Need advice on avoiding a sugary breakfast.

Options

Replies

• tequilasunris3
    Options

Is a slice of roast beef, a bun, and a can of Diet Coke (it will be a large glass of hot tea in the winter.)

Why not tea all the time? :)
  • tequilasunris3
    Options
    ignore MFP's sugar goal completely. don't even track it.

Can I ask why? surely it's there for a reason? or is it wrong :S
    I'm pretty new to MFP.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

I'm pretty new to MFP.

It's bizarrely low considering how high their carb percentage is by default (their default macros splits make me crazy overall, but I didn't want to get into that can of worms) and the fact that it doesn't differentiate between sugar types. If you are tracking your carb intake intelligently and trying to get a fair amount of fiber, then the sugar just can pretty much fall where it may. Eating at a deficit makes a lot of the macros splits a bit less critical.

That having been said, I'd recommend upping your protein substantially from what MFP sets by default. It will help protect muscle loss when eating a deficit and it the most satisfying of the macronutrients.
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options

Is a slice of roast beef, a bun, and a can of Diet Coke (it will be a large glass of hot tea in the winter.)

Because in the summer hot tea isn't at all good, and if I drink it iced I will drink vast quantities and start to have heart palpitations.

Actually, once I go on my ADHD meds again I'll go off the soda, but until then it works for me of a morning.
  • hitstuff
    hitstuff Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Nothing new here, but to echo some of the other posters, I love my eggs. I opt for the omega 3 variety (gotta love the omega 3 infusion when u can get it). I poach them and put them on the seediest grainiest slice of toast i can find and slice up a whole tomato on the side. Add a glass of water, and a cuppa joe, and voila...breakfast of champs! I usually aim for roughly 300 cals for most meals- and this fits nicely!!
  • Skip the cereal.
    Earlier today I was looking at bran cereals and was surprised that one bowl contained 9g sugar! Wth?!

I'd say go for porridge oats, oat bran, or have the cereal but watch your sugar intake for the rest of the day.
  • athenad121
    athenad121 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Egg/egg white & veggie omelets! I just had one egg and one egg white with onion, mushrooms, spinach and a half ounce of reduced fat feta cheese with half a 100 calorie whole grain/high fiber English muffin and a half cup of fresh pineapple...yummy and super filling. I find that having some protein with my sugar/carbs keeps me satisfied until lunch.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It isn't going to hamper your weight loss at all. Sugar is just a simple carb.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Because in the summer hot tea isn't at all good, and if I drink it iced I will drink vast quantities and start to have heart palpitations.

Actually, once I go on my ADHD meds again I'll go off the soda, but until then it works for me of a morning.

Have you ever tried green tea? We have started drinking it to avoid the caffeine overload. I love it.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I'm pretty new to MFP.

I quit tracking it a long time ago. I have much less stress now. Like I said above, sugar is just a simple carb, pure energy. So long as you expend the energy you take in, and provided there's no medical condition, then there is no reason to avoid sugar for weight loss. (And so long as you are getting plenty of fiber in the rest of your carbs, along with plenty of healthy fats and protein)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Start drinking a protein shake. Mix powder with yogurt and fruit and you have yourself a nutritious, healthy, filling breakfast that's quick and easy to make!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    stell rolled oats for oat meal with sopme fruit. The yogurt and the frit are loads of natural sugar.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

I'm pretty new to MFP.

I quit tracking it a long time ago. I have much less stress now. Like I said above, sugar is just a simple carb, pure energy. So long as you expend the energy you take in, and provided there's no medical condition, then there is no reason to avoid sugar for weight loss. (And so long as you are getting plenty of fiber in the rest of your carbs, along with plenty of healthy fats and protein)

There really isn't much need to have simple carbs, unless you're going to be doing some serious cardio for your workout. If that's the case, then you should eat them an hour or two before you start the workout, or they'll be gone by the time you start.

For the rest of the day, you should try to eat more complex carbs (fruit and veggies) than simple carbs (sugar and grains).

That being said, if you're eating a lot of fruit, your sugar will go up, but they contain complex sugars. It takes time for your body to break them down, unless breads and bleached sugar.
  • 21June
    Options
    I found the same when I was eating nutty museli, natural greek style yogurt with honey on. Now I eat two shredded wheat with 200ml of skimmed milk on most mornings. Hope this helps! :smile:
  • flightlessbirdie
    flightlessbirdie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    MFP measures natural sugar as well as refined sugar, so even if you're eating a seemingly healthy breakfast the unsweetened yogurt does contain sugar and the dried fruit will also have quite a large sugar dosage. I'm in this quandary too, so I for one of these options:

I either carry on with my usual breakfast of porridge with dates, unsweetened yogurt & apricots knowing I'll be nearly at my daily limit for sugar and then eat mostly savoury for the rest of the day, including no fruit but try and snack on crackers and cottage cheese or avocado or something thats quite nutritionally dense and filling.

