WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    happy dance scale budge 1lb....today
    :flowerforyou: Congratulations! Way to go!
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies!!!

My plan for the day was to be lazy and read a book or work on school stuff for Tuesday. Instead, I took an extra long walk and clocked in 2.3 miles! then I took a good long look at my bedroom and spent 3 hours on and off cleaning, organizing and re-arranging the furniture! LOL Some extra calorie burning going on there I tell you!

So now I'm going to enjoy Strangers on a Train and a glass of wine and smile my way to bed tonight in my nice clean better laid out room.

Enjoy the evening ladies!!

Jan
  • walker54
    walker54 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hello again my virtual friends,

When I got back from summer vacation in August I couldn't access the thread because there were so many posts, so I have missed chatting with all of you! Good vacation -- maintained my weight even with a few dinners out, and some frozen yogurt treats, so YAY for me. Wore a tankini for the first time, and even though I still have many pounds to go I felt happy in my own skin instead of wanting to hide under the beach umbrella. That's a good thing.

Lost 10 lbs since beginning of July, and I'm very proud of my progress. Still thinking about September goals. I want them to be achievable.

It's back to school for me, and I'm moving up to middle school from elementary. I'm finding middle school teachers are not as friendly and welcoming as elementary teachers. Last week my co-teacher and I set up our room in between all the meetings and training sessions, and it was a stressful week. She's much younger, and VERY reserved. We will be teaching 2 double blocks and one single block together this year, so this relationship MUST work or the year will be awful. Everyone has high praise for her, so I am trying not to take personally her less-than-warm reception. Wish me luck.

Will post later with September goals. So happy to be back among friends who understand. :smooched:

Polly
  • walker54
    walker54 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Okay, back with my goals for September.

1. Log food and exercise every day
    2. Eat healthfully every day
    3. Exercise 4 times/week
    4. Drink at least 6 glasses of water/day
    5. Vitamins at least 5 times a week
    6. Visit thread 4 times/week

Drinking the water is still the hardest one for me.

Polly
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone new. You'll love this site

Barbara -- woohoo on getting into that bathing suit! That's just wonderful! In a bathing suit I can never get into the petite sizes. Usually for all the other clothes, I need petites. Oh, I can get by with a regular size in shorts, I just need to go a size smaller usually. But I definitely need petite slacks.

Linda - NSV = non scale victory. Like getting into Barb's bathingsuit.

Did an hour of training games on the Wii today. Tomorrow I'll do some yoga at home and then I'm going to see if they are going to have the extremepump class. They had class on Memorial Day (that seemed like yesterday), and I talked to the lady who teaches a water aerobics class on Monday and she hadn't heard anything about classes being cancelled.

Amanda - that dinner sounds like it really was the pits. It's good that you were able to put a good spin on it, tho. I'm assuming that a leaving dinner is one where the person is leaving the job.

DeeDee - I just eat the okra raw. It's (red okra) not real common, probably because the perception is that okra is green. I would ask one of the farmers. I believe it's a special seed that they have to order. Let me know if your farmer doesn't know where to get the seed and I'll see if I can find out for him. And, yes, I'll post a pic of the pool but not until it's done. Really, it should look pretty nice when it's all done. I have a pic of me in the pool (no spa, decking, or waterslide yet). Not even sure how to post it. Can someone help me? Oh, you can believe that I'm enjoying every minute of the pool. We don't have a clock by the pool so I take my timer down with me. I know that Vince gets worried that I will lay out in the sun too much (which I probably would do).

Went to WalMart just to get a few things. They sometimes have samples at the bakery and I didn't even look to see if they did! For a while there I'd take a sample, then I didn't care to have any, then I would really want it, now (thank goodness) I seem to be back to not caring. I was very surprised to see that they sell rice vinegar. I had to buy it for something else and wasn't sure if I'd like it, but I really do

I did make some of these Easy S'more Treats for the guys. This was something new since the recipe called for a candy thermometer and I don't have one. But it did say that another way to know if it's done is to put a small amount of the mixture into very cold water and it should form a soft ball. Hope I got it hard enough. It's in the refrig right now hardening. I'll cut it up right before I give it to the guys. Also, did a load of laundry and when Jessica called I was putting it away.

