Recs for scary/disturbing movies?

Options
DJ2120
DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
DH & I are staying in tonight & he suggested we rent some movies. I would love some suggestions for movies that kind of mess you up & leave you thinking KWIM? I love scary movies, but I like ones that are mentally scary & not gory. They really don't make scary movies like they used to! It doesn't have to necessarily be a horror movie either, but just something that will leave you in shock or that has a really good twisting story line. I love those types of movies! Ok enough rambling since I don't even know if I'm making any sense right now lol! TIA!

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Shutter Island. It's creepy and has a very surprising twist at the end!
  • DJ2120
    Options
    Shutter Island. It's creepy and has a very surprising twist at the end!

Thank you! I actually have seen that one already, but that's the exact type of movie I am talking about! :wink:
  • kevinwk
    Options
    The SAW movies.
  • kevinwk
    Options
    Session 9 is a good psychological horror flick. Based in a mental hospital.
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I was thinking Shutter Island too. I really like psychological thriller type movies too. Some that might be good: "Black Swan", "Unbreakable", "Silence of the Lambs", maybe some classic Hitchcock (Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window), and I haven't seen it but "Donnie Darko" is very popular. "Pulp Fiction" is also a great film (but very violent and, just to warn you, there is a really disturbing rape scene).

Sorry, if you've seen all the films I've listed. I can't thinking of any super obscure movies right now.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    I made a list & I'm heading to Blockbuster, thanks so much for the great recs!
  • fueledbychange
    fueledbychange Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I was thinking Shutter Island too. I really like psychological thriller type movies too. Some that might be good: "Black Swan", "Unbreakable", "Silence of the Lambs", maybe some classic Hitchcock (Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window), and I haven't seen it but "Donnie Darko" is very popular. "Pulp Fiction" is also a great film (but very violent and, just to warn you, there is a really disturbing rape scene).

Sorry, if you've seen all the films I've listed. I can't thinking of any super obscure movies right now.

Black Swan and Donnia Darko are really good mind movies, but not exactly scary movies. Both a must-see!
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    Why dont you come on down to the "horror group" and check out the reccomendations!

Some really awesome ones in there! :D
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    or
    salvage
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Black Swan, The Machinist, Memento, Seven, Frailty, and of course Psycho.

Seven and Memento are two of my favorites.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    lovely molly and insidious
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Audition. Really good movie that really never shows you anything. Definitely edge of seat.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Strangers. I found that pulled me in straight away. I like thrillers with a real life twist, makes them all the more scary if you think it could happen.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    David Lynch's 'Lost Highway'.
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The Descent. Gory but very scary psychologically (to me at least, I dont do scary darkness, claustrophobia type things). I left bruises on my husband's arm.

Plus theres a 2nd one thats awesomely cheesy!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest (these are not light movies)
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Bump! I need to see more of these types of movies...
  • jamacattack
    jamacattack Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Black Swan, The Machinist, Memento, Seven, Frailty, and of course Psycho.

Seven and Memento are two of my favorites.

These are good and Frailty is good too.... Memento is one of my favorites too!
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The Human Centiped WAS disgustingly disturbing.....shudder!!!!!
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    The Human Centiped WAS disgustingly disturbing.....shudder!!!!!

Just reading the description of that movie online made me sick for days. I don't think I could ever watch it. I think they made a second one too.