Gastric Bypass/

Options

Replies

• Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I know two people who had it. One in the 1990s happily lost about 3/4 of her body weight, but gained it all back about five years later. I wasn't surprised - even while she was losing weight, she'd keep huge bags of the special foodby her side, nibbling at it constantly, through business meetings and the like.
    A second friend had it in the early 2000s, and has been able to keep off the weight. Unlike my other friend, she didn't diet down to anorexia - she lost to a normal size. However, she can only eat a few tablespoons of food at a time, making going out to dinner with her and her husband a difficult exercise, as she needs to leave the table after 15 minutes due to a stuffed stomach and esophagus. It was enough to convince me NEVER to get that surgery!
    I really believe we can lose our weight the right way. Shortcuts don't cut it.
  • cherbapp
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in 2003.

Good intentions...psych eval...lose a few pounds first...follow all the rules....blah blah blah.

Lost 109 pounds. Felt good. Forgot what I went through.

Ate.

Ate.

Ate.

Gained 55 back and sat there for a few years.

Now I am doing it the right way....mind over matter, watching my diet and exercising my butt off.

Left over side effects of mineral and vitamin deficiencies...anemia that keeps coming back...ulcers...digestive sensitivities...all from a surgery that I thought I needed but turns out....I can lose weight anyway. And be proud of it.

I would not recommend it. The work required is the same.

You say you are "doing it the right way". So then did you have your stomach un-bypassed? Stomach replacement surgery? I'm trying to understand how that works. If you had bariatric surgery several years ago then you are still and will for ever be getting that added help toward weight loss provided by the surgery. Changes in absorption, changes is hormone release, change in hunger levels, all those don't just miraculously change because ate more than you should have after surgery.

Added help??? Are you kidding me?

I have more difficulty losing weight than I ever would have had with a whole stomach. It streched right out and I can eat what any normal person can...however I lost the ability to absorb the needed nutrients and minerals needed to keep my system healthy.

Try losing weight with the extreme fatigue and dizziness of anemia.

And to the person who said I failed the tool....yep. Give it a few years. You mentally are not cured by having your stomach operated on. Most (not all) obesity problems are from lack of mental control over what you put in your body and make it do.

Seriously, people who are still losing from their surgeries are of course happy with it. 6-7+ years out...not the same story.
  • wendygutie
    wendygutie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I thought about having the surgery, but then decided against it since I'm at scardy cat :p. At 318 pounds, I started on MFP and have stuck to if for 305 days or so now. I am so GLAD that I joined MFP and have been able to keep up my weight loss. I have friends that have had the surgery and have had to go back to get adjustments, or are having issues. For me, surgery was not the option. I had to do it the old fashioned way - exercise and portion control. So far so good. It's not even my year mark, and I'm almost at 100 lost. So happy :)

You can do it without surgery...but if you feel that it's your only choice, beware of the side effects.
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My two sister in laws both had it done. Both have gained back all their weight, plus more. One is having major issues with stomach ulcers because of the surgery. Both have big issues with what they ingest.

I have lost 84 pounds in the last 10 months doing it the old fashioned way....logging what I eat, eating in moderation, and lots of exercise. When I started, I would be out of breath just walking around the block. Now I am running 5Ks and have registered for a triathlon next month. It is hard work, and I highly recommend that you try this before going under the knife.
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    "And to the person who said I failed the tool....yep. Give it a few years. You mentally are not cured by having your stomach operated on. Most (not all) obesity problems are from lack of mental control over what you put in your body and make it do. "

And you yourself proved your point! My mental control is something that I have to work on daily.....When I'm playing softball, running stairs, riding my bike, doing the Wii Fit, and chasing my 4 yr old. All stuff I couldnt do 100 lbs ago without the surgery. No one said that the surgery was a cure all end all! It's a TOOL! Use it as it was intended. Just because you fell back into your old ways doesnt mean that everyone else will either. There are plenty of people on this forum that are many many years out from surgery that are doing absolutly great.
  • ReDoableMe
    ReDoableMe Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My story is very unique. I will be having the surgery in November, but not necessarily because it's my choice. My kidneys are failing and I'm in desperate need of a kidney transplant. My husband has offered me his kidney but no surgeon will do the transplant unless I lose 100 lbs. I don't have a year to do that as my nephrologist thinks I'll be on dialysis within 6 months. I'm a mom of 3 very active kids and being on dialysis is NOT an option. My transplant surgeon is the one that suggested I have the surgery. All of the other Drs on my team agree that it's a wonderful idea so I kinda feel like my back is against the wall.