Jan - that's wonderful about your weight and keep up with the smoke free. Boy, to be losing AND not smoking -- that's really something to be proud of.

I think that one of my Sept goals will be to go in the pool, even for an hour, whenever I can (like if the guys aren't working or if the water temp is ok, there isn't any problem with the chemicals). Sounds like a good goal to me....:)

mommie - happy belated aniversary!

Karin - you'll find this thread under you "My Topics". Just click on that and you can get here.

robin - I used to love retail therapy, but my latest therapy is just lying around in the pool. Can't wait until it's done. Really wish I could find a webbed lounge chair for in the pool. Basically, I don't want a solid piece of plastic/whatever, I want part of my body to be in the water, too. It would be so relaxing. Right now I have a body board that I'm using, but I'm hoping that the next time we go to FL I will be able to find one in a pool supply store there.

Eileen - have fun at the affair. Have just a taste of food. But you will probably get some exercise in walking around.

Rose - I don't remember hearing about Laurel, DE. Where in DE is it?

I was reading in "Prevention" magazine about using bands in the water. They suggested Spri. I wonder if you need special bands or just the regular ones? I have a few that I really don't use (too light) that I might use in the pool. If they get rouined, I'm not going to worry.

Polly - wonderful vacation. Where did you go?

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, Sept 2 and already 5 pages! :noway: Amazing what happens when you're away for a couple of days. Isn't this fun! :bigsmile:

Just returned from camping neat Mt. Adams in WA, our annual huckleberry picking trip. It was beeeauteeful! We did good, picked for about 5 hours and came home with over 2 gallons. :love: The berries are nice and ripe this time of year! I ate my share, believe me. :tongue: Delish!

Ate and drank a bit too much while camping :blushing: but I had a vision of myself getting into shape while taking a rest in the tent yesterday. You know, running, aerobics, yoga, all of those things I used to do so much of. :ohwell: Soooo, my Sept goals are to hit it hard and be good to myself! I'm close to my goal but I'm not out of the woods yet.

Nice to be home, nice to read what you've all been up to, and welcome to everyone new!

New pic is of my heeler, Rugby, posing for the camera on Friday when we arrived at the little alpine lake.

Have fun everyone, I'll check in soon.

:smile: jb
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Barbie, love the graphic, everything in September just feels like we SHOULD be back in school. My goodness – there are a lot of teachers/retired teachers here. How terrific! And nurses….

I learned last night that going to an Italian restaurant for dinner is definitely a challenge. I ended up with Caesar salad ½ and no garlic bread and about 2/3 of my dinner of spinach and ricotta ravioli with cream tomato sauce (ooooh that sauce did me in). So I’m making up for it today – I starting roofing my garden/storage shed, managed to rip all the old shingles off today. Good thing I’m not bothered by heights because I just kept thinking of that Elton John song about sitting on the roof and picking off the moss (in my case old nasty duroid shingles). However, I certainly put in my work today – I am so tired, but tomorrow is putting on the new tarpaper (nowadays called “felt”) and then hammering on all the new shingles. No wonder roofers charge so much!!

September goals:
    Ride my bike every day that is sunny (well at least not raining)
    Walk to work 2x per week minimum
    Get up to those 8 glasses of water a day
    Get rid of all my autumn clothing that is too big instead of hoarding it
    Continue to sew (and this is easy because I love it and have missed it)
    When I can’t ride my bike, do at least 15 minutes of jump rope
    Be kind to others and myself

I don’t have to add the logging daily and checking in because I absolutely love checking in with all you ladies.

DeeDee – I thought you sounded like you were back in the pink again but then I read your next post, yes it takes forever to get over pneumonia. But be patient because if you don’t heal properly, you will be susceptible to it in future. I like your idea of fish 2x a week and I think pre-logging my food really works for me. It’s sort of like planning in advance so you don’t have to wing it.

Pam020 – I’m with you – I want to be in shape for when the grandbabies come (and I believe that if I think positive it WILL happen).

YAY Jan – you are officially a non-smoker and so cool that you made all your August goals. I love September too, my favourite month (and my birthday but I’ve quit having those now).

Cjpensley – your story cracked me up – so glad you didn’t moon the funeral.

