I felt sort of smug at the grocery store this evening...

Options

Replies

• mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was for a sleepover for his kids or for a party or something? it obviously wasn't his meal plan for the month. get over yourself. today i bought beer and smore's fixings for a dessert i'm making for a tailgate tomorrow. i also have tons of veggies, fruit, whole wheat breads, low calorie snacks, nuts, oatmeal, and tons of other healthy things in my home.

just cause i go out a buy junk doesn't mean it's what i eat. Actually, the times i go out and only buy junk are the times i'm making it for other people...

Get over myself? Nice way to be supportive. I wasn't saying anything nasty about him. I was just proud of myself for making better food choices.

That's awesome that you're making better choices, but it also doesn't make you better than anyone.
  • careyannal
    Options
    I just looked it up and apparently the cream filling has beef fat in it. Learn something new...

(Wouldn't that be non-VEGAN-friendly though?)

Last time I checked an animal had to be killed to harvest their fat...pretty sure it isn't vegetarian friendly.

Hmm, if you say so. I was a vegetarian for years and simply did not eat meat. Guess I was doing it all wrong.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I just looked it up and apparently the cream filling has beef fat in it. Learn something new...

Last time I checked an animal had to be killed to harvest their fat...pretty sure it isn't vegetarian friendly.

I thought vegetarians are just no meat, vegan is nothing that comes from an animal ever. There's an in between now?
  • rudimae
    rudimae Posts: 107
    Options

Hmm, if you say so. I was a vegetarian for years and simply did not eat meat. Guess I was doing it all wrong.

I think it's just where your comfort level is. For me, it's about not eating anything the animal had to die for. For others, it's simply not eating the flesh.
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hostess cakes aren't vegetarian? Thankfully I don't like them, or I might have been in for a nasty surprise, but what's in them?

The filling is made from whipped pig fat. Or, so I have been told.

You're just making them sound better and better
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Hostess cakes aren't vegetarian? Thankfully I don't like them, or I might have been in for a nasty surprise, but what's in them?

The filling is made from whipped pig fat. Or, so I have been told.

You're just making them sound better and better

HAHAHA!! I just love the swine. If only I could wrap them in bacon.
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I know I shouldn't, but I can't help it. We (my husband and I) were checking out. This is what we bought: diet soda (I drink 1/day, max), veggie bacon, coffee creamer (okay, not so good for you), asparagus, mushrooms, whole wheat English muffins and egg beaters.

The guy behind me plopped down two boxes of hostess cakes and four pints of ice cream.

I felt proud of what I was buying 'cause not too long ago, I'd have made a similar purchase as his (okay, not the hostess stuff 'cause it's not vegetarian, but something equally as bad).

Wow, judgmental much ? Don't worry, there are plenty of people here that will frown or look down their nose at your diet soda and creamer. I think it would be better for all of us if we remembered where we came from, or still are.

ETA: In 3 . . 2 . . 1. .
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I always feel smug, especially if buying at a regular grocery store. There are lots of sugar free items that "might help" your waistline but are really bad for you (full of chemicals). I would rather eat real sugar and just in moderation than something that was made I'm a lab.
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I dont think she was being judgemental and from the way it was posted almost sounds like the word smug wasnt even the word she was looking for. I think she was saying that she is proud of herself for making better decisions in that it could have been her cart used to look like that!!! But way to go guys for being negative nancys!!!! What was it my mom always told me "if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all". So rather than picking apart her post how bout yall be nice and see that she is making an effort whether diet soda and creamer are in your diet or not!!!

By the way OP....Good for you for making better decisions while grocery shopping!! I have a hard time kicking the soda habit and some other sweet things so I too have switched to diet soda's and sugar free jello...at least its better than nothing!!!
  • rudimae
    Options
    Geez, folks, I guess smug was the wrong word to use. I meant it in a pleased with myself way, not in a better than the other guy way. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was looking down on the other guy. I just meant that I was happy and proud of myself for making better food choices for myself. Because that is sort of newish to me. Previously, I'd have never thought of buying the veggies. I was just happy that I've become more aware of what I buy and eat. Of seeing the type of food I would have purchased another time lined up behind they type of food I was currently buying.

I'm not saying that I always make great choices, I know that's not the case. And I'm not saying that that type of food is always bad. It had nothing to do with the guy who was buying the other stuff or what anyone else eats. It had everything to do with feeling proud that I was making at least some good choices, making some changes in my life.

