Do you REALLY have a food allergy/intolerance?!

Options

Replies

• JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I lie and tell people I am allergic to tomatoes. Truth is I just really hate them and people do not accept that.

That was me for 14 years telling my ex I am allergic to mushrooms... Hate hate hate them and he would still put them in everything. (I guess I was really just allergic to him :laugh: )
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Well all my family do better on reduced gluten! We don't cut it out totally but cut it down! I am in a good place with 80% gluten free, my sister is at about 95% and happy and my Mum feels rubbish all the time because she can't be bothered to do anything about it! All I know is that I feel less tired and bloated without it in my diet!

More recently I had felt sick and very tired for about 2 months and after chatting with my sister we remembered that I had been lactose intollerant as a child and that I had been diagnosed with IBS as a teen. Apparently this is a commen missdiagnosis for lactose intollerance. I had been told to eat dairy for my PMS and as soon as I stopped doing that I felt better! I do have the lacto free milk and cheese and I can eat Goats chees in moderation, though not sheeps cheese! I had a test and it showed that I do have a mild alergy to Wheat but it showed nothing for dairy! It wouldn't though as I had already cut it from my diet.! I am also alergic to peanuts but it seems to be asymptomatic so as long as I don't over do it I should be fine!

Some people do have genuine problems and because of the way that tests are done, or not done as the case normaly is, it is very difficult to tell without experimenting on your own! I find people who use it as an excuse to lose weight quite sad as actually living with this is a real pain! I ate a choclate buscuit at work once. Never again! I was so ill it was awfull! I have agrivated a mild problem to the point that I now have to cut it out completely and it sucks!! And to be honest, it is not a joke or something to take lightly!
  • 76scenic
    76scenic Posts: 22
    Options
    For as long as I can remember (since childhood and I'm nearly 30) nearly every time I ate something I was getting sick to my stomach, I was always either constipated for days or had diarrhea for hours on end. I always felt tired, it felt like I was walking through jello. A few months ago I was giving up soda, (for the millionth time) and I realized it was the corn syrup in soda that was making it so hard to stop drinking it. So I started avoiding foods with corn syrup in them. This lead me to stop eating food if I couldn't read the label, and avoiding bread. It was specifically after I stopped eating bread for a few days, I suddenly felt amazing, I had more energy than ever before and I wasn't getting nauseous after eating anymore. So I've been gluten free for a few months now, I've had more energy than I have in years and the only time for the past few months I've been sick was directly after eating something with wheat in it. I know I will eventually have to go back to eating wheat so I can get properly tested at the doctor, because they can't check for a gluten intolerance if you are already gluten free so no, I don't know if I 'really' have an allergy. I just have some rather compelling evidence, and I've been enjoying my life without it.

You do not have to ever go back to Gluten. There are tests that do not require you to eat that crap and get sick again. There is a DNA marker for it. Also you can have an endoscopy where there test the health of the vili.
    Lastly, you're diet and now lack of symptoms confirms your need to be GF. Many many many doctors will end up suggesting trying the diet before they get into all those expensive tests anywy.

Pretty simple. If it makes you sick don't eat it. If it doesn't make you sick, eat it. Saves tons in medical bills.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I am currently recovering from anorexia and that was a common trick I used. Now the problem is I do have food intolerances thanks to the anorexia as well as a surgery gone wrong and its hard for people to believe me. In fact, some people don't believe me and sneak foods I am not supposed to have (animal fats for example) into recipes and then they find out just how intolerant I am.
    It is a common thing to use to get away from eating certain foods and anorexia is a dark, dark place. Honestly her mind is probably so entrenched in the pure horror of eating caused by anorexia that she may very well be convinced she has those intolerances. I know there are a lot of foods I was convinced I couldn't have because of my messed up surgery combined with my anorexia. For example, peanut butter, nuts, and olives. I literally believed these foods would make me ill and many times psychologically imposed symptoms on myself. But I now know that was a lie of my ED and those are some of the few fat sources I can process.
    I wish your cousin all the hope in the world in recovering. I am fighting now from a very low weight and it is so hard, but I have semi-recovered before and I know its worth it. I know some good treatment places if she needs them.

