WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• LzL1958
    Options
    My goal for September is to gain strength in my legs to follow through with more exercise. I've had such trouble with a bad nerve in my left thigh that it's been impossible to stand long enought to walk for any length of time. I've been doing chair excercises, but it's not nearly enough.

My weight loss goals are slow but sure. Since WLS, I've been doing great, but about 4 weeks post-op, I stalled, big time. Part of the problem is the starvation mode syndrome. I've been changing things in my diet to work on that issue and I've lost a few more pounds in the last 2 weeks. The other part of the problem I know is because I have been limited with what type of excercises I can do with my spine and leg issues. But not all is lost. I'm still loosing and that's what really counts.

For the first time this week, I have reached a goal I never thought I would reach. I've passed, and am now under the 240 mark. YIPEE! I haven't seen my weight this low in almost 15 yrs.

Now that's something to celebrate! :smile:
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    I have been on HRT since 45 with a year off. Couldn't take the hot flashes after one year of being off and I am on Bio identical hormones now, doing great on them., they carry less risk. The price was expensive to get started. Monthly cost is only 15 dollars more than synthetic hormones. Iam one of the lucky women who gets hot flashes and full body sweats about every 20 mins. I am only 52 now. Plan on staying on them for a few years then see about tapering off again.
    The good thing about bio identical is they check everything including cortisol levels. I was all out of whack. Feeling sooooo much better now.
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    I have been on HRT since 45 with a year off. Couldn't take the hot flashes after one year of being off and I am on Bio identical hormones now, doing great on them., they carry less risk. The price was expensive to get started. Monthly cost is only 15 dollars more than synthetic hormones. Iam one of the lucky women who gets hot flashes and full body sweats about every 20 mins. I am only 52 now. Plan on staying on them for a few years then see about tapering off again.
    The good thing about bio identical is they check everything including cortisol levels. I was all out of whack. Feeling sooooo much better now.

Sorry I meant this to help Connie but I mess up the quote thingy.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    001.jpg50lbslost12-14-11.jpg
    Trying to get the right sizes, now they're too small.
    After pic was when I'd lost 50 lbs last Dec.
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    The pictures BOTH look good!

Today's my son's 16th birthday -- and, poor kid, the first day at a new school. He has attempted to change his birthday to May 12 entirely to avoid this problem. Unfortunately, I was there 16 years ago and know the truth. We had a quite vicious chocolate mousse birthday cake last night that may have blown my calories count for the entire month.
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Julie -(motherofbride) So sorry for the loss of your mother. I too am a stress/emotional eater but sometimes the stress is so much that even food does not comfort. With school start up and the loss of your mom, you are in a very stressful time - take care of yourself and try not to add food guilt to your load. And 19 pounds since August 8th!? that is incredible!!. So don't be too hard on yourself this week! Thoughts and prayers to you.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing good today.Pt this pm and been doing my home ex.
    Goals for Sept-continue with pt.Work on ex at home
    Stick to food plan.Stop eating because i`m stressed.
    Love to see all the new members.Love reading the post.Can`t post to all,sorry,too many.
    But it`s good to have a place to post and read and learn a thing or two or find a new way to exercise or a recipe.
    So grateful for Barbie for this group and keeping it going monthly.
    HUGS
    jane
  • JulieB_MN
    JulieB_MN Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thank you Dee Dee! :)
  • JulieB_MN
    JulieB_MN Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    glendalight and Kackie thank you:)
  • kaj44
    kaj44 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this site and I'm glad that I found this page............................

:heart: September Goals
    :heart: Exercise everyday!
    :heart: Keep track of all food & exercise
    :heart: Keep Positive about my weight loss journey!
    :heart: Check into this site once a day and stay M O T I V A T E D!!!
  • abbezen
    abbezen Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I would love to be a part of this group!

Goals for September are:

Drink 32 oz of water daily
    lose 5 lbs

Kimberly
  • Ruthiexlch1997
    Options
    While we were out for the summer I was walking for at least an hour and getting in at least 4 mile every day a week but one and that was just my day off. Since we have gone back to school my mornings are busy and by evening I am trying to get dinner, laundry all that normal stuff we all do. And my weight loss has decreased from about 5 lbs a week to 1,2,3 a week. I have and elliptical and try to do that but just not the same. I also work a second job Mon, Tues, and Wed night from 9p to 5:30a so those mornings are out, by the time I get home and get ready for school and if I am driving a bus I have no time. And those nights I am just tired and just want to set down... Then I look at the elliptiacl and guilt comes over me and I do it for awhile but it is not like my walks, that was my time of me and no one else. Any suggestions? I am thinking about walking during lunch and taking a sports bar to eat while I walk but after being in special services sometimes I just need Adult contact..:flowerforyou:
  • ginib
    ginib Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Afternoon Ladies!

Busy day yesterday in the kitchen. Froze a batch of fresh pesto, a double batch of mole sauce and canned 4 pints of salsa. Doesn't sound like much, but it took the whole afternoon. Planned on a bike ride, but never made it. Will try tonight, but it's raining now, so it may be on the exercise bike instead.

Last night was the church quilter's group. We don't usually meet on holidays, but one of the ladies really wanted to, so I made the arrangements. Then she texted at 6:30 and said she wasn't going to make it. LOL. We still had fun. My mom, who had told me twice she would be there, didn't show so I called her. Her response was, it never occurred to me we would meet on the holiday. Sadly, her memory is gone. One of her carotid arteries is 85% blocked and they were finding out surgery options today. Dad made her get her memory tested again recently and is sure they are going to call it Alzheimer's at this point. She'll be going with me on a quilting weekend on Friday and I just have to make sure I have my "patience hat" on.

Quilt camp is challenging as far as food goes. The staff prepares our meals and while they are perfectly edible, they are not usually what I would choose. I can always find enough to eat and we bring plenty of snacks, another downfall. I always bring something to keep me out of major trouble, but there is plenty of temptation. Camp is at a beautiful lake in rural Ohio and I have to make sure I take the time away from my quilting to take a couple of nice long walks. That will also get me away from any stress dealing with Mom.

jb_2011 - great pic. The additional 18lbs you've lost should show as well. Time for another update!
    julie - sorry to hear about your mother. Even with the issues with my mom now, I will miss her when she;s no long with us.

Welcome to all the newcomers! So many great goals have been posted. It's so nice to see that people seem to be very realistic in their expectations. So often we set ourselves up with lofty goals we can never attain. Best of luck to all of us. Let our hard work show through!!

Meg - I bought the basket for the bike, Sasha - oh the red slippers sound like so much fun though!

Gini
  • nanasgt
    Options
    Hi! My name is Sue and I just found this topic and would like to join.
    I reached my goal for August, proved to myself that I could do it :happy:
    I read thru the commets and loved the goals that others have posted. One that really struck me was Letting go of resentment. This has been a challenge for me but I think that September is a good month to really work on it :smile:
    I did my 3rd 5K in August and I think I would like to attempt to do a 10K, there is one in November that gives me time to prepare! I am a fast walker not a runner. Never thought I would be able to do one 5K let alone 3!
  • Youngfleur
    Youngfleur Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well everyone,, I am happy to say I am down 2 more pounds. I am so looking forward to our trip this winter away from the snow and cold. :drinker: :smile:
  • slowspud
    Options
    Really sorry I do not have time to go through all posts as I have not been on for three days! Sadly, I have hit a really bad few days. I had a lot of meals out over last 3 weeks but managed to keep weight coming of (very small amounts i.e 0.04lb but still a loss). However, the last 3 days I have just had the urge to eat everything in sight! Tonight is my last so I am going to have a supper then get back on track. I refuse to put the weight back on as I have not been this size since my 30's! and I still have a long way to go. If I stand on scales at weekend and I have stayed stable I will pass out lol. I am hoping for it to be no more than 3lb gain though. Fingers crossed. :smile:
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies. Hope you are having a great Tuesday so far. We had an all day meeting today where they fed us; I brought my own lunch. Although I do have to say, their menu wasn’t too unhealthy. Mostly deli sandwiches, lite chips, lots of fruit, and they did have cookies. But I was a good girl and brought my own. :smile:

Well I’m sad to admit it, but DH and I need to work on taxes tonight LOL. We always have our accountant file an extension for us. I am not sure why, but ever since the kids came, we just can’t seem to get them done on time. But he does want them by the middle of the month, so I guess we better get busy!

Carolyn: all the summer holidays were busy in the emergency department, but the worst was Memorial Day because it was usually the first really nice day so everyone drug out their boats, motorcycles, skateboards, etc. Then they came to see us. :noway:

Kate; my fingers will be crossed until I read what your scale read!

4dogmom: tell us about your dogs! We have 3 cats and one weird Beagle. We got him from the rescue last summer. They thought he was about 7 at the time, hard to tell because he doesn’t have many teeth to look at. He is the sweetest most docile dog I have ever seen. He even lets the old cat (who is 18) beat him up without protest. :bigsmile:

Barbara: I’m sorry your sorting and purging was so sad for you. :flowerforyou:

Polly: no fears, that weight will come right back off. Most likely it was water. I write mostly test banks to accompany nursing text books. I’ve written some book chapters and in October will be starting as a section editor on a huge nursing textbook, which will be a great honor and challenge.

Glenda: great NSV! I can’t refuse good breakfast food! :tongue:

Liz: someone suggested to me that I should write my post on word, then copy and paste here. I used to lose posts frequently and it hasn’t been a problem since I started doing that.

Jen: I will keep my fingers crossed that you hear from DS soon!

DeeDee: your dinner sounds marvelous; I’ll be right there. :drinker:

Kathy: DH tried several shoes this morning then finally picked a pair. He set his boot out to take to work in case the shoes got too bad, and walked off and left it at home. So I hope his foot is ok! Hope yours is too. I can see the frustration on his face all the time and his surgery was not nearly as much as your was! Take care! :flowerforyou:

Lila: I bet you are hungry; roofing is quite the chore!

Wessecg: I cheat!!!!! I open a word doc and the thread and read each post then reply!!! :laugh:

Barbie: I am with you; feeling trapped makes me want to eat to.

Ellen: good job on your loss!

Jb: Great photos! You can really see a difference! :flowerforyou: Julie: so sorry about the loss of your mother. Mothers can’t be replaced, can they?

Ruthie: wow you are so busy! You are doing a great thing by looking at the schedule and trying to figure out how to work the exercise in! I don’t have any good advice for you other than to say it needs to work into your life or you won’t stick with it.

Gini: you are definitely right about that patience hat. Mine has lots of holes in it.

All the newbies: welcome and continue to come back soon.

I know I have missed lots; I was writing this on different breaks during our meeting marathon. I read everyone’s post. Take care, Meg

Goals for September (I can’t copy them because they are at home)
    1900 calories; 90 ounces of water
    Exercise 3 times a week
    Find some joy and beauty every day.
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday!

I finally went to the pool again and not only walked for 30 min., I was even able to do a little jogging!:happy: I'm nowhere near ready to jump back into water areobics yet but it's a start. Now that I'm starting to get more active again my knee is hurting more but trying to just tough it out and not overdo things. Stocked up on lots of fresh veggies at the store and trying a new recipe tonight.

Michelle - The Birkenstocks are the only things I can wear but the strap cuts across the tendon that was operated on so they're not very comfortable either.

Julie - I'm very sorry for your loss!! Keeping you and your family in my prayers! I remember how tough it was for me when I lost my mom!

DeeDee - Thanks for the encouragement-it was fun to get back in the pool!

Meg - I hope your DH shoes worked out for him ok! Went ot Walmart this weekend with DH and wore a pair of slip on shoes that had always been a little big so I thought they'd be ok. He told me to take other ones to change into but no I didn't bother and halfway throught the trip he had to go get me a scooter cart because my feet were so sore! Needless to say I heard "Told you so".

Congrats to all who posted weight losses- I managed to lose 1 lb. in the past week, even with not eating the greatest.

Have a good evening!

Kathy :drinker:
  • ndbirdmomDiane
    Options
    Wow! This is a really active group with lots of good information. I am so glad I found this forum. Just wanted to report on my Tuesday weigh-in. No weight lost :ohwell: Have to concentrate on getting those 11,000 steps in every day. Am also looking at my diet to see if I can tighten it up a little more. Hope everyone is having a good week. :flowerforyou:
    Diane
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The wedding was beautiful and my daughter looked amazing! :flowerforyou: I'm so happy for them, and hope they have a wonderful life together.

My house looks less amazing, with boxes, gifts and wedding paraphernalia everywhere. I'm hoping that it will all go to her house soon...

I took five days off from my diet -- excuse me, I meant I took five days off from recording my lifestyle change, but have started back today. I've decided not to look at the scale for a week, to give me a chance to equalize and lose any water weight, etc. We're going up to Vail soon, so I should get a lot of walking in there. I'm definitely ready for fall!

I hope everyone has been doing well. :smile: I haven't had time to catch up on the posts, so will begin again now.