I felt sort of smug at the grocery store this evening...

Options
I know I shouldn't, but I can't help it. We (my husband and I) were checking out. This is what we bought: diet soda (I drink 1/day, max), veggie bacon, coffee creamer (okay, not so good for you), asparagus, mushrooms, whole wheat English muffins and egg beaters.

The guy behind me plopped down two boxes of hostess cakes and four pints of ice cream.

I felt proud of what I was buying 'cause not too long ago, I'd have made a similar purchase as his (okay, not the hostess stuff 'cause it's not vegetarian, but something equally as bad).

Replies

• pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I know I shouldn't, but I can't help it. We (my husband and I) were checking out. This is what we bought: diet soda (I drink 1/day, max), veggie bacon, coffee creamer (okay, not so good for you), asparagus, mushrooms, whole wheat English muffins and egg beaters.

The guy behind me plopped down two boxes of hostess cakes and four pints of ice cream.

I felt proud of what I was buying 'cause not too long ago, I'd have made a similar purchase as his (okay, not the hostess stuff 'cause it's not vegetarian, but something equally as bad).

My wife and I were at the store tonight and felt extremely smug as well. We bought 30 boxes of sugar free jello and 4 Gallons of ice cream. And we intend to eat every bit of it. Which we usually do.
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Me, I just bypass the pop and chip aisle and giggle at all the money saved!
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Hostess cakes aren't vegetarian? Thankfully I don't like them, or I might have been in for a nasty surprise, but what's in them?
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians can't eat hostess stuff? What's the meat in there?
  • JenG_2011
    JenG_2011 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Your cat on your ticker is looking pretty smug as well.. must run in the family..
  • KhaosTh30ry
    KhaosTh30ry Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
    I am eating healthier, but I still buy treats from time to time and I still lose the pounds :)
    So my cart looks kind of odd, such as: diet soda, chicken, tuna, healthy choice cafe steamers, pint of mayfield turtle tracks ice cream...lol!
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    My wife and I were at the store tonight and felt extremely smug as well. We bought 30 boxes of sugar free jello and 4 Gallons of ice cream. And we intend to eat every bit of it. Which we usually do.

I just had to LOL
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    Hostess cakes aren't vegetarian? Thankfully I don't like them, or I might have been in for a nasty surprise, but what's in them?

The filling is made from whipped pig fat. Or, so I have been told.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

The filling in the cupcakes and twinkies is whipped animal lard. Yum!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

but that's not meat...
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was for a sleepover for his kids or for a party or something? it obviously wasn't his meal plan for the month. get over yourself. today i bought beer and smore's fixings for a dessert i'm making for a tailgate tomorrow. i also have tons of veggies, fruit, whole wheat breads, low calorie snacks, nuts, oatmeal, and tons of other healthy things in my home.

just cause i go out a buy junk doesn't mean it's what i eat. Actually, the times i go out and only buy junk are the times i'm making it for other people...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Good job buying healthy foods.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

What is wrong with ice cream and hostess cakes?
  • pg3ibew
    Options

I just had to LOL

If I wasn't so lazy right now, I would take a pic of my freezer and post the 16 different gallons of ice cream in it.
  • pg3ibew
    Options

but that's not meat...

Pig fat is not meat? :headscratch: :confusion:
  • careyannal
    Options
    I just looked it up and apparently the cream filling has beef fat in it. Learn something new...

(Wouldn't that be non-VEGAN-friendly though?)
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

I just had to LOL

If I wasn't so lazy right now, I would take a pic of my freezer and post the 16 different gallons of ice cream in it.

for some reason every time i read it i have to lol
  • rudimae
    rudimae Posts: 107
    Options
    Your cat on your ticker is looking pretty smug as well.. must run in the family..

*L* Yep, the is my Bananafishbones. He was a kitten when I took that pic...he's a big boy now.
  • rudimae
    rudimae Posts: 107
    Options
    Maybe it was for a sleepover for his kids or for a party or something? it obviously wasn't his meal plan for the month. get over yourself. today i bought beer and smore's fixings for a dessert i'm making for a tailgate tomorrow. i also have tons of veggies, fruit, whole wheat breads, low calorie snacks, nuts, oatmeal, and tons of other healthy things in my home.

just cause i go out a buy junk doesn't mean it's what i eat. Actually, the times i go out and only buy junk are the times i'm making it for other people...

Get over myself? Nice way to be supportive. I wasn't saying anything nasty about him. I was just proud of myself for making better food choices.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I just looked it up and apparently the cream filling has beef fat in it. Learn something new...

(Wouldn't that be non-VEGAN-friendly though?)

Last time I checked an animal had to be killed to harvest their fat...pretty sure it isn't vegetarian friendly.