Eating bread

Options

Replies

• DOElston
    DOElston Posts: 102
    Options
    Bread has been the staple of human diet from pre-history yet obesity is a fairly recent phenomenon. It all goes back to the essential calories in, calories out.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I don't eat grains (bread, pasta, rice, etc) not just on weight management grounds but for reasons of general health.

I don't miss 'em, I'd rather eat something that is more nutrient dense and has less potentially harmful side-effects.

Look at the rising tide of people who are gluten sensitive, suffer from celiac disease or have auto-immune issues (triggered by gut health issues) ... and then look at the rising tide of grain consumption.

Coincidence? Not for me.

Wheat Belly is a good book if you want to learn more.

Naturally, there will be people who say "Everything in moderation", "I eat bread and I feel fine" ... so be it, but what could be lost by cutting grains for 30 days just to see?

It aint just the calories ...
    Rising tide of grain consumption? Americans have increased their average daily grain consumption by a whopping 47 grams since 1970 (about 188 calories, or 1 serving of pasta.) In that same time period, Americans have increased their consumpion of fat by 23 grams (about 205 calories per day, slightly more than grains.) Meat, dairy, fruits, vegetables, and caloric sweweteners have pretty much held constant since 1970. But yeah, it's definitely the grains, especially considering we ate far more grains 100 years ago than we do today (almost double in 1909 compared to today's consumption.)

It is just the calories. The average American eats about 500 calories a day more than they did before this obesity epidemic started, all while automation and technology has made us less active, meaning we burn even less calories. It's really very simple when you look at the actual numbers, but simple doesn't sell poorly researched books like "Wheat Belly."
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I still eat bread.. I still lose weight. I don't intend on cutting out any foods that I'd rather not go without having for the rest of my life.. and I love bread/anything carbs in general!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I eat bread almost every day-but I changed what I eat...I'll have bagel thins or bread thins so I'm able to eat bread/sandwiches but not have as many calories or carbs.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I eat bread like it's going out of style and have no trouble losing/maintaining my weight now.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I eat bread, I bake bread, I love bread.

I bake 2 loaves a week, and will never give it up. Dieting isn't about deprivation. It's about healthy moderation. I'm a firm believer in keeping the things you love in your diet.

Mine is homemade though. I try to avoid preservatives as much as possible.
  • amswanson3
    amswanson3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I eat bread everyday. I usually buy and eat the "light" bread such as Sara Lee 45 delight, FoldIt Flatbread by Hungry Girl, and Thomas Light English Muffins. Whole wheat breads never white.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I can lose weight with and without bread.

I do like it, but on a calorie by calorie basis, I'd prefer to have more meat - both for taste and protein.

Been doing stir fries without the noodles I'd normally use, so some carby calories in the sauce but that's about it as not much in the veg. Seems to work ok.
  • cindybindyboo
    Options
    My advice would be go for RYE BREAD, no more than 2 slices per day and not after lunch time.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    My advice would be go for RYE BREAD, no more than 2 slices per day and not after lunch time.
    Why not after lunch?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have trouble feeling hungry all the time if I avoid bread. I do better sticking to my calorie limit when I include some sort of bread in my daily diet. So for me...I Lose better with it. :)

Wheat is absolutely addictive ...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-wheat-addictive/

Did you even read your link?
    I’m definitely anti-wheat. I think people eat way too much of it, and it appears to perpetuate its own consumption. I wish I could say definitively whether wheat is addictive as an opiate or not – but I can’t. Not yet.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-wheat-addictive/#ixzz254r86opM
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Depends. 1 piece of tost vs. poptart...go with the toast

Poptart any day! if it fits the macros!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I don't eat grains (bread, pasta, rice, etc) not just on weight management grounds but for reasons of general health.

I don't miss 'em, I'd rather eat something that is more nutrient dense and has less potentially harmful side-effects.

Look at the rising tide of people who are gluten sensitive, suffer from celiac disease or have auto-immune issues (triggered by gut health issues) ... and then look at the rising tide of grain consumption.

Coincidence? Not for me.

Wheat Belly is a good book if you want to learn more.

Naturally, there will be people who say "Everything in moderation", "I eat bread and I feel fine" ... so be it, but what could be lost by cutting grains for 30 days just to see?

It aint just the calories ...

I tried it and felt no different - resumed eating bread - felt no different, Everyone is different and as for the "potential harmful side effects" good lord. Try reducing or cutting out bread of you want - but honestly it is cals in cals out. I like bread and refuse to cut anything out I like - but that said I do eat less due to the amount of cals that one slice of decent bread contains.

Experiment. what works for one won't work for another.

Good luck with the weight loss.
  • Kathy17219
    Options
    Please share what you are doing to fill those "grain" calories? I am trying to approach it in a realistic way, something I know I will be able to mange and stick with it. Thank you for your comments.
  • Birddog6424
    Birddog6424 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Naive to say 'I eat bread and lose weight just fine"

You can lose weight on licorice whips and Three Muskateers bars if you are calorie restricted and exercising.

But the reality is most breads are bad for you. They use processed or bleached flours and are crappy. You would be better off cutting it out of your diet.

There is a difference between the people who are on this site and only care about losing weight, versus the people who choose a healthy, nutritional lifestyle. Most store bought bread is absolute junk. And I don't eat junk.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Probably depends on what kind you eat. I like California-style protein bread or Trader Joe's Sprouted Wheat bread. It's super filling and packed with fiber and protein. Nowhere near as much processing as Wonder Bread or whatever.

My dad eats the Oroweat Sandwich Thins now, and I guess he likes them, but I don't know much about the flour they use, and how much processing and sugar go into them.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I eat bread, I bake bread, I love bread.

I bake 2 loaves a week, and will never give it up. Dieting isn't about deprivation. It's about healthy moderation. I'm a firm believer in keeping the things you love in your diet.

Mine is homemade though. I try to avoid preservatives as much as possible.

Agreed, I bake 2 loaves of bread every week (Banana nut bread, Zucchini Nut Bread, or Pumpkin nut bread) plus eat a loaf of Sara Lee Multi-grain bread. Have lost a few pounds in the process as well.... Unless you have a allergy to grains, I don't see a problem with it.... Best of Luck
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I still eat bread, just limited. I LOVE bread! You can have what ever you want, just not all at once. When I feel like having more I just remember tomorrow is another day and I can have more tomorrow! :)
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Naive to say 'I eat bread and lose weight just fine"

You can lose weight on licorice whips and Three Muskateers bars if you are calorie restricted and exercising.

But the reality is most breads are bad for you. They use processed or bleached flours and are crappy. You would be better off cutting it out of your diet.

There is a difference between the people who are on this site and only care about losing weight, versus the people who choose a healthy, nutritional lifestyle. Most store bought bread is absolute junk. And I don't eat junk.

I'm on this site to get healthier. My path from that might be different from yours, but that doesn't mean you're some different class of MFP user.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your body. I can't eat it - gluten. I have been eating paleo/primal and try to avoid all grains. I did just eat tacos for dinner with gluten free corn shells and I feel really sick. I think my body rejects them now.