You are an inspiration! Good luck to you in everything you do!! Well done for getting on the right track!!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Yep. I was diagnosed with IBS as a child and it's only been recently that I figured out that just means they didn't know what it was (and since dr's don't like to admit that..they have a diagnosis!). [/quote]

I had IBS symptoms from toddlerhood. "Nothing we can do." Then a niece and a nephew were diagnosed with celiac. So I stopped eating gluten and ALL my symptoms disappeared! It is so nice to not recognize the food in the toilet, to not have to know where the nearest bathroom is, to not have the horrid cramps. No, I didn't bother getting the test. I didn't want to go back on gluten!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Options
    I have a cousin that is a hypocondriact and has all them issues too, they developed when she worked at a pharmacy and she learned about all this stuff, oh well I guess.I myself am lactose intolerant, milk gives me realy bad stomach aches for about a half hour, but i drink it occationaly anyways lol.
  • hbspdx
    hbspdx Posts: 4
    Options
    I had to give up wheat a few years after breaking out in hives and having joint pain within 20 minutes of eating anything containing wheat. I was tested and my allergist found that I am only allergic to wheat and not the rest of the gluten containing grains. I still eat wheat-based products from time to time (maybe once a month and I try to stay away from highly processed or commercially prepared products) but I have prednisone to counteract the reaction.

I also am allergic to shellfish. a few months back I inadvertently ate a dumpling that contained shrimp. I had a piece the size of a pencil eraser (based on what I found in the rest of the dumpling) and within two minutes was in stage two analphylaxis. Not fun as I didn't have my epipen. a bunch of steroids, water and a long nap, and I felt better. but if I hadn't had the prednisone I would have ended up in the hospital.

I have had many people in my life not believe me when I tell them I have a wheat allergy (shellfish is much easier to avoid save for the errant dumpling!). but then when they see me break out in hives, well, that changes their opinion fast. I have only "proven" myself this way twice, mainly because the person was being an utter *kitten* about it.

I have known many people who claim to be allergic to certain food products because it is the latest fad, they are on a diet, or they don't like something in particular. I find it irksome when this happens because it causes others to question everyone else when it is known that said person isn't actually allergic.
  • tragicpixie
    Options
    As a Celiac, I need to speak up.

First, I feel bad for the cousin. Regardless of perceived legitamacy of the diagnosis. She feels better not eating the gluten. No different than feeling better when you exercise or diet. No to mention 90lbs is only ~50lbs under ideal weight. It's better to be this than over it.

That's silly, it's actually very unhealthy to be that much underweight, for any reason. Even if the weight loss was due to a medical problem like an allergy and she hasn't gained it back or found a healthy diet around it; being underweight for women is actually more unhealthy than being overweight. Malnourishment can happen to people who are overweight who just have awful diets, but it's pretty much impossible to meet dietary needs for dairy and calcium if you aren't eating enough food - and add to that a woman's body needs a certain level of fat to function and once hormones begin to get "off" it's very hard to re-regulate and "undo" damage.
    We put a lot of pressure on people who are overweight, but truthfully for women it's better to be a little over but healthy in regards to diet than to be underweight, especially at such a young age. Women's bodies during childbearing ages store calcium and "set up" the body during the menopausal phase in other ways, being underweight for any significant period during this time can permanently damage the body: much more so than being "overweight" - much of the damage is reversible and controllable if weight is lost.
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have actual food intolerances, I don't completely cut out the food groups just reduce my intake of them. I cant eat acidic fruits in large amounts of I am ill for days and certain vegetables as well! severe IBS and under lining food tolerances are not a match made in heaven but its finding that balance is quite hard.
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's silly ^^, but I guess it can be very serious if she herself believes this to be true o.o.

I developed an adult soy allergy, so no more tofu or soy milk for me XP . . . even though they're a popular "diet" food XD.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to dairy. Yes allergic. Not just lactose intolerant, allergic to Whey and Casein. Officially diagnosed through skin tests, blood tests, the good old food diary test, etc. I get so very frustrated when I mention this at restaurants or to friends and immediately get Oh yeah I'm lactose intolerant too but I just take a pill, why don't you? And I also hear that dairy allergies are something you grow out of and I can't possibly still be allergic to it. It is so frustrating. My doctor's also determined I cannot have pineapple period. And I am currently still suffering from exzcema/hive breakouts so they continue to try and determine what is going on. I have a terrible feeling it could be that lactose is used to bind my thyroid meds as it is for many different medications which could be causing the continued discomfort.

As for your cousin, please try your best to help her!
  • ntlpeterson
    ntlpeterson Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I lie and tell people I am allergic to tomatoes. Truth is I just really hate them and people do not accept that.

^^This except for with seafood :)
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I've known for a while that I had an intolerance to gluten, but no doctor would test it because I was overweight, and they just kept saying that the stomach problems are likely to be caused by my insides working harder.
    After I had my last child I went gluten free to help clear up PG (an autoimmune skin condition). I did it for a month - I never felt better. Then I started introducing the products back in - almost immediately the stomach pains were so much worse than they had been before, so now I am being tested for coeliac disease since they found the antibodies.
    To be honest, I'm hoping that I have an intolerance to wheat rather than a full allergy to gluten, since I'd rather not avoid foods or buy other products if there's nothing overly wrong with me.