Otherwise I'll go for a savoury breakfast like poached eggs so that I can have sweeter snacks throughout the day if I think I'm in one of those moods where I want to eat lots of sweet things!

Hope that makes sense, but really you've just to do whatever works for you so that you're enjoying your food choices I think. :)
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    For the past few days I have noticed that as soon as I log my breakfast I go over my sugar intake goal. I eat wholemeal fruit and fibre cereal with unsweetened natural yoghurt and I never add sugar to my food. It seems like even the 'healthy cereal' contains a lot of sugar :(
    Does anybody know of any cereal that isn't going to tip me over my sugar goal before it's even 12pm?
    Or alternatively can anybody give me ideas of what I could get into a habit of eating every/most mornings instead of cereal?
    I'm good with calories but I don't wanna hinder my weight loss by always eating too much sugar.

I used to love eggs, so i ate 2 eggs every morning with a slice of wholemal toast.

Now i love sandwiches, so i have a chicken, tomato, cucumber and mustard sandwich fir breakfast! Eat what you like, dont conform to traditional breakfast foods! AND i get 2 of my 5 a day and 25g of protein in! How awesome is that?!
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Some may think this bad, but most mornings I stop at Sonic and get their Jr. Breakfast Burrito but without the cheese. It is actually quite small and has a small amount of sausage and egg in it. My mornings are rushed and it is a good breakfast for me. I have actually gotten where I drive up to the drive thru now and when they say "Welcome to Sonic", I say "It's Annette" and they tell me to drive foreward as they know what I am getting, lol. I get that and a large ice water with lemon wedges and refill it throughout the day with more water.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    For the past few days I have noticed that as soon as I log my breakfast I go over my sugar intake goal. I eat wholemeal fruit and fibre cereal with unsweetened natural yoghurt and I never add sugar to my food. It seems like even the 'healthy cereal' contains a lot of sugar :(
    Does anybody know of any cereal that isn't going to tip me over my sugar goal before it's even 12pm?
    Or alternatively can anybody give me ideas of what I could get into a habit of eating every/most mornings instead of cereal?
    I'm good with calories but I don't wanna hinder my weight loss by always eating too much sugar.

First, IMO MFP's sugar goal is BS. I don't track sugar at all. It doesn't really mean anything.

However, if it is important to you, you could eat a more protein heavy breakfast like eggs, egg beaters, chicken, veggies, bacon, sausage, etc. If you want a "cereal" type breakfast, oatmeal (not instant) doesn't have much sugar in it. You could add nuts to it and some cinnamon.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

I'm pretty new to MFP.

There really isn't much need to have simple carbs, unless you're going to be doing some serious cardio for your workout. If that's the case, then you should eat them an hour or two before you start the workout, or they'll be gone by the time you start.

For the rest of the day, you should try to eat more complex carbs (fruit and veggies) than simple carbs (sugar and grains).

That being said, if you're eating a lot of fruit, your sugar will go up, but they contain complex sugars. It takes time for your body to break them down, unless breads and bleached sugar.

Simple carbs are found in fruits, veggies, milk, soda, etc. Complex carbs are found in legumes, starchy vegetables and grains.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Eating too much sugar won't hinder weight loss unless you have a carb-sensitive medical condition (diabetes, PCOS, hypothyroidism, and the like). Also, MFP sets the sugar target way too low. So unless breakfast is throwing you off of your macro targets, I wouldn't worry about non-added sugar.

Of course, if your cereal IS sweetened, then I would find just a regular, whole grain cereal (a la wheatabix or cheerios) and slice in fresh fruit.

What does this mean? I thought the macros were the nutrients that MFP breaks calories into? So sugar would be one of the macros? So then how could too much sugar not throw off your macro target? If I'm wrong, what is a macro target? And if MFP's sugar target is too low, what is a good amount of sugar for the day? I never add sugar and like the original poster just the raisins on my morning oatmeal made me go over the MFP sugar target, so I've cut down on fruit - that's probably not a good thing.

Thanks for your help.