Meg – thank you for your take on Barbie’s comment about how you can’t control the amount you lose – it will not add a specific amount to my goals from now on, just ensure that I am being conscientious and eating healthy – my body will react in its own good time. Your borscht recipe is very much like my MIL’s (Mennonite) but she also added cubed potatoes. Love it.
    Gini – stay away from red sequin shoes is my advice – lol.

Kathy – not going to make the de-cluttering one of my goals, but I am going to free up a couple of those bathroom vanity drawers that just keep expanding with all sorts of unnecessary stuff.

Fabulocity – rock that new workout wear!!

Future Rockstar – yay Canada – I’m Canadian too. There’s a few of us on here.

Amanda – oh gross – the thought of the double dipping makes me gag. However, I am absolutely amazed at your refusal to allow the whole event to upset you! Good on you.

What the heck is red okra. I have had regular slimy frozen okra (not a northern NA thing) and don’t know anyone who grows okra locally, but I wonder what the difference is.

Wow, this is an enormously long post – that’s because I was out yesterday and missed the posting and you all are so busy and active that it took me this long to catch up. Good thing it’s a long weekend….

Good night ladies, sleep tight and pleasant dreams. Can’t wait to see what you are all up to tomorrow,

Lila
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My goals for September

1- put myself first around this house
    2-be in bed before 11:00 pm EVERY night
    3- go to the gym 5-6 days/week- no excuses
    4-live everyday to it's fullest
    5-lose 4 or more lbs this month

Ok, so no time to write, I did read everyone's posts. If I want to be in bed before 11:00, then I have got to go get after teenagers who have not done their chores yet,:sad: :sad: :sad: :explode: :explode: :grumble: :grumble:

help with homework, they need help with.:glasses: :glasses:

Every thing else can wait until manana!:laugh: :laugh:
    Have a great Labor day!
    Hugs, Linda
  • Alicia7519
    Options
    Hi everybody!

I re-joined (logged in to) MyFitnessPal yesterday. I am a professor and for me, school started last week, so it's back to a hectic schedule, but I am going to do my best to focus on eating healthier and shedding some weight. I am not going on a diet, but I plan on making changes to my eating habits gradually. It might take some time for me to lose weight, but I won't feel overwhelmed by dieting and trying to keep track of everything I do.

Goals for September:
    keep a food journal (for my health coach to read) and log my food intake here.
    drink eight glasses of water of more
    bring my lunch and snacks to work. Adios fast food, cafeteria food, and food court.
    go to bed by 11:00 p.m. (I lose track of time and before I know it, it's 1:00 a.m.
    walk as much as I can
    look at exercise as playtime
    eat more veggies and fruit
    quit worrying about things that are out of my control

Have a great Labor Day!
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    4dogmom= do you know you can print out your food log from mfp? May save you time. Great goals!
    Deb A
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Barbie:smile: those balloons are beautiful!!!!!

Michele:smile: thanks for the info on the red okra, when I'm at the farmers market next time I'm going to ask. Remember to wear some sunscreen while you're at the pool. I used to be a sun goddess and ended up with skin cancer on my chest a couple of years ago, I put SPF 50 on every day now, and have to get checked once a year, so far so good. I also have to take a prescription Vitamin D now:ohwell: .

Linda SundanceB :smile: I like your goals, especially living each day to the fullest!!!!

Lila:smile: roofing:noway: , I am so impressed. I don't like heights at all, in fact I don't even like going upstairs and looking over the landing. When we were building this house I remember having to walk across it without the railings on the sides, I had to look down at the floor the entire time, have someone in front and behind me, I just knew if I looked to the side I would have fallen off, oh it just gives me chills even thinking about it. I like your goal to get rid of the too big autumn clothing, I think I will do the same!

Jb:smile: sounds like your trip was wonderful! I like the new pic of your Rugby, my little Noel doesn't really like her picture taken, ever once in awhile I can get her to smile for the camera.

4Dogmom:smile: I like your goals for Sept. especially not worrying about things that are out of our control!

Welcome to all the newbies:flowerforyou: , come in often and chat with us. This is the best group of women!!!!

