Milk, milk, and more milk.

Options
124»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    We are the only species that drinks another mammals milk. And no, we were not meant to drink cows milk, and they're are several studies I've read linking dairy to cancer.

Put a bowl of milk in front of a dog, cat, ferret or many other mammals and you will see how wrong your statement is. Please link these studies also.
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Brilliant thread. Had me in stitches! *PMSL*

Oh wait - could that be from the soy milk I just drank??? *panic*
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    EGGS?? DAIRY??
    How dare you think about fruit??
  • Moppetage
    Options
    Love this thread :)

On a serious note I had someone tell me I shouldn't have dairy last week as '75% of the worlds population are lactose intolerant to some extent'. So being the cynical (milk loving) person I am I looked it up and found some stats:

Lactose intolerance appears to have a genetic component, and specific populations show high levels of intolerance, including approximately: 95 percent of Asians, 60 percent to 80 percent of African Americans and Ashkenazi Jews, 80 percent to 100 percent of American Indians, and 50 percent to 80 percent of Hispanics.
    Lactose intolerance is least common among people of northern European origin, who have a lactose intolerance prevalence of only about 2 percent.

So basically given i'm of northern european descent chances are I'm good! (also as with most intolerances if you're feeling healthy and well generally as well as after eating it - you probably aren't intolerant!)

Now.... where's the cheese?
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    We are the only species that drinks another mammals milk. And no, we were not meant to drink cows milk, and they're are several studies I've read linking dairy to cancer.
    Fascinating but incorrect... I reared a foal last year on a goat, weve had cattle that steals milk, as well as cats, ferrets, dogs etc etc
    The studies youve read are bull****... Ask anyone who works with livestock
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I like bananas with Nutella, which is the greatest stuff ever invented. I will probably die from eating it and I don't care.

nutella on toast with bananas on and gently grill to soften them. Holy jesus in a can.
    Everything is going to kill me if I eat a metric *kitten* tonne of it!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Milk. It does a body good.

236227942925266458_r3D0HrZ4_f.jpg
  • susiebear29
    Options
    no-one has mentioned air yet?!!! air is soooooooo bad for you we must all stop breathing immediately there are so many chemicals in air!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • runrockclimb
    Options
    I find all these post about milk lately to be slightly entertaining. I wonder what food or drink will be next on the list of evil things we do to our bodies? Perhaps the all knowing "they" will discover how bad oranges are for us, they are awfully acidic... and all that sugar... man bad stuff. What do you think?

It must be nice to be born with a body that can tolerate everything you put in it. Some good genes there. But not all of us have good genes...

Actually I was born severely allergic to milk, it got in the way of my breathing, and my sister is horribly lactose intolerant. I outgrew the bad reactions, I would wheeze if I had too much dairy up until I was 10 or so. And luckily while I seem to be able to tolerate dairy, and I do because I love my ice cream, and cereal, and yogurt, to this day if I have too much dairy its not a fun thing. Goat's milk is a great alternative if you can afford it.
    The difference is I don't go around telling others its evil and nasty and they'll die if they drink it. Especially not without some damn good proof. No its not for everyone, some of us are born not able to tolerate it and we should avoid it for that reason, but why should the rest of the world avoid it?
    What I find funny are the people that make these outrageous and often ridiculous claims about milk and other foods, and the people who believe them without doing their own looking. Plus we can probably link everything under the sun to something else negative. People should just relax and enjoy life and the food in it. Make smart, thought out choices sure, avoid foods you know make you sick, or you're allergic too, and let others do the same without all the hub bub.
  • runrockclimb
    Options
    no-one has mentioned air yet?!!! air is soooooooo bad for you we must all stop breathing immediately there are so many chemicals in air!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    So true, I'd never thought about that! Eeeeep!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    Love this thread :)

On a serious note I had someone tell me I shouldn't have dairy last week as '75% of the worlds population are lactose intolerant to some extent'. So being the cynical (milk loving) person I am I looked it up and found some stats:

Lactose intolerance appears to have a genetic component, and specific populations show high levels of intolerance, including approximately: 95 percent of Asians, 60 percent to 80 percent of African Americans and Ashkenazi Jews, 80 percent to 100 percent of American Indians, and 50 percent to 80 percent of Hispanics.
    Lactose intolerance is least common among people of northern European origin, who have a lactose intolerance prevalence of only about 2 percent.

So basically given i'm of northern european descent chances are I'm good! (also as with most intolerances if you're feeling healthy and well generally as well as after eating it - you probably aren't intolerant!)

Now.... where's the cheese?

that's interesting. My family is Native American and most of us are very very allergic to milk. I have found that goat milk does not affect me (or the kids) like cow's milk does though. Yeah Goats!!!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options

unfortunately, in some places you are right! It is probably healthier to wear and oxygen tank than to breathe the surrounding air.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Fruit is terrible for you. Want proof? Everyone who has eaten it has eventually died.
    :laugh:

Umm, what?!? I've eaten fruit (oranges included) and I'm alive.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I think you missed the word, "eventually." Life does have a 100% chance of causing death, after all.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

We are the also the only species that plant gardens and cook our food. Sometimes we even marinate our food before cooking it. We mix foods together for improved taste. We brew beans or plant leaves into drinks. We heat oil and add it to foods. What other species does any of that? Who cares what other species do? it's good to be human, no?

ETA: for breakfast this morning you had eggs, bacon and cheese. Do other animals take cows milk and make cheese? Do they smoke / cure pig belly? Do they cook eggs and eat them?
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You mix bananas with honey?? That sounds extremely dangerous!
    I bet you run with scissors too!

When I was a kid, I ate "banana cereal". Sliced bananas, white sugar, milk. Still sounds pretty good.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Anything in excess can be linked to cancer. Cattle and goats have been domesticated to provide milk and meat for for over 10,000 years, and the human race still exists.