So sorry if people thought I was being judgemental.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Geez people can be harsh. I totally get where you're coming from - I've been house-sitting for the past few weeks and have had to dabble in grocery shopping for the whole house and I always feel super proud of my purchases (lots of fruit and veges, a small amount of meat, bread, yoghurts etc) :smile:

Then again, there are also times when I'm gearing up for a mad baking session I earned at the gym and will be buying truckloads of chocolate, butter and cream :tongue:
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    Geez, folks, I guess smug was the wrong word to use. I meant it in a pleased with myself way, not in a better than the other guy way. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was looking down on the other guy. I just meant that I was happy and proud of myself for making better food choices for myself. Because that is sort of newish to me. Previously, I'd have never thought of buying the veggies. I was just happy that I've become more aware of what I buy and eat. Of seeing the type of food I would have purchased another time lined up behind they type of food I was currently buying.

I'm not saying that I always make great choices, I know that's not the case. And I'm not saying that that type of food is always bad. It had nothing to do with the guy who was buying the other stuff or what anyone else eats. It had everything to do with feeling proud that I was making at least some good choices, making some changes in my life.

So sorry if people thought I was being judgemental.

Don't feel bad or apologize for what you said. We are all judgemental in our own way.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    I know I shouldn't, but I can't help it. We (my husband and I) were checking out. This is what we bought: diet soda (I drink 1/day, max), veggie bacon, coffee creamer (okay, not so good for you), asparagus, mushrooms, whole wheat English muffins and egg beaters.

The guy behind me plopped down two boxes of hostess cakes and four pints of ice cream.

I felt proud of what I was buying 'cause not too long ago, I'd have made a similar purchase as his (okay, not the hostess stuff 'cause it's not vegetarian, but something equally as bad).

My wife and I were at the store tonight and felt extremely smug as well. We bought 30 boxes of sugar free jello and 4 Gallons of ice cream. And we intend to eat every bit of it. Which we usually do.

Add whipped cream and you have yourself a really fun night :devil:
  • rudimae
    Options
    I dont think she was being judgemental and from the way it was posted almost sounds like the word smug wasnt even the word she was looking for. I think she was saying that she is proud of herself for making better decisions in that it could have been her cart used to look like that!!! But way to go guys for being negative nancys!!!! What was it my mom always told me "if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all". So rather than picking apart her post how bout yall be nice and see that she is making an effort whether diet soda and creamer are in your diet or not!!!

By the way OP....Good for you for making better decisions while grocery shopping!! I have a hard time kicking the soda habit and some other sweet things so I too have switched to diet soda's and sugar free jello...at least its better than nothing!!!

Thank you! I posted the response below yours before reading yours, but you hit it exactly. I'm glad you saw through my poor word choice and understood what I mean. Thank you again.
  • pg3ibew
    Options

My wife and I were at the store tonight and felt extremely smug as well. We bought 30 boxes of sugar free jello and 4 Gallons of ice cream. And we intend to eat every bit of it. Which we usually do.

Add whipped cream and you have yourself a really fun night :devil:

OOOOOH yes!!! Absolutely, WHIPPED cream and usually a 90 calorie brownie. CHeck my profile. Go back as far as it will let you, and you will see ice cream 99 percent of the days.

I can't log the other stuff. HEHEHEHEH!!!!
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Good job on the buying healthy foods lol ..
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Deleted because I didn't mean to step into a war. :D
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    ooo I loved Hostess but could only afford Little Debbie and I courted her heavily. Swiss rolls, Nutty Bars, Oatmeal Cremes, then the Chocolate chip cremes...ohh I loved Little Debbie, I think she may be here somewhere...
    I enjoy going to the store and only shopping about half the store.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    LOL some people get so cranky over a harmless pat on the back. Good job OP and I didn't read an ounce of "smug" in there. I saw you make some progress and be proud of it. Good for you!!
  • CaelGomez
    Options

I thought vegetarians are just no meat, vegan is nothing that comes from an animal ever. There's an in between now?

A vegan cannot eat meat or ANY animal by-products. Vegetarians cannot eat anything that comes from the death of an animal. Vegetarians CAN eat cheese, eggs, and drink milk because obtaining said items does not result in animal deaths.

Vegans view getting animal milk, eggs, etc. as... unethical? Yeah, unethical I guess... since you are forcing animals to provide something that they are not okay with.

There is no in-between... unless you count pescatarianism, which is what I am.

I was a vegetarian for a year, and have been a pescatarian for the past four years.
    My friend has been a vegan for five or so years, I believe.