I felt sort of smug at the grocery store this evening...

Options

Replies

• apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Be careful what you write! Some people on here like to pick at ya for the smallest things. Don't pay them any mind.

Good for you, though! I know how it feels... I used to be the chick at the store that bought a ton of frozen foods and sweets and then be self conscious about it like people were staring at me (lol). Now I don't care as I'm the one buying the fresh produce, whole grains and lean meats. It's a good feeling! You're not looking down on anyone, you're just happy that YOU made better food choices. I get it.
  • meandtwocats
    Options
    ooo I loved Hostess but could only afford Little Debbie and I courted her heavily. Swiss rolls, Nutty Bars, Oatmeal Cremes, then the Chocolate chip cremes...ohh I loved Little Debbie, I think she may be here somewhere...
    I enjoy going to the store and only shopping about half the store.
    Little Debbie products are way better than Houstess. AND with better ingredients. I so... agree. I love little Debbie Swiss rolls. Can't wait until I am at my goal so I can have a treat again.
  • CaelGomez
    Options
    I know I shouldn't, but I can't help it. We (my husband and I) were checking out. This is what we bought: diet soda (I drink 1/day, max), veggie bacon, coffee creamer (okay, not so good for you), asparagus, mushrooms, whole wheat English muffins and egg beaters.

The guy behind me plopped down two boxes of hostess cakes and four pints of ice cream.

I felt proud of what I was buying 'cause not too long ago, I'd have made a similar purchase as his (okay, not the hostess stuff 'cause it's not vegetarian, but something equally as bad).

Wow, judgmental much ? Don't worry, there are plenty of people here that will frown or look down their nose at your diet soda and creamer. I think it would be better for all of us if we remembered where we came from, or still are.

ETA: In 3 . . 2 . . 1. .

She said nothing judgmental.
    She said her lifestyle choice.

I don't know what your religion is, or if you believe in any religion...
    but let's say you're Christian...
    and you're telling your friends a story about a girl who went to a Catholic church to pray for her brother who was diagnosed with cancer.
    You go on to say that not too long ago, you were in the same situation... but instead of a Catholic church, you prayed at a Christian church since you are a Christian.

Nowhere in that situation would you be being judgmental towards the girl in the hypothetical story.
    You would merely be saying that you did the same thing, except saying you're Christian rather than Catholic.

If she straight up said "I think you guys are horrible people for eating things that scream when you kill it"... then THAT would be judgmental! Lol. She didn't say that, though.
  • Taneil27
    Options
    I feel that way quite a bit when I shop. Like I feel all proud or something. I guess in a way it makes me feel good about myself.
  • KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I know I feel much better about myself when I plop bags of fruits and veggies on the conveyor than I did when it was Doritos and Cheetos.

Anything about making better choices that makes you feel good and keep doing it is a win.
  • rudimae
    rudimae Posts: 107
    Options
    ooo I loved Hostess but could only afford Little Debbie and I courted her heavily. Swiss rolls, Nutty Bars, Oatmeal Cremes, then the Chocolate chip cremes...ohh I loved Little Debbie, I think she may be here somewhere...
    I enjoy going to the store and only shopping about half the store.

*L* I used to say the only women my husband would ever leave me for was Little Debbie.
  • kytte
    kytte Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i bet his girl is pregnant.
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    Way to go!! :)
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    love it! it's great shopping on the healthy side of the store! a couple weeks ago a cashier commented on my healthy basket of all veggies, skim milk, fiber one cereal, and a couple lean cuisines. I'm still smiling! That's better than someone telling you how nice you look, lol
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I just looked it up and apparently the cream filling has beef fat in it. Learn something new...

(Wouldn't that be non-VEGAN-friendly though?)

Last time I checked an animal had to be killed to harvest their fat...pretty sure it isn't vegetarian friendly.

I thought vegetarians are just no meat, vegan is nothing that comes from an animal ever. There's an in between now?

A vegan cannot eat meat or ANY animal by-products. Vegetarians cannot eat anything that comes from the death of an animal. Vegetarians CAN eat cheese, eggs, and drink milk because obtaining said items does not result in animal deaths.

Vegans view getting animal milk, eggs, etc. as... unethical? Yeah, unethical I guess... since you are forcing animals to provide something that they are not okay with.

There is no in-between... unless you count pescatarianism, which is what I am.

I was a vegetarian for a year, and have been a pescatarian for the past four years.
    My friend has been a vegan for five or so years, I believe.

Actually I think that vegetarian, or "strict" vegetarian, originally was basically the same thing as vegan. The term vegan was coined because vegetarian started to connote including milk and eggs as the norm. Now, you have lacto ovo vegetarian, or just lacto or just ovo, and pescetarian. Theoretically, ethical vegetarians won't eat what an animal has been killed for - so no flesh, gelatin, etc.
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I knew exactly what you meant, and I think it's great that you are beginning to have more awareness not just of where you've been, but of what you want to accomplish. When I am in line behind someone who is buying frozen this-that-or-the-other meal, along with chips and packaged, processed foods and soda, I remember the days when those were my staples, and I remember how crappy I felt all the time and how little energy I had and how much weight I eventually gained, and I feel proud of myself for my change of habit and diet. One could even say I feel "smug." It has less to do with judgement of the person in front of me and more to do with acknowledging my own accomplishments. Congratulations on your progress and keep up the good work!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I bought today at the supermarket. You can look smug at me but I lost 96 pounds =P

Keebler Coconut Dreams
    Who Nu? Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
    25oz Jar of Unsweetened Apple Sauce which I had for dinner
    12oz Bottle of Mexican Coca-cola
    Store Brand Raisin Bran

And you know I went there to buy some Fresh Mozzarella and forgot about it =\
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yes, that sounds like a pregnancy craving run (of which my husband made many!)

