Girls who are 5"8, be kind to read this post

Options

Replies

• melindadunston
    Options
    I am 5'7" 1/4...lol I started out at 186. I slowly but surely down to 163. My first goal is to get down ti 150. At 150(actually 153) I am no longer considered "overweight". The closer I get to that goal the more I think I will look better at 140. My husband doesn't want me to get too skinny...lol Plus in high school I weighed 122(I thought I was fat...lol) in pictures I look so boney. I don't think boney is attractive on me.
  • cambridgegirl309
    cambridgegirl309 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 5ft7 1/2" currently around 158, I'd like to get down to around 146, but I have a fair bit of muscle mass (particularly on the lower body) so I'm not sure how feasible it would be to get any lower. But I'd love to be 140, which is dumb, because its not about the number but how you feel!
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and at 218 right now! My highest weight was 300. I think my ultimate goal weight is from 180-160. Haven't fully decided yet!

Fantastic, well done losing weight so far. It will probably be easier to decide when you are closer to the goal :bigsmile:

All the best :flowerforyou:
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    5'8" here. I started at 308 and decided to stay at 145 to 150. I tried 135 but looked "sickly" all the time. Slowly went back up till I found a weight that suited me better. Medium frame with a pear shape build.
  • gillz89
    gillz89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'9" so also a bit taller, but I started at 188 (actually more but that's when I joined MFP) and am currently sitting between 158-162. I am hoping to get down to 140 (maybe less, maybe a bit more - depends on how I look at that weight. I just picked a number in the range)
  • tshields27
    tshields27 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and I started at 175 and now i'm 160, but my goal is between 150 and 155. Right before I got married I was 134 and my husband hated it, he said I looked like a broom, but even though I'm 160 now, I still fit in those same clothes that I wore when I was only 134 lbs because this time I lost the weight differently by building muscle and losing crazy inches by doing Insanity. I definitely love the way I look this time more so than when I was small just from dieting alone.
  • Love_flowers
    Options
    I am 5'9" and started yesterday at 229lbs..... I also have a goal of losing 33lbs and getting back into UK size 14-16 jeans again!

All the best :flowerforyou:
  • allisona28
    allisona28 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" wiegh 165...GW is 135.
  • melindadunston
    Options
    oh feel free to add me:)
  • Love_flowers
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and current weigh 66kg. I'm starting to look slightly too thin.

Too thin? Like losing curves and all that? Or are we talking about sickly thin? :O

My curves are more defined but by collar bone, wrists and arms are starting to look bony. My face starts to look a bit drawn too.

Oh, alright, :/
  • MelinaS79
    Options
    I'm a little over 5'8" (5'8" + 1/4") ... and my goal is 180, but I've got a pretty large bone structure and that's the goal weight that my doctor recommends.
  • alliejoberry
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and I'm headed for 160 lbs., although at that point I'll probably want to get down to 150. I'm 195.5 lbs. now. I lost about 15 lbs. last summer, but since then I've been up & down between 197 and 194. So I'm a little stuck right now. -_-;;
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and ashamed to say Im currently at 192
    My goal is about 142

Wow. Why would you be ashamed? That's not even in obese range. I wish I was 192, and I'm 5'7.5. I'm not far off, but that is not bad at all.
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and currently at 230... so I have a LONG way's to go.. I figure I will try to get to 165 and see where I am from here. Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • cambridgegirl309
    cambridgegirl309 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Meant to say, feel free to add me x
  • gillz89
    gillz89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi There!
    I'm always interested in knowing what other girls my height aim for as a goal weight too :)
    I'm 5'9'' and currently 182lbs. My ultimate goal is 140lbs. I think weight is proportioned differently on every single individual because we're all so unique. What may look good on one person may look too thin/heavy for another. So it's always best to tweek the goal as you go along.

You're the same height as me and have the same goal weight! I need to get closer to it (sitting at 158-162 since May (UGH!) in order to see if that's really where I need to be or not. Good luck on your journey!
  • Love_flowers
    Options
    Did you say you wanted some perspective? Well here is my motherly perspective: Your body mass index is around 22, which is right in the healthy range of 19-25. Why don't you use the tools on this website to maintain a healthy body weight, and DON'T WEIGH YOURSELF. Then throw away all your women's magazines and stop watching tv shows that showcase women whose body weight is a full 23% lower than the healthy normal. And then (here's my prescription), practice the three A's... A for Attention... Listen to your body (really really listen). Get to know what it feels like to be hungry, what it feels like to be satisfied, and what it feels like to be overfull (then avoid the last one). Listen for fatigue and energy. Honour these states. A for appreciation... Practice honouring your body for all the wonderful things it can do, and the healthy pleasures it can give you. The feeling of smelling fresh air, the relief of collapsing into a comfortable bed, the ability to move, work, sing, dance. And the final A is acceptance. Work on health and accepting what is, instead of tormenting yourself over what is not. If you eat well and exercise, the weight loss (where needed) will take care of itself.

So there. Be well.

Thank you so much for your honest and helpfull feedback. I am pleased to say that I am already doing all of the above. However I desire to lose the last weight ( and still have a bmi of 20) as I am carrying some excess weight.
    I dont read the women magazines and I dont ever get indluenced by the medias size zero. :bigsmile:
  • allirep
    allirep Posts: 26
    Options
    And then (here's my prescription), practice the three A's... A for Attention... Listen to your body (really really listen). Get to know what it feels like to be hungry, what it feels like to be satisfied, and what it feels like to be overfull (then avoid the last one). Listen for fatigue and energy. Honour these states. A for appreciation... Practice honouring your body for all the wonderful things it can do, and the healthy pleasures it can give you. The feeling of smelling fresh air, the relief of collapsing into a comfortable bed, the ability to move, work, sing, dance. And the final A is acceptance. Work on health and accepting what is, instead of tormenting yourself over what is not. If you eat well and exercise, the weight loss (where needed) will take care of itself.

good words of advice. i'm so close to 5'8" that I claim it. feel free to add me. i started at 163lbs and am down to 151 (as of last night). 12 pounds down in a little over 2 months. I definitely do not have a small frame - so if I can get down to a solid size 4 (US) and keep it - I'll be beyond happy. I too am a big fan of feeling healthy vs hitting a certain spot on the scale. numbers are relative. i do some strength training and am about to take up running again. but mostly i am concentrating on eating right. i eat a high protein/fat and low carb diet - check Paleo/Primal if you are interested. I'm not perfect with my eating habits - but it is a definitely improvement.

best thing I can tell you is - find what works for you. calorie counting does not work for me. but avoiding grains and refined/processed food seems to do alright by me. i am all about enjoying my weight loss journey. less stress = easier weight loss!
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and started out at 196. I am now 169 and my goal weight is 145. I had my physical yesterday and was discussing this goal with my doctor and he actually said that for me 160 would be a healthy weight. So I think I'm going to aim for 160 (as I have been at a plateau for a few months now) and then see about going from there! Good luck to you!!
  • kittybear86
    kittybear86 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and started out as 248 lbs. when joining MFP.I currently weigh 238 lbs and my goal weight is 168 lbs. to 178 lbs.