Options

Replies

• JoyBouter
    JoyBouter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting. Bumping for later!
  • emmaonamission
    Options
    I watched this series when it was on and it was very interesting... There was one couple who thought they were too good for the show and would eat ridiculously healthily when they were at home (IMO to play the show and try and prove them wrong) but they had no idea they were being secretly filmed at work, when outside etc,and they would stop off at McDonalds a few times a day and go off to Pizza Express and consume thousands of cals. It was amusing then to see them protest at the end that they had eaten well all week :D

It's an eye opener though. I think if I wasn't obsessed with MFP I wouldn't be able to remember what I'd eaten all day - one because I have a rubbish memory and two because its so easy to eat without thinking.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    I watched this series too and recognise the "old me" in a lot of the particpants.

However I always knew my diet was bad and that lack of any "activity" or any motivation/willingness to do any was a major factor also.

For the last couple of years I was writing down EVERYTHING I ate (good & bad) and any activity. But wasn't really tracking calories it was just making me more aware. Now thanks to finding this site I am completely aware of exactly what my body is taking in and out.
  • jsteinberg87
    jsteinberg87 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Bump to read tomorrow!
  • shlottelac
    shlottelac Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    this is really interesting! Thank you for sharing!
  • Hellavaloosa
    Options
    My weight gain is due 100% to overeating and undermoving.

Oh yes, this indeed! It took logging for me to realise. This is an interesting series, thank you for sharing.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Wow!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    So what this show proves to me is that food addictions are a serious disorder not to be taken lightly. It's like intervention TV. It is sometimes truly scary to see how many calories are in restaurant menu items… but at least everyone in the MFP community has "awareness" to look up calories and know what they are eating.

Now getting over the addiction and staying fit for 5, 10,15 years… that's the TV show I want to see. I would have loved to have been the weight I am at now (age 53) consistently since my 30's…
  • wisters
    wisters Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump, just watched the first ep, very interesting.
  • emnpepper
    emnpepper Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing - will check it out on YouTube :-)
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm watching the pilot, this looks great!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for drawing my attention to this show. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this. I could have been one of them a month ago.

Goodness bless Brit TV. Only thing we get here in the US is shows telling us we can lose 10 lb every week by being crazy. So cool to see that little changes add up.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I had a wake up call to myself this year... and I was doing this.
    Yep, I eat like a champion... infront of others. Always chosing the best thing when I go out to eat, when I pack my lunch for work... but then get me at home and I'm standing infront of the fridge eating cake off the cake plate that SHOULD BE THROWN AWAY picking off the crusty bits. Or getting to the bottom of a box of crackers and being surprised and then dissapointed there wasn't more.
    I always say 'Oh I play derby so it's ok'... yeah along with chips and gravy for lunch, the bag of chips I ate after that followed by the chocolate and the MASSIVE serve of pasta and cheap fatty meat for dinner. Pfft yeah right. Derby keeps me on maintenance technically for the cals I was eating but oh lord my poor organs.

It brought back memories of the time my mum took me to the doctor at 18 as she was worried I'd die in my sleep. I was overweight at 75kg/165 lbs but no where near the 'die in my sleep stage' however the doctor asked me to keep a food diary. When I returned it he flat out told me I was lying and I swore at him and left. Truth was, I was lying. Well, I was eating fabulously for that week as I just couldn't bear writing down what I was actually eating or lying about it on paper.

Any time I've lost weight without fad/crash dieting is because there's nothing in the fridge to snack on. I don't have a job where I can shovel food endlessly into my mouth or hide at the end of a shift making myself a staff lunch when noone is around, scoffing half and taking the other half home and pretending it's all I'd had (wow THAT really hurt writing that!)

I on and off watch The Biggest Loser but when those 'we follow them on secret cams and see what they really eat' eps are on I have to turn them off. I just feel so bad for them when they try so hard and they don't really know they are being watched. And it triggered that feeling I had when I did it and KNEW what I was doing. It was like an all day binge.

However, I've addressed that now. Anything I eat gets logged. I carry my phone on me most of the time so I'll check MFP before putting it in my mouth. If it's not going to work, it doesn't go in. Mostly, it doesn't. I also don't keep the crap in the house that I used to. Bye bye crackers. See you later cakes. Adios chippies!

Well done for admitting this, sometimes I personally feel once you admit this out load then this makes your weight loss so much easier, (if that makes sense), good luck for the rest of your weight loss journey

What she said! Very well done!