It does irritate me a little when others lie about things they have or haven't got in order to avoid doing things, but at the same time, if they feel they have to lie, then I hope it's picked up on and they manage to find some help before it gets out of hand.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    NO, I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT ANNOUNCE my Cealiac Disease/Gluten Intolerance just to avoid explaining a diet or to lose weight. Truth be told being Celiac and following it's restrictions to the tee is the HARDEST thing in the world. You would not believe the things that have Gluten in them that are not even foods. It's in everything: food, cleaners, beauty care, soaps, shampoos, toothpaste and list goes on.

I watch hair care and body wash labels very carefully now, and I don't know if it's because of switching products, or just because I don't eat gluten anymore, but my scalp doesn't break out like it used to. It was kind of embarrassing. I hardly ever wear makeup, but when I do buy it, I scan the ingredients - and if there aren't any, I keep shopping.
  • tragicpixie
    Options
    I am currently recovering from anorexia and that was a common trick I used. Now the problem is I do have food intolerances thanks to the anorexia as well as a surgery gone wrong and its hard for people to believe me. In fact, some people don't believe me and sneak foods I am not supposed to have (animal fats for example) into recipes and then they find out just how intolerant I am.

I had a hard time re-feeding and spent years avoiding certain foods because I was afraid they would make me sick. I am pretty much "over" that but really unhealthy food does give me a stomach ache. It gets better once you figure out what your body will and won't digest. I am still always a little suspicious of meat and can't eat anything really, really sweet. I don't know if that qualifies as an intolerance, but things with some kinds of sweeteners make me sick - like non-diet soda, mixed drinks with pre-made mixes.. that kind of stuff. When I drink them a little while later I get a really bad stomach ache (even after half a soda or a few sips from someone's). If I've had more than a few sips of something, or more than one piece of candy, I'll still get sick. :(
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I frequently tell people that I'm allergic to cake or pie or other decadent desserts. When they ask what kind of allergic reaction it gives me, I reply, "It makes me break out in big rolls of fat!" Seriously, though, that does appear to be my only food allergy!
  • wavdawg4
    wavdawg4 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to a lot of fruits and some spices... its rediculous.
    Sometimes I'm able to eat them and have NO reaction what so ever.. Otherwise it ranges from a light irritating itch to PUFFING up... It can be "organic" or not "organic" ...Most of the times I try to keep benedryl strips handy.. Just in case I do have a reaction that gets out of hand. Sometimes I'm lucky and can just take a few minutes and drink whatever I'm drinking, swish it around in my mouth..after a few minutes the itching will subside a little and I keep eating. I don't take the benedryl unless I have to.
  • Wenchilada
    Options
    While I agree that it could be used as a convenient "excuse" for just not eating anything, ever, it really makes me angry when people do that. It makes things that much harder for people who do have things they must avoid, because once someone has one bad experience with someone who is lying about something for attention or whatever other reason, it's easy to assume that anyone else with a similar "problem" is also a dirty lying liar.

Bravo!

My mother-in-law didn't believe I had Crohn's because I was overweight (and I got overweight from cancer treatment, go figure), as well as what I'm guessing were picky eaters disguised as 'food allergy sufferers'. So she was always skeptical whenever I brought my own food whenever hubby and I stayed at her house. Then came the time she made a lunch I really wanted to eat, although I know I shouldn't have because it had two major trigger foods. When she saw me with a severely swollen face and noticed I spent the better part of the afternoon in the bathroom, she suddenly became VERY supportive of the restrictive diet to manage Crohn's. Now she's not only accepting of my food intolerances, but is totally supportive of my dietary choices and fusses over my eating habits like crazy.

That's awesome that she came around. Like I tell people who push the issue with me (trying to get me to eat their homemade cookies, go out for pizza with them, whatever): It won't kill me, but it will make me very uncomfortable for a few days, and you probably won't want to be anywhere near me. (because of my mood or because of the toots, take your pick. :embarassed:)
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm still fat enough that nobody would question if I'm anorexic (I'm not, for the record) when I tell them I can't have gluten... :ohwell:

Food sensitivities, intolerances, allergies, what have you... they are a fact of life for many people. Just yesterday a friend reported that her infant tested positive for allergies to peanuts, soy, and eggs, so they were going to go test their 3-year-old in case they might have overlooked anything she shouldn't be eating.

