Gaining and so unhappy

Options
124»

Replies

• AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    TECHNICALLY, your sodium won't matter much

Sodium does matter. If you consistently have too much, you'll retain water. Plus it's just not good for you.
  • lorinjer
    lorinjer Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Looks like your non-exercise calorie goal is 1550 per day - try dividing that into 4 equal +/- parts for B,L, D and Snacks (about 375 +/-) each. eating at a more consistant level through out the day will keep your matabolisim at a steadier level. As others have said - watch the sodium (water retention, I try for 1500mg max)) and also up the protien (slower to digest) and reduce the carbs and fat (kind of "empty" calories along with sugars) .. results in better quality fuel for your exercising. Something else to consider ... generally running/jogging (depending on your current weight and speed) is only good for 80-120 calories burned per mile, so if your recording a higher burn rate, perhaps that is impacting your results a bit. If possible, try exerecising in the morning because the elevated burn rate will continue for a few hours into the rest of the day. Also as ohters have suggested - more unprocessed veggies - a lot more ( they fill you up, have good nutrients and don't add many calories). Gook luck

I'm going to try and divide it up like that and see if that helps me....for today just breakfast is not high enough so I will add more to dinner to make up for that for today
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hey! Don't stress too much because it is likely that your body may just be retaining fluid, gaining muscle, or having other fluctuations. First, I agree that you should eat back at least CLOSE to the daily goal. That is what your body would need if you did nothing but lay in bed all day just to function properly (this coming from a girl who has fought eating disorders from the age of 14 so I am finally focusing on doing things the right way). Also, I disagree with simply "eating whatever you want" so long as it is under your calories for the day. Your body needs nutrition to function, heal itself, prevent disease, prevent aging, injury, etc. Calories are important, and within reason you can eat things you want as long as you watch calories, but in moderation. You can not live on pizza alone just because you don't eat that much of it. Yes, you will be thin, but no you won't be healthy. (Not saying this is what you do, just saying this as a rule in general)

Also, every individual person's body utilizes their food a little differently than the next. You may not need to eat as many arbs and may need to increase protein slightly. Some people do better on higher carbs and less protein. These are not going to be significantly different, but slight "tweaks" to our diet can change things. JM's had a thing on her website that used to be able to take all your information and info on a survey to determine how your body uses its food. I am one of those that can eat more whole grains and slightly lower protein and maintain very well. I've tested it, it works for me.

Try increasing your whole grain consumption rather than white flours, these will cause less fluctuation in your blood sugar and fuel your body longer do to their complex nature.

Also, some of our very healthy foods can cause our bodies to bloat and appear larger. I eat almonds and dried apricots for lunch during the work week and had to start taking the Align probiotic to help with bloating. I have seen a tremendous difference and am not so puffy in general. Other foods that will do this are things like broccolli, greens, cauliflower, etc. Water retention bloat can be caused by fatty or high sodium foods.

I am certainly not trying to give you a definitive answer as to "why?", but hope to give you some ideas to try.

Most importantly, try some changes and listen to your body. If we can listen, we will usually learn what our bodies want and need.