A couple weeks ago, we went on a road trip and I bought snack food and junk food for the other 5 people traveling (I also packed hard boiled eggs homemade gluten-free muffins, fruit and cut up veggies)...as it sailed past me, I felt compelled to mention to the cashier that it was junk for the road. And not for me! :-). I guess shame is the opposite of smug. Who knows what the circumstances were, really, but good for you for making your choices. You should feel proud.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be a troll, but animal lard is a NO but cream is OK? (Unless you mean non-dairy creamer). I know there are vegetarians that still consume dairy, but I don't get the cherry-picking of saying yes to some things and no to others. If you eat vegetarian for moral reasons, then in my opinion, it has to be ALL or NONE. Not SOME. And then it gets into the whole leather/no leather thing. I fully appreciate those that make the choice to be vegetarian/vegan, but I don't understand when they still consume/use obvious animal-industry based products because of either "nutrition" or "convenience."

More power to you on your shopping habits, though. If it helps you on your journey then good for you. I don't think you were comparing your purchases to HIS purchases (like a competition) but probably comparing to the purchases the OLD YOU would have made. In which place, yes, good for you!
  • haylz247
    Options
    Hostess cakes aren't vegetarian? Thankfully I don't like them, or I might have been in for a nasty surprise, but what's in them?

The filling in the cupcakes and twinkies is whipped animal lard. Yum!

Eww! I was so close to buying these a few weeks ago from this little American store (I'm from the UK)
    They look so tasty too! :(
  • marsviolet
    marsviolet Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be a troll, but animal lard is a NO but cream is OK? (Unless you mean non-dairy creamer). I know there are vegetarians that still consume dairy, but I don't get the cherry-picking of saying yes to some things and no to others. If you eat vegetarian for moral reasons, then in my opinion, it has to be ALL or NONE. Not SOME. And then it gets into the whole leather/no leather thing. I fully appreciate those that make the choice to be vegetarian/vegan, but I don't understand when they still consume/use obvious animal-industry based products because of either "nutrition" or "convenience."

More power to you on your shopping habits, though. If it helps you on your journey then good for you. I don't think you were comparing your purchases to HIS purchases (like a competition) but probably comparing to the purchases the OLD YOU would have made. In which place, yes, good for you!

The animal didn't die for the cream. Which is why a vegetarian can eat it, if they choose to do so, but a vegan cannot.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options

The animal didn't die for the cream. Which is why a vegetarian can eat it, if they choose to do so, but a vegan cannot.

^^This.

But, people will call themselves whatever they want. I have met people who didn't eat red meat, but did eat fish and poultry, who called themselves vegetarian. Obviously most people would disagree that they are, but there's nothing anyone can do about it. You can eat a hamburger at every meal and call yourself vegetarian! It's not like there is a regulatory committee that goes around to make sure the vegetarians and vegans are all "doing it right"... contrary to what the "bacon trolls" who constantly flip out at everyone on all the vegetarian/vegan threads seem to believe. :)
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Geez, folks, I guess smug was the wrong word to use. I meant it in a pleased with myself way, not in a better than the other guy way. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was looking down on the other guy. I just meant that I was happy and proud of myself for making better food choices for myself. Because that is sort of newish to me. Previously, I'd have never thought of buying the veggies. I was just happy that I've become more aware of what I buy and eat. Of seeing the type of food I would have purchased another time lined up behind they type of food I was currently buying.

I'm not saying that I always make great choices, I know that's not the case. And I'm not saying that that type of food is always bad. It had nothing to do with the guy who was buying the other stuff or what anyone else eats. It had everything to do with feeling proud that I was making at least some good choices, making some changes in my life.

So sorry if people thought I was being judgemental.

It's really sad you have to explain your meaning or intent at all. People are so quick to be mean. Maybe you are the whipping girl today for their own frustrations. Good for you for your healthy choices and to heck with everyone else.
  • marthadztx
    marthadztx Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, it's a feeling of pride in yourself for making better healthy choices. Keep going NEVER quit! :flowerforyou:
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options

^^This.

But, people will call themselves whatever they want. I have met people who didn't eat red meat, but did eat fish and poultry, who called themselves vegetarian. Obviously most people would disagree that they are, but there's nothing anyone can do about it. You can eat a hamburger at every meal and call yourself vegetarian! It's not like there is a regulatory committee that goes around to make sure the vegetarians and vegans are all "doing it right"... contrary to what the "bacon trolls" who constantly flip out at everyone on all the vegetarian/vegan threads seem to believe. :)

Thank you for saying this so that I didn't have to! VEGANS= no animal or fish products whatsoever. VEGETARIAN= nothing the animal had to die for (eggs, milk and honey don't count). PESCETARIANS= Vegetarians who also eat fish.