I had a nice time with the guys yesterday at Starbucks, very low key birthday bash, it's amazing I remember all their birthdays yet not one of them remember mine:ohwell: , they are men, and well I like continuing to be the same young age year after year, I've known these guys some of them for over 14 years:laugh: . My plans for today are low key, I might meet one friend for coffee later on. I plan on getting some things done in the house today, laundry, vacuuming, all the stuff I've let go because I just hadn't felt good enough to do. I swear I have little trolls that come out after I've gone to bed and mess up my house, I get up in the mornings and seem to have more "stuff" than what was there before:huh: .

I hope all you wonderful ladies have a great day!!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: , and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies!!

I was so worn out yesterday that I slept HARD and was awake at 5 am. Which is fine because I have the day off. LOL I'm looking forward to a great day of reclaiming rooms in my house from the invasion of the 20 somethings. :grumble: I've got 2 of my own plus assorted friends of theirs here on a near constant basis. I'm done having a revolving door and I'm taking back charge of my home. :tongue: The things you can do when you lose a little weight hehehehehe

Right now I'm going to head to the gym and get in a good workout. Then it's operation house repo :laugh:

Tata for now ladies!!

Jan
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I envy those of you who can actively workout. I have major feet problems and any amount of time I spend on them makes me suffer. But I do spend tons of time on them. My fitbit says I walk about 13,000 steps a day - and that is without trying. But the treadmill was always my easiest way to lose weight and now if I do more than a mile my feet pay for it. Surgery on my feet would require being in doouble casts and a wheelchair for about 6 months. That is not an option with my lifestyle.

My scale disappointed me this morning. I was supposed to weigh in on Friday but didn't have a scale where I was. So I thought with the extra three days I would see a greater loss - it was only .6 - which puts me at 8 pounds in 6 weeks, which I guess is great, but like many of us, it just feels so slowwwww!!

On a plus side I am going to ride my horse today. Somehow, rididng horses seems to burn more calories than anything elses I do, and it doesn't hurt my feet!
  • s50s
    s50s Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Love this site
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Happy Labor Day! We all work hard, so we deserve a day just for us! I’m checking in early because DH has plans for us!
    We had a great time with our friends last night. They just got back from a Russian river cruise that went from Moscow to St. Petersburg. We didn’t get to St. Petersburg so enjoyed hearing about it. I sent them with a shopping list which they complied with LOL. The best thing they brought back was chocolates…Russian chocolate is the finest in the world. I promise to dole it out carefully an ounce at a time! I can read the nutrition information so I know exactly what I am eating.

So I have to tell you a funny story. Right before our friends came, DH took a pain pill. Boy did he get loopy! We were playing cards and at one time, he had divided his hand and was holding it in 2 rows in one hand. I said “What’cha got there? A hand and an alternative hand?” DH looks very confused then said “OMG I thought I was seeing double!” We nearly died.

Jaks: good going on the scale!

Robin: I bet the dogs will be happy when you finish that doghouse!

Denny505: welcome and come back often

Eileen: good plan for the picnic. Some days will be like that!

Barbiecat: cool pic!

Wfa, Menletti, Bassgirl, 1234exercise, 4dogmom: welcome and come back often so we can get to know you. Bassgirl there are a couple of us nurses here

Glenda: you are so right about September. I am a nurse, but teach nursing in a small private college so I can understand
    what you said!

Laurelfisher AKA Rose: I love the explanation of your name! I always wonder why people choose the ones they do!
    Jan: sounds like a wonderful day!

Polly: welcome back. Glad you had a great vacation. You know I noticed when my youngest kid went from grade school to middle school that I found the teachers the same way as you described. I thought that was kind of weird! Glad someone else noticed it.

Michele: the soft and hard ball way of telling candy temperature usually works, but takes some time to get used to.

Jb: welcome back. You trip sounds fantastic. Everyone here does such cool things. I’m going to have to come up with something. I mostly work LOL

Lila: sometimes I put potatoes in cubes, but the kids like the tiny slices, so that’s how I usually do it. Those Italian restaurants are hard….I usually reserve them for my 2 free days a month

Linda: you GO girl. You deserve to be first around your house! We nurses are terrible about taking care of our own needs.

DeeDee: glad you are feeling well enough to go out and enjoy your coffee.

