you enjoy on Friday, chances are you'll actually show up and put some good effort into it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    You, my friend, are a pretty smart guy -- for a niners fan.

Random protein wondering ... I can typically hit with a shake, no problem. But on rest days, I've been skipping them just because I tend to go over calories otherwise. Better to go over a few hundred and hit my 40%?
  • FindingSexy
    FindingSexy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bumping because Joe is awesome :)

Me too!
    Bump!!!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me the equivalent of kcal in a kilojoule?

1 kcal = 4.2 kJ = the amount of heat to raise 1 kg of water by 1 C

in food, Calories are actually kcals - hence the capital C to distinguish kg-calories from gram-calories.

see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I am currently eating 1400 calories a day but haven't started my exercising, that starts next week, the Fat2Fit site says I should be eating 1807. Of course it says to adjust as needed so is my 400 cal deficite ok? I feel fine, only hungry once since starting and have good energy. I'm a bit confused.
    Get an approximation of your TDEE and consume 20% less of it.

http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee

IDEA Fitness member

Thank you. This website and the TDEE explanation has been one of the most helpful things I have ever read on MFP. I am short and "old"...so when my younger friends say things like...."I won't even talk to a person if I look at their diary and see that they are eating less than 1700 calories", I cringe because I know that I gain weight doing that. I gave it a whirl for 8 months (increasing my calories to "re-set" my metabolism) and all I did was gain weight.

I love the part about "Mary and the Diet Roller Coaster". So helpful!

But by working with this calculator I see now what I need to do. I am in no hurry, so I love this idea of just eating the same number of calories each day, do my exercise thing which includes lifting, get enough protein everyday, etc.

So, huge thank you!!

D
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    Bump to My Topics
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me the equivalent of kcal in a kilojoule?
    1 kilojoule = 0.239005736 kilocalories

IDEA Fitness member

What a thread - a few definitions with a load of bumps - why don't you take the time to create a basic list of things to either post as a single entry or --- gasp --- blog entry? That would be better but I appreciate the effort. The content you provide IS good.

BTW taking your kJ to 9 digits accuracy of conversion for something that is always measured as an estimate? lol. 1 kJ = 1/4 kCal is more than sufficient in nutrition.

Here is my definition to add to the list:

butt - That shapely thing that follows me around and gets some attention but not enough by me. Needs a good kicking to activate and get off the Internet. Repeated kicking in the right direction will result in increase weight-lifting or cardio with positive results. Possible some soreness. Often used descriptively, as in, "lazy butt" and "big as* butt".
  • Jose2828
    Jose2828 Posts: 80
    Options
    Bump, thanks for sharing the knowledge:smokin:
  • Tristalee08
    Tristalee08 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I have a question about heart rate. I used to do my heart rate manually for 6 sec and multiply by 10, now I have a heart rate monitor. Sometimes, okay a lot of time during my workouts my heart rate gets really high...like 220-240.

Have you taken your heart rate manually during any of these episodes? What kind of monitor do you use? I ask because I've had a similar issue. I've been trying recently to keep my heart rate around 145 while running. Some times my monitor would report numbers that high (220-240). When I stopped and took my pulse manually, it was around 145. The monitor might not be accurate. It could be some sort of transient electrical energy interfering with the device.

I don't know about you, but my heart rate drops dramatically the second I stop. I don't know about 240-145 but I can easily be running with HR @ ~ 190 and it will drop to 150 within seconds if I stop.