WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Today has been a good day so far took Bella for a good walk she enjoys it and helps make it easier living with her. Also helps me too. :smile: Been cleaning the house like a crazy lady. Than did my Costco run. I always go in with a list and am pretty good at sticking to it but always a bit out of the wallet. Took some time while there to checkout blenders.

My job I work with young adults who have special needs. In the Fall as students go back to High School some of them do to too besides working with the day group I am the led for the afterschool group. Its been hard for some of them to get back into the swing of things. They went from a casual summer to being in school all day to me for another 3 1/2 hours. I try to makke it fun but there are guidelines getting all to follow was challenging. But by Friday notice a beginning to adjust. But as they are having issues I too am adjusting to my long days. I leave the house by 6:30 am work ends at 6:30 after I go pickup DH from his job we are home by 7:30/8pm. Trying to get organized again, making sure we are having healthy meals using my crockpot, not fast food.

September goals:
    keep logging in all the food I eat.
    walking 5 days a week going to the pool 3 x 's a week
    preparing a menu for the month and following it. Start putting together my freezer meals.
    Going to burrow learning one new healthy recipe
    also decluttering and being positive
    owning I can only control what food I put into my mouth and how much I exercise up to me (thats burrow from Barbie)
    Getting plenty of good rest.

That's long sorry about that.
    Liz
  • SaxLady135
    Options
    Hi, I'd like to join this group. I have joined a USMC Boot Camp locally and attend, 5 days/week. I'd like to join this group to help me stay motivated. I want to lose 50 lbs for my joints' sake.
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Megblair, I'm sending your recipe to my German husband.
  • Fabulocity
    Fabulocity Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My September goals are as follows:
    --Reduce calorie intake by 200 calories (1800 per day)
    --Make an appointment with the Doctor
    --Continue to exercise 5-6 times a week, including my new workouts with Amir
    --Remember to breathe when exercising
    --Buy one new piece of workout wear that shows my body more--I have a lot to be proud of!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovelies!

Rose, what challenge did you win?:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: I won the Biggest Loser Challenge at work. It started June 1st and ended August 31st. I lost 25.6 lbs and won $110.00:love:
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Rose - in my other post (the one that was lost) I remember giving you a big congrats on winning

Jan - congrats on the smoke free. That is truly the best thing you can do for yourself

Did 30 min of climbing on the AMT and then 30 min of HIIT on the elliptical. It seems that whenever I'm on the elliptical doing HIIT, the front of my feet begin to hurt. Don't know what that's all about. I used to be able to do at least an hour but now I can only do 1/2 hour. Maybe someone can ask their personal trainer for me???

Tomorrow...yoga. But first the farmer's market. Last week I got this cantaloupe from this one guy. Is it ever sweet! I hate to say it, but maybe I'll get another one and then "freeze" the chantalp=oupe chunks. Just what my freezer needs!

Well, going to post this mainly to mark my spot.

Hope everyone has a grand evening.

Michele
    :flowerforyou: Thank you Michelle
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone new! You'll love it here. Come back often . You become a member just by posting. Now this topic will be under "my topics" for you. Everyone has such wonderful goals. This is a great place for motivation and ideas

I'm hoping that this month I can use the pool often, even if it is just for an hour or so a day

Did an hour of yoga today. Tomorrow I'll do an hour of Wii training games.

cjpensley - that is so neat about your pants. Doesn't it feel good when you have to worry that they might fall off?

karin - how wonderful that you met your goals

gini - a bike ride to the farmer's market is so nice. My problem would be that I'd have just so many things to bring back that I couldn't carry it all on a bike!!!!

Aprilfoolgirl - Your job sounds very interesting...keeping one step ahead of the kids. I used to run a testing center in our high school and I couldn't believe the ways the kids came up with to cheat!

Fabulocity - I see that one of your goals is to remember to breathe while working out. I've found that if I count the reps, I can't help but breathe out. Try it. You will have to count out loud but you'll find that when you go "one" you can't help but exhale.

