Your choice in dog food?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• abstrakt_star
    abstrakt_star Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I used the same dog food for my Golden Retriever until he was a year old. Then I switched to Purina Dog Chow. I tried switching both of my dogs to 2 different brands of all natural expensive feeds. They were on them for 4 months and during the entire 4 months they had bad gas and irregular bowels. I put them back on Purina and their systems are back to normal.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    My Cats eat raw food and get a good mix of companies, UC, Red Dog Blue Kat, Arusha, Pets go raw. I also give them chicken necks for their teeth, egg yolks and salmon oil. When we get dogs (Roti, Dane) we will use the "Fru fru" food like Orijen/Acana or Go/Now and raw. Both great foods and both Canadian (I like to buy things that don't travel as much if I can) I would have used Evo/Innova but they have been bought out by P&G who own Iams and eukanuba and don't want to risk the change in quality. I have 2 other cats who are on them right now and are not doing to good in the last few months on the food and now have to switch. (I do also avoid P&G in my household all together and yes i do realize how big of a company they are. As for the vet who promotes raw you are my hero! I have had a lot of clients who say that their vet have told them that raw food will kill their pets and to never feed it to them then go on to recommend the lower quality foods. I then have to re educate them on the proper nutrition for their pets.

Feed them right in the first place and you wont have to take them to the vets. And feed them raw bones to chew. It keeps their teeth clean, keeps their muscles working well and has them burn off some energy.
  • Yankeegirlnj
    Yankeegirlnj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Our 4 legged family member eats Kirkland's Salmon and Sweet Potato. She used to eat Taste of the Wild. TOTW is made by Diamond and is the exact same food as the Costco Kirkland Salmon and Sweet Potato. However the Salmon & Sweet Potato is about $32 for a 30 lb bag. Last time I checked TOTW was pushing $50 in our local store.

We switched our picky (and allergic to almost everything) female nearly 6 months ago. No issues. She loves the food and is doing great on it.

Also check dogfoodadvisor.com. They have some great recommendations for dog food by brand.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    Both my animals (dog and cat) get fed Fromm. Love the ingredients, love that it's a local brand and is bought at a local pet store. If I were to change it'd be to go raw, but that's just a bit too expensive right now. Both the cat and the dog love the Zukes mini treats. Nani (the dog) will occassionally get a bully stick, but she goes through them so fast, it's usually a once a month treat. She also will get the occasional raw bone from the butcher and that lasts a lot longer. I'm not worried about calories or fat with them as Nani seems to regulate herself and Remus gets a strict amount each day. I like my animals lean, now to work on that myself. :wink:
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I work in a veterinary clinic, and we get this kind of question all the time. There are a lot of "fru fru' dog foods out there that claim to be nutritional, healthy, and delicious. The new refrigerated kinds of foods are a big fad right now. However, we try and steer our patients away from such foods. Iams, Purina, Eukanuba, and Hill's are all wonderful foods. You don't need anything special or pricey. Purina puppy chow is a perfectly fine food for your new puppy. Good luck, and remember that everything you do with your puppy is part of it's training.

Sure you can feed your dog food like that and they'll have a perfectly fine life. The family golden ate only Science Diet and lived to be 13, no hip problems, coat was fine, no food allergies. His teeth were disgusting, but that wasn't really food related. The difference between feeding Purina or the like and something "fru fru"-ier is much like what we eat. Sure you can live off potato chips and hamburgers and processed foods and live a perfectly fine life, or you could eat fresh foods and quality meats, and live a fuller, healthier life. If you're willing and able to pay extra money to eat the healthier foods, why not? If you're wanting that for your pet, and you're willing and able to, why not?
  • donuts08
    Options
    Eaglepack. Seriously my dogs look amazing when we feed them this we have two Boxers and we have tried all sorts this is the best.
  • SamanthaH10
    SamanthaH10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Diamond Naturals here - dogs have food allergies so have to be very careful what I feed them. Spoiled hounds eat mostly rice, chicken, and french fries more than dog food, though lol
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My dogs get a combination of prey model raw and homecooked and table scraps.

My biggest rule with dog food and treats is that I don't feed them anything specifically made for dogs, including the premade raw. I stay away from poisonous foods(chocolate, grapes, onions, various nuts, artificial sweeteners), and my one girl has a wheat allergy, so nothing with wheat for her.

I get the same results others have mentioned that actually feed their dogs real food: my 50lb dogs leave piles about the size of a kibble-fed Chihuahua, and it doesn't stink to high heaven. I have a foster dog right now that is eating kibble (as per the rescue organization sponsoring her fostering). My foster girl is the same size as the other two, eats wellness core, and poops gigantic stinky piles at least five times the size of our dogs' piles.

ETA: our dogs (minus the foster) eat different food every day, variety being the spice of life, and never get upset tummies from food switches.
  • ErinEwalani
    Options
    I was feedng my pup a cheap store brand and she was to thin and not eating . We switched to Blue Buffalo and she LOVES it, she has more energy and her skin problems have cleared up!
  • alexp74
    alexp74 Posts: 125
    Options
    My little guy is a 180 pound St. Bernard so he gets Large and Giant Breed Holistic Select and his favorite treats are lobster biscuits from Blue Seal.

He's also partial to salmon and chicken off the smoker, usually without authorization!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Our 4 legged family member eats Kirkland's Salmon and Sweet Potato. She used to eat Taste of the Wild. TOTW is made by Diamond and is the exact same food as the Costco Kirkland Salmon and Sweet Potato. However the Salmon & Sweet Potato is about $32 for a 30 lb bag. Last time I checked TOTW was pushing $50 in our local store.

We switched our picky (and allergic to almost everything) female nearly 6 months ago. No issues. She loves the food and is doing great on it.

Also check dogfoodadvisor.com. They have some great recommendations for dog food by brand.

We feed this, too. It's called Natures Domain. We switch between the Salmon and Sweet Potato and the Turkey and Sweet Potato.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have two dogs and four cats at home right now (long story, they are not all mine) and I feed them all Blue Buffalo.