Jen: I bet you’ll burn a ton of cals reclaiming your house. Is that on the exercise tracker LOL?

Wessecg: any loss is a good one! Congrats!

Well I’m heading out for the day, so everyone enjoy their holiday and stay strong!!! Take care, Meg
  • carojrrn
    carojrrn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Happy Labor Day!

For all those working today may you not be swamped. For all those with the day off, may you spend it enjoying yourself, family and friends!

Labor day working in Labor and Delivery was usually a very busy day. Women thought it was the appropriate day to have a baby I guess. It also is about nine months from New Year's and the holidays.... You get the picture! Sure miss those fun days working in the hospital but so blessed not to work shifts, weekends and holidays.....

Sounds like a lot of us had some sort of picnic to attend with food being a challenge. Love how we handled the situations and had no feelings of guilt for being real....

I actually was able to ride my bike two days in a row because the rain missed us. Gotta love the weather man! Today I am going to do some light strength training later on and maybe a short walk. Bought some fresh green beans from the Amish farmer and will steam them later. Southwestern Macaroni and cheese for dinner with ground turkey(not spoiled this time-LOL). It is a weight watcher recipe. Anyone interested there is a great website Skinnytaste with all meals portioned and nutrients and points calculated. Check it out!

Sorry for not individualizing posts.... I read them all; know I am with you on your journey....

Take care,
    Carolyn
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies,

Its weigh –in day and I am happy to report another 2 pounds gone. I had my salmon last night (so tasty) which I know helped but perhaps that cup of mochaccino with whipped cream in the afternoon was counterproductive, lol. I am so close to that 200 pound brick wall that has been such a psychological barrier. I want to smash through it before my doctor’s appointment in 3 weeks or at least be sitting on top of it smashing it down a brick at a time.

Glendalight – I had a hip replacement when I was 55, it was taking a long time to recover until I found my own physical therapist and kept up a daily regimen of exercises which are so important. I wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery and hope you are soon up dancing.

Barbi – love those balloons you posted! I would love to attend a hot-air balloon festival someday; it’s on my bucket list, along with a balloon ride.

Eileen – our prayers are always with the young fighting men of both our countries. We have friends whose sons are over there too.

Polly – It is to be hoped the less-than -warm reception from the young teacher is just her personal reservations because she is still feeling her way in her new profession. I am sure she will warm up with your guidance. Keep smiling!

Michelle – I envy you the pool! I would be in it every day if I had one but here you could swim maybe 3-4 months and skate on it the rest of the year!

Jan – ah yes, the revolving doors of our off-spring! I hate to admit it but I missed it while my son was away in college.

Wessecg- if riding horses is what takes off your weight, go for it! I walk about 2.5 kilometers a night (1.5 mile) and that is all I can manage as I have arthritis in my feet and sometimes even that is hard if I have been working during the day. I would like to increase it but only time will tell.

DeeDee – glad you are feeling better. I just learned a ‘cold-aid’ you can make to have on hand. I sliced 2 lemons real thin into a pint jar, added a slice of ginger and filled the jar up with honey. This apparently takes on the consistency of a gel and you just put a spoonful into a mug of hot water when you feel a sore throat coming on. I’m ready!

Oh, look at the time, must go get ready for work.

Have a wonderful Labour Day everyone!

Kate
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hello to all you wonderful Ladies :happy: and welcome to all of the new commers,:wink: I kinda feel like a new commer myself as I have not had time to post , but it is a new month and so looking forward to a new start. Walked into work and will do more when I get a brake. It is kind of quite here today and that is saying a lot since I work at a childrens hospital. Praying that it stays that way.
    hope you all are having a grand holliday! :bigsmile:
    Well better get back to work , will post my new goals soon:smile:
  • classilady
    Options
    I am pretty new to the site but I love the info I can find. I am almost 65 yrs of age and ready to retire. I need to loose close to 90 lbs. and I need some support cause it is very hard for me to stick to a diet plan. My Doctor says to eat 1200 to 1400 calories a day. I try and stay under 1400 but when I do I feel hungry. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • Alicia7519
    Options
    4dogmom= do you know you can print out your food log from mfp? May save you time. Great goals!
    Deb A

Thank you very much Deb!

Alicia