I didn't get a cantaloupe to freeze this week. Frozen cantaloupe never quite taste the same. Plus, I have strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cherries and bananas in my freezer as it is. But he did tell me that next week will probably be the last week for his cantaloupes, so I'll definitely get one then. Got some of his red okra and some beans from this lady (I forget which type of beans they are). They're just "OK". I don't know, last year her stuff was really good, this year I've been disappointed. Like I got her red okra, to me, it should have been picked sooner.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • future_rockstar
    future_rockstar Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies, newbie here from Canada. My main goals for September :
    - to keep logging my food/exercise and cheering on my friends
    - to lose 4 pounds
    - to walk/run 80 miles
    - to go to the gym at least three days a week
    - Terry Fox Run on September 16th
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I loved the back to school graphic so much that I used it to start the thread this month, but this isn't just a thread for teachers (or former teachers, or students, or parents of students, or former students, or educational support people)......it's a thread for women who are serious about getting fit and healthy and want to do it in the company of warm,friendly, supportive, and encouraging friends.

:flowerforyou: I am enjoying the company of my husband who is home for four days after a month of house sitting. I'm good at living alone but it's so much better when he's here. :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: :drinker: Rose, congratulations on your winning the contest and winning the battle of the pounds.

:bigsmile: if you are new to this thread, I hope you'll keep coming back.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,515 Member
    Options
    Good evening lovelies!

Off to a mixed start, SWSY and declutter time yes (YAY!), but under on fruits/veggies, over on beer/calories, really shoulda shampooed that carpet!

Big NSV, able to get into my new 14P bathing suit!

Judy, I need not just a wine buddy but a beer and bread buddy too!

Happy Birthday, Laura80111! How was Vegas?

Time to snooze, need to be up early to prep veggies + fruit for brunch guest tomorrow AND to make sure I get my 7 servings in.

Hugs,

animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, the AHMOD who WILL be size 10 one day

September I resolve to be good to myself:
    eat 7 servings fruits + veggies
    invest 20 minutes in SWSY or on the mat and 10 minutes decluttering
    moderate to 1 glass wine per night (Sat + Sun allow 2 beers/day)
    smile, don't yell!
    2012: dance more, bark less and CHECK IN!!!

SWSY or matminutes: 1=35
    steps: 1=7756
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ok what does NSV mean? I keep seeing it, but don't have a clue what it means.:huh: :huh: :huh:

Went to the gym today after I read the posts on my home page. I was motivated by reading PamelaHoneyHuggys post about her exercise for the day. That was enough to get me off to the gym! :drinker: :drinker:

Still thinking about Sept goals,,, I need to think about a realistic goal about going to the gym, ie: how many days/week. I will have my goals for today, as it is now almost 0100.
    That is my first goal to go to bed no later than 10pm!! :yawn: :yawn:

Ok, time to hit the sack, Until the am- sweet dreams to all of you! Here;s to a great September

Blessings, Linda:heart: .
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies

Warning - I'm going to have a little rant, but it's ok - I'll put a positive spin on it! :wink:

Last night we went out to a leaving meal for one of DH's friends. I like him and was happy to go even though I only knew one other person who was going and we really do not get on! It was in a Mexican restaurant and were in the basement of the restaurant which had really low ceilings - not good for acoustics - there was another party of young people there, very noisy and obviously having a great time - good for them!

Anyway, the restaurant was 'rustic' and we sat on wooden benches, first bad - my back was in agony, plus I was sat right in the middle so if I wanted to go to the loo I had to ask four people to move. Secondly, everyone else was drinking - no problem with that, but obviously it made them more relaxed. Thirdly, guess who was sat opposite me - yup, the one person that I really can't stand. Fortunately, the noise was such that I couldn't actually hear a word she was saying... or in fact anything that anybody was saying!

Fourthly, two people decided it would be a good idea to order mixed platters for everyone to share. No problem with that, despite the fact that I was the only vegetarian, and the only thing that they ordered that I could eat was cactus salad and guacamole. Now I wasn’t too bothered with that, except (and this I find totally disgusting!) people were using their forks to take helpings of food from the platters – after they had eaten off the same forks! Not only is that revolting, but they were using forks that they had used to eat meat.

All this and it cost us £100 per head. I think I had one spoonful of guacamole and about two spoonfuls of cactus salad – plus one glass of mineral water. Even DH had several drinks (and he isn’t much of a drinker!)

So that was my evening – we then had to catch the tube home and then walk from the station (about 20 minutes) after midnight.

Now, for the positive spin – I ate far less than I had allowed for, plus got some extra exercise and woke up this morning with no feeling of guilt. Not only that, but DH is grateful for me going along.

Today is a new day and I am completely over yesterday.

I am now off to my gym to work up a sweat so I will be back to see you all later.

Have a good day my lovelies.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Welcome to all the newbies:flowerforyou: , come in often and chat with us!!!