If my life wasn't on the line, I wouldn't have the surgery. Then again, if my kidneys were functioning the way they're supposed to then I'd have more energy and I probably wouldn't have gained so much weight in the first place. But, life for me has been busy and you don't think that the reason why you're so tired all the time could be due to a medical condition. Unfortunately I found out I had kidney disease a little too late to do much about it.

I agree 100% with those that say that weight loss surgery is a tool. It is NOT the easy way out, instead it's more like a jumpstart. Taking the easy way out would be having the surgery, losing the weight, and then gaining it back. That is a waste of time, money, and energy to say the least. If you're going to do it, do it the way it's meant to be done. Lose enough weight to be ABLE to move your body more, and then do it!
  • I yo-yoed for yrs. the older I got the harder it was to take off and the more I gained.
    prior to surgery -I had quit smoking, and drinking Carbonated beverages. I also try to avoid Gluten, MSG, and High fructose Corn Syrup. I was also on a 1200 calorie diet and the weight wasn't coming off.
    I had VSG - This surgery is a TOOL to use - you still have to watch what you eat - exercise - drink enough water and get your protein in!!!!!

I had surgery with Dr. Alvarez (best surgeon ever) on 07/23/2012. I am down 43 pounds so far
    I am off both blood pressure medications, My knees don't hurt any more, I sleep better at night, I no longer snore, my skin looks healthier and has a glow to it, I have more energy and my sex life has improved :happy:

Follow your heart - and do what you need to do!
    I did what I had to and I don't regret a second of it!!!

And the people that think that this is a "short cut" or a "easy way out"...............
    I have had TONS of support from Average or "thin" friends - the ONLY resistance I EVER HAD was from overweight people that had there own "food issues"

This surgery isnt for someone that isn't slightly over weight....
    This surgery is for a BMI over 35 with at least 1 health issue - or a BMI over 40 with no health issues!
  • Bravo!!!
  • ThinCarl
    Options
    You'll be so glad you did. What is really important is the follow up visits with the dietician afterward to stay on track. I was so scared before the surgery and immediately after I was so relieved and excited. It is a life long journey, but at least you will have a tool to help you stick to what is right. Many people say eat less, exercise more, but if it was that easy no one would be overweight. You will get tools to succeed and support, if you don't use it properly, it won't work right, but if you do, you should be able to maintain proper weight.
  • ThinCarl
    Options
    couldn't agree with you more. Congratulations!! In fact, anyone who decides to not use their tools wisely anf reverts back to old eating habits, the operation didn't fail them, they failed to use their tool properly. Like the definition of insanity, "doing the same old thing and expecting different results". Wishing you continued and best of success. Also, there are more people who fail now because thousands more surgerys are being completed now. We can do it!!
  • lisamurphy7227
    Options
    i dislike the way people pick words apart. her surgery was a sucess. she got too comfortable. after a cerain amount of years post op, your body slowly starts to react the same as it used to. im sure what she means by "the right way" shes meaning shes trying to reteach herself. it irritates me how many people call weight loss surgery an easy out. or a diet for lazy people. you dont know what a bypass patient has gone through untill you are one.
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    @LISA Amen sister! To quote Rodney King from all those years ago..."Caint we just get along?". Lets work on being supportive and helping one another!
  • wak55
    Options
    I had the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass on January 9, 2012, I have lost almost 150lbs and continue to lose. I have no regrets. I have had no problems. The real secret is in your head, not your stomach! You must be ready for the surgery. You must be willing to make a lifelong change. You need support from friends and family. I strongly suggest you seek a Center of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery and follow their program prior to surgery. Yes, it includes a psychological evaluation, but if you don't have your mind right, you will fail. Join the support group at the Center and attend the meetings. Every morning, look in the mirror and remind yourself what you are doing and tell yourself how much better you are for what you have accomplished yesterday! BE HONEST! This surgery is not something to be taken lightly. It demands you make life changes. It is a tool that will help you, if you let it. I wish you all the success if you try this road. If you ever want to chat, I will be happy to respond!
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My story is very unique. I will be having the surgery in November, but not necessarily because it's my choice. My kidneys are failing and I'm in desperate need of a kidney transplant. My husband has offered me his kidney but no surgeon will do the transplant unless I lose 100 lbs. I don't have a year to do that as my nephrologist thinks I'll be on dialysis within 6 months. I'm a mom of 3 very active kids and being on dialysis is NOT an option. My transplant surgeon is the one that suggested I have the surgery. All of the other Drs on my team agree that it's a wonderful idea so I kinda feel like my back is against the wall.

If my life wasn't on the line, I wouldn't have the surgery. Then again, if my kidneys were functioning the way they're supposed to then I'd have more energy and I probably wouldn't have gained so much weight in the first place. But, life for me has been busy and you don't think that the reason why you're so tired all the time could be due to a medical condition. Unfortunately I found out I had kidney disease a little too late to do much about it.

