Need advice on avoiding a sugary breakfast.

Options

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Steak and eggs
  • rladd6421
    Options
    my cereal of choice is kashi go lean toasted berry crunch and it only has 10g of sugar, but i also do 4 egg whites with peppers or onions, oatmeal, or a smoothie with fresh fruit oatmeal and protein powder.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 eggs, 3-4 slices of soy bacon ( regular bacon is too greasy for me)....then alternate greek yogurt and cottage cheese if I feel I need more. usually under 400 calories and 15g of carbs, decent amount of protein (today was 27g)
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Eat foods wihout sugar in them.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    For cereal I eat Fiber One 80, tastes great and I need lower carb http://www.fiberone.com/products/cereal/80-calories-cereal

I also do egg substitute & eggs (hard boiled, omelets) either in low carb tortilla as a breakfast burrito or plain if I want to cut cals/carb. Other choices are Carbmaster yogurt, or cottage cheese on 45 cal toast with tomato slices and some seasonings. I make overnite oats with fruit for something different. Lots of things to eat besides cereal for breakfast.
  • oklahomascott
    Options
    i eat instant oatmeal every morning...its bad for you or whatever but i don't care
  • Meg_DeLaCruz
    Meg_DeLaCruz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I stay way from cereal! My day starts with a smoothie ( high protien and fiber). And then I snack all day between meals. Never starving and works for me...
  • gabriellegabster
    Options
    You absolutely positively have to try these - you'll get hooked just like I did, along with all my friends. They taste as good as they look. Makes me drool just thinking of breakfast!

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
  • ldholcombe
    ldholcombe Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I make oatmeal about 4days a week. Mostly because of my daughter. I boil the water add the oatmeal, you can add tons of stuff to it. Even a small amount of brown sugar is okay. I sometimes add apple chunks, or blueberries. Also is very good with milk and cinnamon.

Another thing I like in the morning is one slice of toast, boiled egg, and an orange. (this morning I had no oranges)

Cereal has never made me feel like I am getting enough food. I feel hungry right after eating cereal. So I rarely eat it.

Good Luck On Finding a Good Breakfast.
  • boxkat
    Options
    Don't worry about sugar from fruits! That shouldn't stop you from eating them. Just try to avoid the added stuff. A lot of cereal contains added sugar, so maybe try switching to oatmeal, plain shredded wheat (if you're okay with gluten), eggs, or something of that nature for breakfast.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I always go over too, but I eat a lot of fruit for breakfast and I don't usually count fruit-based sugar (just processed or white granulated sugars). And I try to use honey instead of white sugar as often as possible.

Try eating eggs and toast or even steel-cut oatmeal (homemade!) for breakfast. That should help with less sugar.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    You can make a breakfast sandwich for low cal and quick.

1. sara lee 45& delightful bread...2 slices = 90 cal
    2. 1 egg - 70 cal
    3. 1 piece turkey bacon = 30 cal (possibly 20 depending on brand)
    4. 1/2 serving of cheese (optional) = 55 cal

Total = 190 cal w/o cheese
    = 245 cal w/ cheese

If you buy one of the small egg frying pans, you can cook it without having to "pay attention". I put mine in there and do other stuff, such as finish getting dressed or get everything else ready and by the time I come back it's done. I also make the turkey bacon the night before and cut the cheese the night before...

I go through phases where i make this. Usually when I am looking at buying a breakfast sandwiches for a change up, I remind myself it's cheaper to make them myself.
  • felicia_s
    Options
    Almost every day I eat 2 scrambled eggs with diced ham and shredded cheese with a low carb tortilla. It is filling and delicious and gives me a good protein boost and has very little sugar/carbs.

I love cereal and do splurge maybe once every 2 weeks, but the rest of the time I avoid it as I am following a low carb diet and it just takes up too many of my daily carb points with the milk.

Felicia
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Make your own muesli by mixing oats, nuts and maybe some dried fruit and have that instead of your store bought cereals, which are often laden with sugar.
  • christina721
    Options
    Oatmeal. No sugar. Add stevia. With cinnamon.

This! It is actually in my lap as I type this :) good luck!

I also have egg whites with veggies and ground lean turkey. :)
  • vanessairene
    vanessairene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Eggs.

yep.
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    Have chicken and veggies for breakfast. Only mildly different from eggs and veggies.
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    Why limit yourself to "breakfast" foods?

I have been eating a lot of leftovers for breakfast, but my "usual" breakfast meal....

Is a slice of roast beef, a bun, and a can of Diet Coke (it will be a large glass of hot tea in the winter.)

It's got the right carb-protein balance for me, it doesn't have any spicing that might annoy me first thing, it's simple to eat, and I can take it in the car with me if necessary, and it's simple to make when I'm half asleep.

So don't limit yourself to breakfast foods in the morning. Since I AM sensitive to carbs, I make breakfast foods at night, when I can sit around and watch TV in the carb fog and no problems.
  • jwapal
    jwapal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good old fashioned plain Cherrios!! My breakfast of choice most mornings with skin milk and raspberries (they are low in sugar for a fruit).
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    ignore MFP's sugar goal completely. don't even track it.