Moral/Ethical Question

Options

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Loose the Pterodactyls. Whichever of them doesn't get loosed into the volcano at the end of the Pterodactyl race is the winner.

Easy Peasy.
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    He broke the spirit of the bet, he cheated, bust him. Force him to shave it off, he deserves it.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    cheated
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Cheated!

^^^^ that definitely
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    If I were the "winner," I wouldn't have quite that winning feeling.....
  • MinMin97
    Options
    He broke the spirit of the bet, he cheated, bust him. Force him to shave it off, he deserves it.
    Yes!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd say he cheated. He'll gain it back in a few days. Lasix makes you pee like a mad man.
  • rudimae
    rudimae Posts: 107
    Options
    I agree with many others that it's not technically cheating since it wasn't established as against the rules. But it does make him sound like a pretty crappy friend.

More than the bet, though, I think it calls into question (minorly, but still), his ethics as a doctor for taking a medication he did not need. If a patient came in and asked him for a water pill for the same reason, I would hope he'd say no. But then he did it for himself. That bothers more more than the bet!
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I don't think its cheating. Not his fault the other person didn't think of it.
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    This situation is a good example of the difference between legal and ethical. Taking water pills didn't break any rules of the bet, but it was unethical. That last weigh-in was not a good representation of his natural weight.
  • fwalz3
    fwalz3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Your "friend", yeah right! Stop whining and shave your head already!!:laugh:
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Water pills, ex-lax, saran wrap, saunas, etc. are all standard weigh-in preps and are all over the counter. I've even heard of people sucking on hard candies so they can spit out their saliva for a little extra water weight. Generally speaking, fighters do it the most. It's a common thing to do prior to a weigh-in. It's not really healthy, but it's completely legal and fair game.
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If the other person couldn't get the same water pill (like if it was a script) then he cheated. If he could, he didn't cheat.
  • lstone03
    lstone03 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think it is technically cheating just because of what most people mean when they say thay want to or are going to lose weight.

My husband said its not cheating just playing dirty since there were no rules. When he did this in the past with his friend they made rules against diet pills etc...
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    If the other person couldn't get the same water pill (like if it was a script) then he cheated. If he could, he didn't cheat.

I would agree with that. It'd also think it would be illegal.

However, Midol, Diurex, Ex-Lax and a whole host of other products are readily available OTC.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I think you should arange a 1 month maintenance weigh in,
    So both reweigh in after 1 month. This time specify no pills/ drugs of any sort, and no possibly unethical tricks.

Loser needs to mow winners lawn in their wifes dress.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    This situation is a good example of the difference between legal and ethical. Taking water pills didn't break any rules of the bet, but it was unethical. That last weigh-in was not a good representation of his natural weight.
    The OP's original post is neither an example of a legal nor ethical issue, whatsoever.
  • muditamom
    Options
    Does not sound like the sort of thing a friend would do.
    Perhaps he did not "legally" cheat since drugs etc were not banned. However, I think he ethically cheated as I know true friends "play fair". People with integrity "play fair". His friend gave away a lot of unflattering information about himself in his effort to win the bet. Apparently to him, winning is more important than friendship and doing the right thing. Not qualities I want in a friend or physician.
    Congratulations to the loser in this bet. They are the real winners here.
  • MinMin97
    Options
    The thing with bets is that the rules are exactly what you agreed them to be, not what you 'thought' they were. If nothing was said about the use of pills, etc, then your doctor friend didn't cheat. Tell your other friend to suck it up and get out the clippers. Friends don't let friends welch on bets :smokin: :bigsmile:

Take this as a learning experience, and make sure to be specific with the rules for any future bets.
    ^^^And actually, this is really practical.
  • gazz777au
    gazz777au Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Weight is weight and a bet is a bet. Loser needs to take it on the chin and be wiser in the future ;)

Edit: If someone chopped their arm off to win the bet .... pretty stupid (and a REALLY BAD DECISION), but wisdom does not chose poorly !