I agree 100% with those that say that weight loss surgery is a tool. It is NOT the easy way out, instead it's more like a jumpstart. Taking the easy way out would be having the surgery, losing the weight, and then gaining it back. That is a waste of time, money, and energy to say the least. If you're going to do it, do it the way it's meant to be done. Lose enough weight to be ABLE to move your body more, and then do it!

My thoughts and prayers are with you, what a difficult situation to be in.

I know many people who have had some sort of WLS, and I deal with a number of pts. who have had the surgery as well. It's a mixed bag of success. Some have had a lot of long term success, but there are a lot of long term issues. One friend has never been able to eat raw vegetables, and over the course of 10 years has gained back only about 15 pounds of the 120 that she lost. She takes her vitamins, including Vit. B shots monthly. Also, NO loose skin d/t great genes.

A co-worker remains morbidly obese and has lymphedema, but she has maintained almost 200 pound loss. It (her weight) was severely compromising her health. She has had multiple small bowel obstructions, and has a number of other problems directly related to the surgery. She says that despite this, she still has no regrets. She feels she would be dead at this point without the surgery.

One patient clearly didn't keep up with the mental health work she needed to do, and has frequent health problems associated with the surgery. She also has other health problems as well, and has gained back almost 1/2 her original weight loss in just 3 years time.

Several other pts. have maintained significant losses for more than 20 years.

A co-worker's husband had the surgery almost 10 years ago and his recovery took nearly a year. He had nearly every complication known to man. In addition, he was the largest patient that had ever been done (at that time), and the facility learned a lot about bariatric patient care--the skin issues, the equipment needs, etc. He lost 1/2 his body weight in about 18 months and kept the weight off. He too remained severely morbidly obese. Sadly, he did about 1 1/2 years ago from a heart attack. His wife believes that the extra time they had together was a direct result of the surgery. Despite the long, complicated recovery, they were both very glad he had the surgery.

Research, research, research before you do this and make an informed decision. In the end, I decided I hadn't given my own efforts a fair enough trial, and I felt that the potential complications (anemia, vitamin deficiencies, GERD), along with all the things that I'd have to give up (diet soda, my love of carbs, raw veggies) were not worth it.

Good luck in making your decision. I do agree that it's not a quick fix and would never suggest that anyone who has done this "cheated", which I've heard a number of people say IRL. To the contrary, I feel like it's a tool, and a very complicated tool.
  • chanixxx
    Options
    I know 3 women that had it done. two are re-gainin the weight rather quickly, but one got obsessed and is getting sickly looking and scary.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    oops
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I had mine done 2 years ago. I lost 198 pounds. It is a real struggle once you can start to eat normalish portions so myfitnesspal is a huge asset.
  • jwilson3787
    Options
    Nicely put .. I totally agree! My Mom had it done as well and did the same thing. You need to realize that you have a problem with the way you eat and what you eat before you think GB is gonna fix everything...
  • lndillon1
    lndillon1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery over a year ago and lost 145 lbs. I recently gained 20 pounds because I was eating the wrong things, but have now lost half of that. I have not regretted the surgery for a single moment. It saved my life. It is not the easy way out...but it is life changing. My cardiologist told me it was the surgery or a wheelchair and early death.

After I had my surgery I had to move for work and lost my entire support system but I have still persevered. I do exercise and try to be more careful about what I eat. I have been blessed with a supportive family and some supportive friends.

If you have never been morbidly obese, it might be difficult to understand.

Most of us are here because we are wanting to lose weight or maintain the weight loss we have had. My goal is to be healthy and watch my grandchildren and great-grandchildren grow up. Getting to go to Disney World with my children and grandchildren is something I thought I would never be able to do.

I am now healthier than I have been in 30+ years. Life is good.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I had Gastric bypass ten years ago. I lost 176 pounds in less than 18 months (over 100 in the first 6 months). I did not work on my emotional attachment to food or the way I think about food. Very gradually I gained back over 75 pounds. In September last year I had to go through some major medical drama which resulted in 3 surgeries and a wound vac. That medical issue was unrelated to my gastric bypass, but it was the wake up call I needed. I realized I needed to take control of my health. I lost some weight on my own, then found mfp. I now weigh less than I did after I lost all that weight from surgery. As many others have stated, the surgery is a tool. The doctor adjusts your stomach, but in order to be successful you need to adjust your thinking. I will not tell you I regret my surgery, because I don't. I am not sure I ever would have had the dedication to lose weight without it. Gather all the information you can, so that you can make an informed decision. Only you can determine what is the right choice for you. Best of luck whatever you choose.

*edited because I hate type-os :grumble:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!