Anyone doing the Subway diet?

Options
124»

Replies

• Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I agree with others- you could do worse than Subway but it is loaded with sodium and other questionable ingredients (check out what is in their bread). It is no healthier than sucking down a Lean Cuisine or any other packaged frozen heat and eat meal a couple times a day. You will lose weight in a calorie deficit whether you are eating perfectly healthy or if you are eating all crap foods. So yes, you will lose weight by eating at Subway provided you are in a calorie deficit. However, it is healthier and cheaper just to make a sandwich yourself. You don't need to be a chef to slap some meat and vegetables together and a homemade sandwich would have far less calories and sodium, not to mention save you loads of $$ in the long run.
    [/quote

strong this:ohwell:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I think it would be better (and far cheaper) to learn how to prepare your own meals. While Subway is one of the better choices if you need some food on the go, the price adds up fast. If you like sandiwches, and the idea behind the Subway diet, buy meat from the deli and keep veggies chopped and prepped in the fridge. Their meats are also processed and full of preservatives, so you're probably better off finding an alternative.

Just my two cents. Whatever you choose, I hope it works out for you.
    I agree with this. The Subway diet was basically him eating a small sandwich with only meats and veggies a couple times a day (and as someone said he walked there) rather than the loads of junk he had been eating in drive thrus (e.g. other fast food).

It WOULD be easier and far cheaper if you just did that on your own. As far as fast food goes Subway is only better if you leave off the condiments and cheeses and have one of the smallest cold cut sandwiches available (my friend pointed out the disclaimer to me on the bottom of one of their commercials that explains all that) and of course don't drink the sodas or eat the side snacks.

and while I agree it's cheaper to cook/prep on your own- and I make time through the week to prep food to make life easier.... except neither of you- or me- or anyone- can decide what works best for someone else's life. Period.

For some people- eating at Subway may really be the best option for them.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Let me know when Subway starts offering real chicken and turkey rather than those processed sponge things, and when they offer wheat bread with less than 50 ingredients. But you can certainly lose weight eating here, just like you could anywhere you ate when you eat at a caloric deficit.
  • katiegrieder
    Options
    I think it would be better (and far cheaper) to learn how to prepare your own meals. While Subway is one of the better choices if you need some food on the go, the price adds up fast. If you like sandiwches, and the idea behind the Subway diet, buy meat from the deli and keep veggies chopped and prepped in the fridge. Their meats are also processed and full of preservatives, so you're probably better off finding an alternative.

Just my two cents. Whatever you choose, I hope it works out for you.
    I agree with this. The Subway diet was basically him eating a small sandwich with only meats and veggies a couple times a day (and as someone said he walked there) rather than the loads of junk he had been eating in drive thrus (e.g. other fast food).

It WOULD be easier and far cheaper if you just did that on your own. As far as fast food goes Subway is only better if you leave off the condiments and cheeses and have one of the smallest cold cut sandwiches available (my friend pointed out the disclaimer to me on the bottom of one of their commercials that explains all that) and of course don't drink the sodas or eat the side snacks.

and while I agree it's cheaper to cook/prep on your own- and I make time through the week to prep food to make life easier.... except neither of you- or me- or anyone- can decide what works best for someone else's life. Period.

For some people- eating at Subway may really be the best option for them.

I used to work at a McDonald's so I can understand being stuck with what you've got. lol It doesn't matter to me if other people want to go to Subway or not but the point of the Subway diet isn't that "Jared ate at Subway" it's that "Jared ate differently than he did before" .

He was already going to fast food places anyway (and if that's what is available to others so be it) but he modified it so that he was consuming less calories overall. He could've gone to Taco Bell (as one lady did) for all it mattered. The point was "less calories".

So yes if going to Subway and getting a small sandwich with a few cold cuts and a bunch of veggies is gonna keep you from eating a heavier calorie meal somewhere else than yeah, Subway is probably the best choice.

But this is a diet that can easily be emulated at home so the suggestion is just that a. it's probably cheaper to do sandwiches yourself at home and b. you have more control over the ingredients. You can use better bread, you can use healthier meats, you can choose your own vegetables that haven't been prepackaged and soaked in salt which is all that's available at Subway.
  • ClinicalTrial
    ClinicalTrial Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Subway is poison-ridden garbage marketed as a safety net.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options

(Queue Yoda voice) "The hyperbole is strong with this one."

I'll meet you 6.23% of the way there. Subway ingredients are meant to be affordable, so the quality is mediocre. One could do worse, I think, when grabbing a quick meal.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options

Oh dear.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    Please explain which poisons are in Subway.

Or what you mean by 'marketed as a safety net'

Where I live, it is marketed as a tasty fast food option. :smile:
  • MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I go to Subway on occasion. I just love the Veggie Delight on honey oat bread with every vegetable, including pickles, provolone cheese, and sweet onion dressing. Gosh, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it! :laugh:
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I like Subway, but you can't live your life there.