Runners: When did you start to enjoy running?

Options
I'm running a 5k in October and I'm doing the C25K app. I'm done with week 3 and I'm still not a fan of running, so...

I was wondering -- at what point did you go "Wow, I really love this!" Was it your first mile? The first time you ever got on a treadmill? Once you hit goal?

Replies

• BosBruin5
    BosBruin5 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I always played sports in high school and couldn't stand when my coaches would make us run the track. I swore I would never run again. After college, my boyfriend ran a lot and started doing 5Ks. When I went to cheer him on, I'd think, hey this really looks like fun. So I started little by little. Hated it at first. It probably took me a good 6 months and a 5K under my belt to really start enjoying it. Now, I love it! I put my favorite music on my MP3 player and totally zone out. It's the cheapest, quickest workout- just jump out your front door and go. I recommend reading "Born to Run." It's a great book that will totally motivate you.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Been at it for the last 2 years....still not like it but it is the best way for me to take care of my lungs and heart.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I took me until the 20+ minute run to enjoy it.... Maybe even after I finished the program. I really enjoy it. I run outside, so I love seeing the birds, animals, flowers, creek, etc. on my run.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I hated running at first. When I first started C25K I could barely run 30 seconds without being out of breath. It wasn't until my endurance increased that I started loving it. And now I just love challenging myself and creating new PRs.
  • violabeatle
    violabeatle Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I did the C25k program in the spring and got up to week 7 - had to put it on pause due to injuries and am now back on week 4! The more I accomplished, the more I enjoyed it. In high school (entering 3rd year of college now) I could never run even a lap of that dreaded mile, and when I ran an entire 2 mile run (took me until the 22 min run at the end of week 6) , I was absolutely ecstatic. It was that sense of accomplishment that made me realize that I no longer dreaded running!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    After my knees quit killing me with every step I took. Once I worked the kinks out of my system and saw the results on the scales, I fell in love with it.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I've been running a few 5k routes over the last couple of weeks.
    Not particularly fast (around 30mins - less for flat, smidge over for hilly).

Not sure I'll ever really like it - like gym exercise, it's a means to an end - at least the dog seems to enjoy it :).

If I'm going to push myself, would prefer it to be on a mountain bike over a XC course, or motorbike in similar etc.
    However, for 30 mins I can get the dog a decent run and burn a decent few calories myself too.

Oh and I should note that I didn't do any special prep - just ran 5k recently and seemed ok. Think my weight loss has made a decent difference, allowing underling fitness to be used to it's full potential (am down around 25% bodyweight.)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My first race. The first time I passed somebody. Granted, I'm pretty sure they ended up passing me before the end because I finished way near the end of the pack, but it was a pretty amazing feeling realizing, "Hey... I'm pretty good at this!"
  • jenga727
    jenga727 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    When I got to the point of running at least a mile a day without stopping! Now I run a little over 5....45 minutes, 3 times a week! :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I started loving running when I started thinking of it as play rather than a workout.

Go to any park and watch children playing, what do they do? Run and jump and chase balls. As adults we often lose that sense of fun - embrace your inner child and run and play.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school, they made us run for four minutes about once a year, as a test. We cried and trembled. We thought that was unmitigated torture. We sprinted in games, and I even played soccer. But running for the sake of it? Running down the road when your lungs ached and your stomach was in your throat? Forget it. No flippin way.
    But then, in college, I started to jog. And, you know what? I enjoyed it almost from the start. Of course, I started very slowly, running just a block or two. I kept the distance there for a long time, letting my running simply evolve naturally, not really pushing.
    I think that worked because many years later I am still at it, and running is one of my favorite things I do.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I :heart: what Brian just said.

The absolute most fun I have when running is when I do trails. I partially hike and partially run, and I don't put any pressure on myself for how fast or how far I have to go. Sometimes I get lost and have to consult my GPS. :blushing: I just run bouncing along like a little kid or a mountain goat, walk when I need to catch my breath, then run and bounce around some more. I'm in full "play" mode... right back to childhood. Sometimes I pretend zombies or werewolves are chasing me. :heart:
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    it took me a couple months to really thoroughly enjoy running. i'm not sure why. maybe it's because i switched from am to pm runs. maybe it's because i changed my route. i think a huge part of it though is me being able to talk to fellow runners or those who wanted to become one. they motivated me to push myself and know my stuff, and eventually i just became addicted.
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    There is a zombie running app where you set your run, like distance and speed, and a narrator starts a story about zombie invasions and you run to survive the zombie apocalypse. One is runzombierun. It may make running fun if you are not feeling into it. I also find running with a friend keeps me motivated especially on the long weekend runs.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It took me several months to like it... I kept at it because I was seeing good progress (in mileage and weight loss).
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about Zombies, run! But not sure if I want to splash out over £5 for the novelty and they don't seem to do a free-trial.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    When I ran my 1st 5k. I never thought I could run it start to finish or get the time I did. I have been hooked since. I really love to run.
  • kenjancef
    kenjancef Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My wife started running before I did, sometime in 2005. I picked it up a bit after she did, and my first race was the 2006 Disney Half Marathon, and what pushed me was running for my father-in-law, who passed away of a massive heart attack on Christmas Eve 2005. So I credit him with getting me through my first race. Since then I do 1-2 half marathons a year, most recently the Providence Rock N' Roll Half Marathon. I am going to start doing a bunch of local 5k's to keep me fresh, and I credit MyFitnessPal for making it easier for me to run since I've lost weight.

Doing the Inaugural Pawtucket Red Sox 5k this Saturday...
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    When I started catching the pretty girls.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    For ME, it was after I could run a full 5K without walking. I was like "I need to keep pushing myself... further, harder... how far can I go? How fast can I get?" It was the PERFECT sport for me because I could so easily track my progression.

It never gets easier... You just get tougher. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

ETA: I became "addicted" after my first race... Also addicted to "placing" :wink: