I GAVE Up PASTA... should I give up dairy too

Options

Replies

• EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    So tired of all these racists posts. You got a problem with Italians?

What next? You giving up fried chicken or grits or egg rolls or tacos?

Oh, think I misunderstood. Carry on . . .

:)

Did someone say Tacos?
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    While pasta is delicious, it's not particularly nutrient dense. Dairy, on the other hand, has quite a few benefits. I stick to small portions of full-fat dairy, per my doctors recommendation. I was told that as vitamin D, for example, is fat soluble and necessary for calcium absorption, fat-free dairy isn't as useful in attaining nutrients. I have Celiac disease and when I was first gluten-free, it was important to make sure I was getting the nutrients my body had previously been unable to absorb.

I have always found it helpful to chat with a nutritionist or doctor about a food plan, especially before cutting out whole food groups.

Soy milk and almond milk have twice the amount of calcium and about half the calories of cow's milk. Look at the labels!

If we're going to talk macros maybe we should look at protein as well. just saying.

Most of my protein comes from wholemeal bread and unsweetened soya milk. I'm almost always over my protein goal.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I guess I'd ask why you want to cut dairy? If it's because you are counting fat, you might cut back, but it seems pretty extreme to cut it out all together since it brings some valuable nutrition to the table. I may not be a milk drinker but cheese and greek yogurt are pretty high on my list of good eats. When I started looking for things to cut I took out soda, seemed a simple thing that I didn't need and I could sustain forever if needed but I'm not sure I'd give up anything forever that had some value.
  • cassiegal724
    cassiegal724 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It is important not to deprive yourself of anything, just setting up for a binge. Unless you have a medical issue to do so. One word = MODERATION.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

I don't understand giving up foods you love. (said as I eat my chocolate pie and bacon) :happy:

I do. I love pasta and garlic bread, but I don't like the crappy feeling they give me. Sorry, but Id rather part with something I love than to keep it and keep feeling physically crappy because of it. I like this lighter, slimmer feeling much more than gaining weight and being bloated constantly. Moderation? I dont' like feeling crappy and bloated in moderation either. That's just me though.

If it makes you feel bad, then yes....by all means, don't eat it. I don't eat eggs for that very reason (although I love them). I just meant as far as "I can't eat this or that because it will make me fat". Deprivation. That's what I don't get.
    I eat all the same things I always ate, just in moderation and I exercise A LOT.
    92 pounds down so it worked for me.
    Wasn't trying to be mean or anything. :smile:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I cant eat either - I have coeliacs and also a dairy intolerance and if I had any choice I would not give either up but I do miss cheese the most ( cant have soya as highly allergic to it).
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Cheese is loaded with fat. Milk to me is just disgusting now. I used to drink a lot of it, but since being enlightened about the dairy industry I cannot drink it anymore. It's loaded with hormones, antibiotics, pus, and fecal matter. Yes, it is pasteurized, but it is still just disgusting to me. After a human is weaned there is no need or place for milk in their diet. That's what weaning is - transitioning from a milk-based diet to a food-based diet. Cow's milk is only designed to nourish calves until they're able to graze - not humans. The "Got milk?" slogan should be changed to "Got obesity and diabetes?" It has no place in the human diet. Keep reading and learning - you may make a decision on this for reasons greater that giving up dairy as a weight loss tool.

Meat has fat, Avocado has fat, Peanuts and Almonds are Fat!
    So let me get this straight: You claim that Cows milk are for baby calves?

Well are carrots for rabbits only? Should humans consume only humans?

Your idea of what someone should eat is way over the top!

By your logic I would not drink anything from animal eat anything from animal either?

Nuts are for squirrles?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think it might depend on how much you crave cheese. If you are binging on it and consistently going over calories then it might be a good idea to give it up, at least for a while.

Personally I have a hard time reaching my calcium goal without cheese.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I used to be a total cheese fiend in that a regular dinner of mine was bread and cheese (and I'm not talking about grilled cheese) or fruit and cheese.