:blushing: thankyou.
    It really did hurt. I've never even said that to myself let alone to anyone else or writing it down! I was at work so that's all that stopped me from having a little cry about it.
    There are so many little reasons why I'm overweight. But they all fall under one category. Excuses. Yep, genetically I'll find it harder as my family are largely built and I probably wont ever be waif like. So, I just have to work harder which means my victories will feel better. Yep, I love food and the only 'stop' notion I have is nearly vomiting. I'll have to measure and be careful. I don't like the feeling of exercising. I'M embarrassed of the way my body looks, sounds and feels when I do it. But, I love the feeling after and the more I do it the less it will suck.

I've had to face some pretty ****ing lame truths about myself in the last month. And I was ashamed. Now, I'm using them as reasons to kick my own butt and try and be helpful to others. This is the LONGEST I have ever stuck with an eating plan of any kind. I'm not losing as much as I'd hoped. But I'm not disheartened. At some point I will get there. Me and my body are already friends.

It's time for me to stop burying my head in the sand and hope for a miracle...because I already am one.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    This is so interesting! I know for myself before I started keeping a food diary I had no idea of how much food I was actually eating. This is why I'm so diligent about logging every single thing that I eat and drink!
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Yep, I eat like a champion... infront of others. Always chosing the best thing when I go out to eat, when I pack my lunch for work... but then get me at home and I'm standing infront of the fridge eating cake off the cake plate that SHOULD BE THROWN AWAY picking off the crusty bits. Or getting to the bottom of a box of crackers and being surprised and then dissapointed there wasn't more.
    I always say 'Oh I play derby so it's ok'... yeah along with chips and gravy for lunch, the bag of chips I ate after that followed by the chocolate and the MASSIVE serve of pasta and cheap fatty meat for dinner. Pfft yeah right. Derby keeps me on maintenance technically for the cals I was eating but oh lord my poor organs.

It brought back memories of the time my mum took me to the doctor at 18 as she was worried I'd die in my sleep. I was overweight at 75kg/165 lbs but no where near the 'die in my sleep stage' however the doctor asked me to keep a food diary. When I returned it he flat out told me I was lying and I swore at him and left. Truth was, I was lying. Well, I was eating fabulously for that week as I just couldn't bear writing down what I was actually eating or lying about it on paper.

Any time I've lost weight without fad/crash dieting is because there's nothing in the fridge to snack on. I don't have a job where I can shovel food endlessly into my mouth or hide at the end of a shift making myself a staff lunch when noone is around, scoffing half and taking the other half home and pretending it's all I'd had (wow THAT really hurt writing that!)

I on and off watch The Biggest Loser but when those 'we follow them on secret cams and see what they really eat' eps are on I have to turn them off. I just feel so bad for them when they try so hard and they don't really know they are being watched. And it triggered that feeling I had when I did it and KNEW what I was doing. It was like an all day binge.

However, I've addressed that now. Anything I eat gets logged. I carry my phone on me most of the time so I'll check MFP before putting it in my mouth. If it's not going to work, it doesn't go in. Mostly, it doesn't. I also don't keep the crap in the house that I used to. Bye bye crackers. See you later cakes. Adios chippies!

Well done for admitting this, sometimes I personally feel once you admit this out load then this makes your weight loss so much easier, (if that makes sense), good luck for the rest of your weight loss journey

What she said! Very well done!

:blushing: thankyou.
    It really did hurt. I've never even said that to myself let alone to anyone else or writing it down! I was at work so that's all that stopped me from having a little cry about it.
    There are so many little reasons why I'm overweight. But they all fall under one category. Excuses. Yep, genetically I'll find it harder as my family are largely built and I probably wont ever be waif like. So, I just have to work harder which means my victories will feel better. Yep, I love food and the only 'stop' notion I have is nearly vomiting. I'll have to measure and be careful. I don't like the feeling of exercising. I'M embarrassed of the way my body looks, sounds and feels when I do it. But, I love the feeling after and the more I do it the less it will suck.

I've had to face some pretty ****ing lame truths about myself in the last month. And I was ashamed. Now, I'm using them as reasons to kick my own butt and try and be helpful to others. This is the LONGEST I have ever stuck with an eating plan of any kind. I'm not losing as much as I'd hoped. But I'm not disheartened. At some point I will get there. Me and my body are already friends.

It's time for me to stop burying my head in the sand and hope for a miracle...because I already am one.

I hated to exercise too, for the same reasons, I found DDPYoga though, and I LOVE it! This video of Arthur is what introduced me to DDPY. Its very inspiring. http://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I watched the first few episodes so far. It is a good show. The people on the show are very likeable, that makes it fun and interesting.
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, will absolutely watch.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

you have come a long way, and have deffinatly put in work. as hard as it was for you to type that, it was hard for me to read as well, only bacause i never knew people did this in secret! it made me think though-because i could never understand how people got so big- to the extreme- i think it was brave and helped me understand a few things better. you might have just saved someones life. BRAVO!:flowerforyou: