Need advice on avoiding a sugary breakfast.

Options
For the past few days I have noticed that as soon as I log my breakfast I go over my sugar intake goal. I eat wholemeal fruit and fibre cereal with unsweetened natural yoghurt and I never add sugar to my food. It seems like even the 'healthy cereal' contains a lot of sugar :(
Does anybody know of any cereal that isn't going to tip me over my sugar goal before it's even 12pm?
Or alternatively can anybody give me ideas of what I could get into a habit of eating every/most mornings instead of cereal?
I'm good with calories but I don't wanna hinder my weight loss by always eating too much sugar.

Replies

• Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Get eggs or Egg Beaters, and your favorite string cheese and make yourself a yummy omelet. I have one most mornings.
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I have read on the forums that the sugar setting is very low on here. With that being said, as long as your sugar is coming from fruits and veggies and there is not a medical reason that you must keep your sugar extremely low, no biggie! :) I eat fruits and veggies all day long and if I were to track my sugar I'd be over by breakfast, too. I don't eat anything with refined sugar in it so I don't even track my sugar anymore.
  • ep3926
    Options
    Oatmeal. No sugar. Add stevia. With cinnamon.
  • ajlvr27
    ajlvr27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can try cold oatmeal which is 1/2 cup oats (old fashion) 1/2 cup milk and refridgerate over night. I used to add cut up strawberries/raspberries for flavor or even cinnamon. Only about 200 calories, low sugar and natural also delicious!

Also Krave Cereal is not very high in sugar or calories.
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I do toast with peanut butter on it a lot, I usually have 2 slices. Or I do fruit smoothies, I'm not sure if these will take you over your sugar intake or not but you could always play around with the different recipes to see what would fit best. Cereal is not the only breakfast option out there. Try a breakfast wrap with eggs and bacon in a tortilla wrap or something of that nature.
  • meredith2780
    Options
    What about oatmeal, fat free greek yogurt with fruit, whole grain toast with cheese spread, eggs, apples and peanut butter.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Eating too much sugar won't hinder weight loss unless you have a carb-sensitive medical condition (diabetes, PCOS, hypothyroidism, and the like). Also, MFP sets the sugar target way too low. So unless breakfast is throwing you off of your macro targets, I wouldn't worry about non-added sugar.

Of course, if your cereal IS sweetened, then I would find just a regular, whole grain cereal (a la wheatabix or cheerios) and slice in fresh fruit.
  • tequilasunris3
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your help! I will definitely be trying some of these.
    I'm usually quite inventive with my lunch and dinner but when I wake up hungry and breakfast time I don't give myself much chance to think about what I should eat :P
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have read on the forums that the sugar setting is very low on here. With that being said, as long as your sugar is coming from fruits and veggies and there is not a medical reason that you must keep your sugar extremely low, no biggie! :) I eat fruits and veggies all day long and if I were to track my sugar I'd be over by breakfast, too. I don't eat anything with refined sugar in it so I don't even track my sugar anymore.

I agree. Sugars are basically unavoidable, I'd worry more about where the sugars are coming from than the actual number it's self.
    It does make a big different.
  • juncture
    juncture Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat the same thing for breakfast every morning (changing what I have sometimes when I get bored of one thing), but at the moment I'm really enjoying having this for breakfast:

40g porridge made with 200ml milk (i vary what milk I have at the moment I'm having almond milk), and then mix in cinnamon and 3 squares of 85% dark chocolate and put sliced bananas on top :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    My favourite breakfasts are
    - omelette
    - porridge (oatmeal) with peanut butter and skim mill
    - weetbix with skim mill and strawberries
    - avocado on toast, which is even better with a poached egg on top
    - raisin toast with pb and banana

Some of these aren't super low in sugar, but if it's comong from milk and sugar, I'm not bothered by it.
  • mmsv
    mmsv Posts: 3
    Options
    nearly all of the crunchy cereal isn't healthy. Eat some eggs/yoghurt instead.
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I like to start my day making sure I've got lots of fruit/veg servings...I saute onion, garlic, red, yellow, orange bell peppers, a tomato, season with dill or with fresh basil, plop a whisked egg into it, add some feta cheese..if I have some zucchini or broccoli on hand I add that too. I find it very satisfying for taste, nutrition and plate appeal....since I've been having this for breakfast almost every day, I haven't found myself 'starving' later in the day.
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    and lots of mushrooms too! :)
  • bblich02
    Options
    For the past few days I have noticed that as soon as I log my breakfast I go over my sugar intake goal. I eat wholemeal fruit and fibre cereal with unsweetened natural yoghurt and I never add sugar to my food. It seems like even the 'healthy cereal' contains a lot of sugar :(
    Does anybody know of any cereal that isn't going to tip me over my sugar goal before it's even 12pm?
    Or alternatively can anybody give me ideas of what I could get into a habit of eating every/most mornings instead of cereal?
    I'm good with calories but I don't wanna hinder my weight loss by always eating too much sugar.

plain oatmeal w/ peanut butter, eggs, protein smoothies are three options. fruit is great for you, but how much are you eating? i usually have one serving of fruit a day
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I too was shocked to discover that a big bowl of all bran had nearly an ounce of sugar in it, so much for a healthy breakfast! I eat swiss style museli with no added sugar. It still has a couple of grams due to the raisins and in the milk, but it won't make much of an impact on your daily limit :-)
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    try leftovers! it's a nice way to vary your breakfasts and make sure you never have to throw food away.
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese with some berries add sweetener and cinnamon
  • LERadicalDreamer
    LERadicalDreamer Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There's way too much sugar in even "healthier" boxed cereals. I make overnight oatmeal, but since I don't like cold gruel, I microwave it in the morning. 2 minutes, and I have a great breakfast, and I can switch it up with different fruits, though I always add a few slices of banana.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast and just eat anything for lunch and dinner.
    But if I did I would have Eggs, meat, toast or a combination of the 3 into a fantastical sandwich with cheese.