I GAVE Up PASTA... should I give up dairy too

Options

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I gave up pasta a long time ago, and don't miss is all!!! However, cheese and yogurt, I don't think I could do it! :bigsmile:
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I gave up pasta a couple of weeks ago. I have been substituting cauliflower and zucchini. I can honestly say I really don't miss it. It's just filler after all. I am now considering the whole dairy option. I don't include a lot of dairy in my diet anyhow.... but I do like cheese. Is this another step I should take and are there things that I can substitute for the inevitable craving?

I would give it up. too much fat.....don't want to get fat. Good call on the pasta too......Carbs are totally the problem.....well that and fat.

Please tell me you are being sarcastic! :frown:
  • Vx3_
    Vx3_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It is important not to deprive yourself of anything, just setting up for a binge. Unless you have a medical issue to do so. One word = MODERATION.

^THIS!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    All female mammals produce milk once they have given birth to provide nourishment for their young. Once the young are old enough to sustain on other foods, they stop nursing and the mother’s milk dries up. The only reason a cow has for producing milk is to feed its young. Some person walked past that calf one day and decided to sample what it was getting. Dairy industry was born. So, in the natural order of things, it is UN-natural for humans to drink cow's milk.

How is this different from someone walking past a zucchini one day and deciding to sample it? The natural reason for zucchini is to spread the seed of the plant. Does that make UN-natural for me to eat zucchini.

Bingo. Cooking meat wasn't exactly natural, either.

My assumption is that a bison got struck by lightening, caught fire, and smelled AMAZING. :love:
  • Septlondon
    Septlondon Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    All female mammals produce milk once they have given birth to provide nourishment for their young. Once the young are old enough to sustain on other foods, they stop nursing and the mother’s milk dries up. The only reason a cow has for producing milk is to feed its young. Some person walked past that calf one day and decided to sample what it was getting. Dairy industry was born. So, in the natural order of things, it is UN-natural for humans to drink cow's milk.

How is this different from someone walking past a zucchini one day and deciding to sample it? The natural reason for zucchini is to spread the seed of the plant. Does that make UN-natural for me to eat zucchini.

Bingo. Cooking meat wasn't exactly natural, either.

My assumption is that a bison got struck by lightening, caught fire, and smelled AMAZING. :love:

that is so funny......mental picture of very excited cave men.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Just so everyone knows, there is no need to eliminate gluten from your diet unless you have Celiacs Disease or some kind of gluten sensitivity. "Gluten free" does NOT mean health food! It means your digestive tract isn't working normally.

Thanks for your opinion, but many people would disagree with you on this one (perhaps you might find "Wheat Belly" an interesting read). I would argue that my digestive tract is working normally, now that it's not being aggravated by wheat/gluten. I suggest to everyone that is trying to be healthier to give it a shot and see how your body responds.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    A lot of fear mongering in this thread! There is no need to "give up" anything. Unless you have some medical condition where either dairy or wheat causes you a probelm it is just a choice to make like any other eating choice. You can include them or not.

Pasta is calorically dense and not quite so nutritionally dense. Dairy is nutritionally dense and, if you are doing strength training, contains IGH-1 which can be very beneficial. I go organic, hormone and antibiotic free. Yogurt can be awesome with it's protein and probiotic bacteria. If you have issues digesting lactose, you can try goat's milk. But if you have none of these issues, why demonize food?? If it fit's in your macros, knock yourself out!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Just so everyone knows, there is no need to eliminate gluten from your diet unless you have Celiacs Disease or some kind of gluten sensitivity. "Gluten free" does NOT mean health food! It means your digestive tract isn't working normally.

Thanks for your opinion, but many people would disagree with you on this one (perhaps you might find "Wheat Belly" an interesting read). I would argue that my digestive tract is working normally, now that it's not being aggravated by wheat/gluten. I suggest to everyone that is trying to be healthier to give it a shot and see how your body responds.

I have. Made absolutely no difference. Some are sensitive to gluten, most are not.
  • TheGlen
    Options

I have. Made absolutely no difference. Some are sensitive to gluten, most are not.

I've read several studies that say you are incorrect in saying "most are not", and in fact, most are (up to 85%). A lot of people are only mildly affected, and therefore don't recognize that the wheat/gluten is having a negative affect on them...like a slow poisoning.
  • vrstasira
    Options
    I really don't think you need to give up cheese. I do find, however that for weight loss purposes eating cheese in moderation helps. It is a good source of calcium and protein. I don't really buy into the whole "low fat is good for you thing." I think carbs are far more problematic.
  • PiggySweet
    PiggySweet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    miracle noodles. 0 calories.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I've read several studies that say you are incorrect in saying "most are not", and in fact, most are (up to 85%). A lot of people are only mildly affected, and therefore don't recognize that the wheat/gluten is having a negative affect on them...like a slow poisoning.

I thought that 85% stat was the number of undiagnosed cases out of everyone that has Celiacs rather than the population in general. Source please?
  • shannajojo
    shannajojo Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I would not give up dairy unless directed by a doctor or if you have an allergy to dairy. I would eat dairy, but limit your intake if you're concerned about it, or drink almind milk instead of regular milk, etc, or take supplements like D3. A lot of people are Vitamin D deficient because we are told to stay out of the sun, etc.
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    Hey :) Don't get discouraged.... me and my boyfriend went Paleo about a month ago. It's been really tough. No pasta, flour, bread, corn, milk, cheese, beans, sugar, and so much more. It has been tough, but I am losing a bunch of weight and feeling great. I have my slip ups from time to time but I get right back on the Paleo wagon. :)
  • nursewhitman
    nursewhitman Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I be damn if I give anything I love!

Moderation = Success

^this :smile:

I agree with them. I think giving up anything completely just isn't realistic or very healthy.
  • zumbagada
    zumbagada Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you have a sensitivity to dairy, take it out for two weeks and see if you feel better. You don't have to be full-on lactose intolerant to have a sensitivity. But if you don't have a sensitivity to it, I don't see a good reason to eliminate the best source of calcium and vitamin D, and pure yummyness.
  • TheGlen
    Options

I thought that 85% stat was the number of undiagnosed cases out of everyone that has Celiacs rather than the population in general. Source please?

I don't have it at my finger tips (I read this about a year ago), but if I come across it again, I'll send it your way.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    is there a health reason why? if not, why give it up? dairy has calcium us women need so very much. don't deprive your body of the good stuff.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options

I don't have it at my finger tips (I read this about a year ago), but if I come across it again, I'll send it your way.

You don't have that one at your finger tips, but what about one of the others, since there are, in your words, several such studies.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Definitely give up dairy.......more Ice Cream for me.......