While I agree that it could be used as a convenient "excuse" for just not eating anything, ever, it really makes me angry when people do that. It makes things that much harder for people who do have things they must avoid, because once someone has one bad experience with someone who is lying about something for attention or whatever other reason, it's easy to assume that anyone else with a similar "problem" is also a dirty lying liar.

It also made me mad when I realized my gut reaction to the title of this thread. All I wanted to do was say, "Yes, I REALLY do!" and then flail about, trying to validate myself somehow to a bunch of people whom I've probably never even spoken to on here before. I get defensive, I feel a little hurt that someone I've never met is implying that I am a liar and am seeking attention or could even be masking an eating disorder, and I wonder whether my friends, family, and coworkers are thinking the same thing.

If I could have gluten products without suffering from systemic aftereffects for several days afterward (damn it, there I go trying to validate myself!), I would definitely choose them over the other options presented as "substitutes." Many of them are just terrible, both in taste and nutrition, so I have sought to just change how I eat rather than trying to mimic the stuff I used to be able to eat. I do occasionally get stuff like Udi's gluten-free multigrain hamburger buns (for instance, if we are having a cookout or potluck), but they're way too expensive for everyday use.

It sucks if your cousin did, in fact, lie to get attention (or maybe dodge it), but please don't assume that everyone who reports a food allergy or intolerance is pulling the same crap as she did. And asking them to "show their papers," so to speak, is way past the boundaries of decent human interaction. Just take their word for it, and if you don't like it or "agree" with it, walk away.

Why not just go primal or paleo... Bad taste and nutrition? I think not!

I will not however tell people about my choice and do lie about it, as my god... people are irritating when you tell them your specifics you DO NOT EAT for health reasons... gluten and grains for one aren't that healthy or nutritious actually, plenty of studies have proved that point.... So I call lie on that one...

However I do have a friend, who has a weight issue, MAJOR issue, and has made my life a living hell because I a male, get compared to her a female because of my choices, just because she says she is gluten intolerant, dairy blah blah blah... Pisses me off....

I actually do feel crap when I eat breads or grains..... I cannot remember the last time I had milk... this is me... And because of this cow, I am being thrown into a whole you must be anorexic, oh god your looking too skinny and all that crap....

Seriously? Shut up.... Just... Shut up... I can do a 5km run in almost 22m, 10km in under 50m half in under 2hr. And now doing my marathon and aiming for under 5hr for a qualify for my 56km and 90km race.

I am not sick, I am healthy, I am not frail, I am healthy... If I say I have an allergy.. I mostly do not.. however.. I do have an allergy, and no doctor has been able to tell me what it is about... I cannot eat store bought fish sticks, I puke almost immediately after, no idea why, they taste good, but something makes me puke after... Homemade fish sticks, give me any day and no issues...

Actually... maybe someone here can relate and knows why I feel this way about fish sticks?
  • Wenchilada
    Options
    Well, I'm still fat enough that nobody would question if I'm anorexic (I'm not, for the record) when I tell them I can't have gluten... :ohwell:

Food sensitivities, intolerances, allergies, what have you... they are a fact of life for many people. Just yesterday a friend reported that her infant tested positive for allergies to peanuts, soy, and eggs, so they were going to go test their 3-year-old in case they might have overlooked anything she shouldn't be eating.

It also made me mad when I realized my gut reaction to the title of this thread. All I wanted to do was say, "Yes, I REALLY do!" and then flail about, trying to validate myself somehow to a bunch of people whom I've probably never even spoken to on here before. I get defensive, I feel a little hurt that someone I've never met is implying that I am a liar and am seeking attention or could even be masking an eating disorder, and I wonder whether my friends, family, and coworkers are thinking the same thing.

If I could have gluten products without suffering from systemic aftereffects for several days afterward (damn it, there I go trying to validate myself!), I would definitely choose them over the other options presented as "substitutes." Many of them are just terrible, both in taste and nutrition, so I have sought to just change how I eat rather than trying to mimic the stuff I used to be able to eat. I do occasionally get stuff like Udi's gluten-free multigrain hamburger buns (for instance, if we are having a cookout or potluck), but they're way too expensive for everyday use.

It sucks if your cousin did, in fact, lie to get attention (or maybe dodge it), but please don't assume that everyone who reports a food allergy or intolerance is pulling the same crap as she did. And asking them to "show their papers," so to speak, is way past the boundaries of decent human interaction. Just take their word for it, and if you don't like it or "agree" with it, walk away.

Why not just go primal or paleo... Bad taste and nutrition? I think not!

I am more or less doing [or at least attempting to do] a bastardized version of primal these days.