Michele:smile: I still haven't been able to find red okra, maybe I'm just missing it at the farmers market. I think I will ask next time I go. How do you cook it, or do you eat it raw? I am no cook, and I need all the tips I can get!!!! Are you going to post pics of the pool? I know you're enjoying every minute of it!!!!

Barbie:smile: I know your glad hubby is home, even if it's only for a few days. What a wonderful man to help friends out like that.

Meg:smile: still trying to come up with a cheer for you and Ginny, my brain is just not cooperating with me at the moment, or maybe it's just been too long:laugh: .

Amanda:smile: glad your evening turned out not all bad!!!! I feel for you having to sit across from someone you don't like, at least the music was loud and you didn't have to listen to her. And yes, people picking food off of a platter with forks they have eaten with is disgusting, where have people's manners gone:noway: !!!!

Linda SundanceB :smile: NSV, non scale victory. Like being able to fit in smaller clothes, or being tempted yet resisting, etc. etc. It's good you're taking time to think about what you want your goals to be, one thing Barbie said that really hit home with me is you can't really project what the number of pounds lost will be, that made me rethink my goals, I was so worried I wasn't going to reach my goal of 5 lbs for Aug., I have decided to just celebrate whatever that number may be.

Today is my day with friends at Starbuck, I get to be the Queen and I like it. We're celebrating a birthday today, however these guys never bring anything so I don't have to worry about eating there. It is a little gray and rainy and warm and humid, ICK. Not a good hair day:noway: , mine tends to go flat in the humidity, it might be a ponytail day.
    I am feeling much better these days, those antibiotics have really made a difference, I still sound horrible and I'm still coughing, I am so ready for that to go away, I do get tired in the afternoons and lately I've been taking a nap, the only problem with that is I want to stay up later at night, last night it was around midnight before I was in bed. Barbara:smile: , I think it was you that said it took you about 5 weeks to get over it:sad: , I really don't have time for that:noway: , but I guess with pneumonia I don't have much of a choice:ohwell: . It will be what it will be, and I just have to accept it!!!!

Ladies, I hope each and every one of you have a fabulous Sunday:flowerforyou: . Enjoy all the blessings in your life!!!!
    Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: , and log your food!!!!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!!

I finally made it to the gym after being on no exercise status for 2 weeks. I did a full circuit routine at higher weights (except for bicep curls and chest presses) and 30 on the treadmill. I had a great conversation with the trainer about how to work in my gym time with school and I'm pleased with what we worked out.

I weighed in this morning even thought tomorrow is my official weigh in day but I haven't done it in 2 weeks and . . I'm down 1.7 pounds !! Woohoo!!

I'm feeling so positive about myself and everything and I am finally in the 160's again. I'll take it at 169.3. hehehehe I haven't seen this kind of number in 15 months or so.

I think I've found my groove when it comes to eating right and moving right.

Everyone is doing so well with attitude and successes. We rock as a group of ladies who support and encourage each other. Thanks everyone for being here!!

Jan, happily smoke free for 6 weeks now. :flowerforyou: :tongue:
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,146 Member
    Options
    Hoping to get back home by mid-week. Quick stop to mark my place for September.

No time to read right now. Hope everyone is doing well.

Lin
  • ferb03
    Options
    Not a teacher but definitely a woman and I surely have gone to school . . . more than once. I would love to commit to this venture.
    After skimming through the previous posts I see there is a lot motivation and support. and got some great ideas on goal setting.
    For September I commit to ride 300 miles and focus on working my obliques to redefine my waist.:blushing:

Ferb03
  • lorarock
    Options
    Good morning all!
    Kind of lost my way during the week and began stuffing because of the stress at work.
    Goals for this week:

1. record everything I eat portion control.
    2. 30 min. of some ex, daily--GET OFF THE COUCH!
    3. QUIT STUFFING JUNK FOOD in the car.
    4. weigh/measure self 1x a week.
  • embjojo
    embjojo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My goals for September

1 Lose 1lb per week
    2 Drink 8 glasses of water per day
    3 Try to maintain the increased exercise I have started
    4 Enroll in a yoga class
    5 Stay within 1200 net calories per day
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I didn't know you guys were out there. This is my kind of group so here I am. I never taught but a did go to school. Lots and lots of school. I like the idea of writing down my goals. My goals for September:

1 Lose one pound a week
    2 Walk at least 10000 steps 6 days a week
    3 figure out how to stay on program while traveling.
  • roxies60
    Options
    Hi everyone, i would love 2 join this group i have just started MFP: my gpals 4 september r 2 lose @ least 1lb a wk