Anyway, I gave up dairy mostly 7 or 8 years ago because I thought it was too high in fat and calories but then completely gave it up 5 years ago. I can honestly say that I don't miss it one bit.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I thought i'd seriously die without dairy but becomming lactose intolerant made my options kinda limited. I switched everything out for coconut/almond varieties (you can get alomd yogurt and coconut yogurt) and I do occassionally use those non-dairy cheese shreds. Look, I feel way better for it and if you don't use a lot of it then why not give it a go?
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options

I don't understand giving up foods you love. (said as I eat my chocolate pie and bacon) :happy:

I do. I love pasta and garlic bread, but I don't like the crappy feeling they give me. Sorry, but Id rather part with something I love than to keep it and keep feeling physically crappy because of it. I like this lighter, slimmer feeling much more than gaining weight and being bloated constantly. Moderation? I dont' like feeling crappy and bloated in moderation either. That's just me though.

Agreed. I loved Alpro Soya chocolate milk and used to drink a litre of it every weekend. It's full of sugar and that's why I put on weight. Sometimes I'd even have two cartons a weekend. Now I don't even crave it. Cold turkey is a good way of getting over things.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Nuts are for squirrles?

PLEASE insert Squirrel Nut Dance here!!!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I be damn if I give anything I love!

Moderation = Success

This X a bazillion

And this x a gazillion.

I did replace cows milk with almond milk and I do make pizza with soy station soy cheese (sometimes mix it with a little 5 cheese Italian) but other than that, yogurt and cheese are important for my own personal lifestyle.

But in saying that, this is what works for me. If you make the conscience decision to give up dairy and it works for you, so be it, just make very sure that you are getting enough calcium because it is very important to us women, especially as we grow older.

I have given up a great many things over this past 5 years and if I do not miss it, I do not go back to it. If I miss it and my body absolutely craves it, I have found that I am deficient in what ever vitamin or mineral that particular food has the most of.
  • hopsonc24
    hopsonc24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    there is a pasta called dream fields I belielve? Doesnt have carbs? Depending on your age have to watch with the dairy, need your calcium, but can also get that from dark green leafy veggies. But there are alot of lowfat dairy options out there, lowfat yogurt, cottagecheese, fat free milk if your a milk drinker. I wouldnt give it up but thats just me. I like my dairy. I suppose it depends on what your goals are and what your trying to achieve??

Dreamfields is low carb, not no carb. Here is a link to their webpage. It has less than half of the carbs of regular pasta.

http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/diabetes-diet.html

I would not recommend anything low fat or fat free. It is better to eat full fat in moderation then low fat or fat free.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you like it, why would you give it up?
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I gave up pasta a couple of weeks ago. I have been substituting cauliflower and zucchini. I can honestly say I really don't miss it. It's just filler after all. I am now considering the whole dairy option. I don't include a lot of dairy in my diet anyhow.... but I do like cheese. Is this another step I should take and are there things that I can substitute for the inevitable craving?

I would give it up. too much fat.....don't want to get fat. Good call on the pasta too......Carbs are totally the problem.....well that and fat.

And protein, I'd just drink water to be safe

water and maple syrup and cayenne pepper...cleanse thyself
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Cut out the dairy. Cut out the rice. Cut out the bread, the meat, the vegetables, the fruit, the sugars, the fats, protein, water.

In fact; just stop eating, drinking and breathing. Because apparently according to these forums, everything is bad for you. :noway:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why should you? If you like it and you already eat it in moderation, why make life more difficult? Cutting out food groups doesn't do anything for you unless you're allergic.

Yup
  • hellou76
    hellou76 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Cheezly and Tofutti are good UK brands for vegan cheese. There's also Sheese. Google "vegan cheese" and there will be a company that makes one where you live. You definitely need to take fortified soya, almond, hazelnut or rice milk. I use Alpro Soya unsweetend because it's so low in calories and fat and contains the B vitamins, D and iron etc.

Edited to say you can gets loads of soya yogurts, desserts, cheesecakes, mayo and so on. It all contains protein.

Why give up anything unless like said above you are intolerant or have moral reasons. All the above food (I am not sure it is real food actually IMO) is highly processed and I am not sure sure your body will like it as much as the real stuff.
  • drzira
    drzira Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I eat at least one serving of cheese every damn day. There's no reason to give it up. My only caveat would be that you need to be careful with portion sizes because the calories can add up fast.