Eating bread

Options
I heard cutting down on bread is a major part in helping you lose weight. Well, either cutting down or eating VERY little. Could this be a possibility? Or does it just depend on your body?

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    It won't help if you replace bread calories with anything else and consistently overeat.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I have trouble feeling hungry all the time if I avoid bread. I do better sticking to my calorie limit when I include some sort of bread in my daily diet. So for me...I Lose better with it. :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I don't eat grains (bread, pasta, rice, etc) not just on weight management grounds but for reasons of general health.

I don't miss 'em, I'd rather eat something that is more nutrient dense and has less potentially harmful side-effects.

Look at the rising tide of people who are gluten sensitive, suffer from celiac disease or have auto-immune issues (triggered by gut health issues) ... and then look at the rising tide of grain consumption.

Coincidence? Not for me.

Wheat Belly is a good book if you want to learn more.

Naturally, there will be people who say "Everything in moderation", "I eat bread and I feel fine" ... so be it, but what could be lost by cutting grains for 30 days just to see?

It aint just the calories ...
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I have trouble feeling hungry all the time if I avoid bread. I do better sticking to my calorie limit when I include some sort of bread in my daily diet. So for me...I Lose better with it. :)

Wheat is absolutely addictive ...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-wheat-addictive/
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Depends. 1 piece of tost vs. poptart...go with the toast
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I go through almost 2 loaves of bread a week!

I eat a lot of sandwiches since I am always on the go. Has no effect on my weight loss :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I personally have eaten bread while losing. I probably cut back a little bit just because I have been making a lot more meals and having leftovers for lunches instead of making sandwiches. I also tend to use sandwich or bagel thins instead of the "full size" versions.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I eat bread. Seems to be fine.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have 2 slice of white... ultra processed bread everyday. I just make sure it fit in my macro and calories.
  • nicolars1977
    Options
    i eat 12 grain bread religiously daily and still losing weight
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I tried to limit my bread in the beginning, one meal a day only. Now, I find myself not even wanting it, so there may be something to the wheat addiction
  • KaidaKantri
    Options
    I eat 2 pieces of toast every single morning. Along with 2 eggs and a glass of milk. I started June 12th and lost 16.6 lbs since then. So no, I don't think so.
  • tequilasunris3
    Options
    I limit myself to 2 pieces of bread a day, and most of the time I don't even have that. I also only eat white bread if there's no brown left :)
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on you. Do some self experimentation and find out what works for you.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I was never a big bread eater anyway, but I now have organic sprouted wheat or spelt breads, and they are so totally different to regular bread. I find I have no issues with wanting lots of it, it doesn't have that addictive quality that I found with store wheat based products and it a lot more satiating and nutritious.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I often add in a slice of sprouted grain bread (Ezekiel) in order to get my fiber up.

Regarding wheat being addictive, I think that's more processed wheat that spikes your insulin. Whole and sprouted grains have lower glycemic indices.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    When I eat bread I eat Earthgrains 35 calorie per slice white or wheat bread. Not too thick and great tasting. Very high in fiber--2 grams per slice. I never eat full calorie bread and it is important to know that just because it's wheat, doesn't mean it's high fiber. A good rule of thumb to determine whether some is high in fiber content is that there should be at least 2 grams of fiber per 100 calories. The bread I eat tops it and then some.
  • char_char_piper
    Options

Wheat is absolutely addictive ...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-wheat-addictive/

There has been scientific study showing exactly that and demonstrating the addictive properties found in refined sugars and simple carbs. For more info, you can watch a mini-documentary that the University of California conducted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0zD1gj0pXk

I still love me some bread and pasta, but I really try to limit it and get the better part of my carbs from veggies and fruit, etc...
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Since I have to eat low carb, I chose a low carb bread but still use it sparingly. Some breads are 20g of carbs or more per slice....that's 40 or more carbs for a sandwich. Since I have to try an limit my carbs to 45g per meal, that doesn't leave much left. My bread is 8g per slice which is much more reasonable.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    I think it depends on your body, and your diet/nutrients you are getting each day. Personally I need to have crabs in my diet to feel full, but I normally stick to whole wheat grains whether it is bread or pasta. I do not think it is necessary to cut carbs in order to get in shape, but some people's bodies are super responsive to limiting carbs. You need to figure out what is sustainable for you. :)