Are carrots a bad carb?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've just read a post on here where the poster said carrots are a bad carb to eat..is that true?
    Carrots are my main veg and eat them a lot :noway:

No, they are not. I think this idea comes from the fact that carrots have a high glycemic index (GI) because the sugar in them is a simple sugar that is digested quickly. But the glycemic load (GL) of carrots is actually low because they have very little sugar in them and they do not cause a spike a in blood sugar when eaten.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    "bad" (to be more precise, refined/simple) carbohydrates would include the following: white rice, white bread, white flour based pastas, sugar and anything made with sugar (candy, cookies, pies, cakes, etc).

Carrots are a "starchy vegetable" in the same class as parsnips, turnips, potatoes (Not all potatoes are bad for you), sweet potatoes, etc.

Raw is the best way to eat them. Cooking them releases more starch...but...they're not bad for you by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    "bad" (to be more precise, refined/simple) carbohydrates would include the following: white rice, white bread, white flour based pastas, sugar and anything made with sugar (candy, cookies, pies, cakes, etc).

Carrots are more of a complex carbohydrate. They are a "starchy vegetable" in the same class as parsnips, turnips, potatoes (Not all potatoes are bad for you), sweet potatoes, etc.

Raw is the best way to eat them. Cooking them releases more starch...but...they're not bad for you by any stretch of the imagination.

And why are white rice, bread, pasta etc "bad"?
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    100 grams of baby carrots provides about 8 grams of carbs. I'm sure there are people out there so insulin resistant they'd have trouble with that much carb, but it would be extremely rare. Of all the foods to worry about, it would be pretty low on the list.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Carrots are a "starchy vegetable" in the same class as parsnips, turnips, potatoes (Not all potatoes are bad for you), sweet potatoes, etc.

You didn't actually read the thread, I see. White rice, bread, and pastas are NOT SIMPLE CARBS. Refined, yes, simple, no. Flour is just as much a starch as the starch in a carrot or potato.
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Carrots are a good carb!!!!!! make sure you eat lots of them!
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    i heard.. that if you eat too many carrots you turn orange.. i mean look at bunnies. they eat carrots... so does it mean we are bunnies?obviously we are bunnies. and we eat bunnies.. so if we eat bunnies... does it mean we eat each other?

conclusion.
    eat carrots cuz rabbits are delicious :)

Actually it is true that if you eat TOO MANY carrots you can turn slightly orange. The (I think beta carotene) but something in carrots doesn't break down in our systems really quickly, so if you overload on them (and it takes a LOT of carrots to overload) then your palms and bottoms of your feet may turn orange. This is unlikely to happen to most people. I haven't ever seen anyone in person this has happened to. Only in text books. So unless you have health reasons why you really need to monitor your sugar, then I say... eat those delicious carrots. : ) BTW, I track sugar just to prevent future problems. I haven't had table sugar in months, get all my sugar from dairy and complex carbs (fruits, veggies, brown rice, oats, etc) and still sometimes go over. I don't sweat it too much. :drinker:

ahah yes! that is true you can turn orange.. but it would have to be excessive amounts
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Unless you're seriously trying to reach ketosis, don't worry about the carrots. However, they are much better for you raw than cooked, as they will contain more of the good stuff, and also add fiber. Cooked the fiber will be broken down and the vitamins will be washed out, leaving very little but the sugar.

I think this goes for pretty much any veggie. Raw veggie=best veggie for ya!
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of carrots too. If you are satisfied, losing weight and healthy how bad can they be? They are just as crunchy as potato chips and certainly healthier than that!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Actually, raw is not best. Most vitamins are locked away in the indigestible parts of the vegetables. Cooking allows us to actually gain access to them, while eating them raw causes them to just pass through.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Carrots are NOT a bad carb.

A cup of raw chopped carrots has 8 grams of carbs plus 4 grams fiber.

Compare that to a cup of most other carbs and you are in the clear...
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine any obeses person blaming carots for their weight problem.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    They are high glycemic and cause a rapid increase in blood sugar and insulin. They should be eaten in moderation but no they aren't bad for you. There are just better choices.

A better choice would be glazed carrots. Simmer them in butter and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.......YUM!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Unless you're seriously trying to reach ketosis, don't worry about the carrots. However, they are much better for you raw than cooked, as they will contain more of the good stuff, and also add fiber. Cooked the fiber will be broken down and the vitamins will be washed out, leaving very little but the sugar.

Not necessarily. Carrots are actually healthier when cooked, as are some other root vegetables and tomatoes.
  • jtannehill75
    Options
    CARROTS ARE NOT A BAD CARB!! Carrots are incredibly low in fat and calories and high in fiber. They are so low, in fact, that carrots can be considered a thermogenic food, which is a food that takes more calories to digest it than is actually in the food. This means that you burn calories by simply eating carrots. Carrots are also incredibly high in nutrients such as beta carotene, vitamin A and potassium. These nutrients help your body function more smoothly, and a body that is functioning properly is a body that burns more calories.
    I've lost 70 pounds in the last 7 months and carrots have been my savior!! I found that the days after I ate carrots, I lost more weight than the days I didn't eat carrots.

They are great raw or cooked!! :) I steam mine then spray a little butter on them, sweeten them with splenda with fiber and add cinnamon (cinnamon is also a fat burner!)!! Its the best guilt-free snack ever!

SO, KEEP EATING CARROTS!!
  • llstacy
    llstacy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've just read a post on here where the poster said carrots are a bad carb to eat..is that true?
    Carrots are my main veg and eat them a lot :noway:

No, they are not. I think this idea comes from the fact that carrots have a high glycemic index (GI) because the sugar in them is a simple sugar that is digested quickly. But the glycemic load (GL) of carrots is actually low because they have very little sugar in them and they do not cause a spike a in blood sugar when eaten.
    That's not true. How about this person from http://diabetesnaturally.com/the-diet/?

My Experience

I found that as soon as I started eating vegetables – and primarily green vegetables, my glucose levels began to drop. I immediately started eating more spinach, broccoli, celery, avocado, green peppers and cucumbers. I often juice these in combination with ginger which is another herb I have learned reduces my glucose levels. After starting this diet and learning about the properties of certain vegetables, I realised that I needed to test which fruits and vegetables suited me personally and I worked this out but testing my blood glucose levels after eating particular things. For example, I used to love eating carrots before going on this diet however after eating a carrot and testing my blood sugar, I worked out that it was no good for me at all to eat any orange vegetables. When it came to grains, I found that essene bread actually made my blood sugar levels spike intensely, so I avoid all bread now.

Therefore even though the advice was appropriate for a diabetic, it was really a process of elimination that I needed to go through in order to work out which vegetables worked with my body. I learned the importance of understanding the reactions to certain foods and this helped me get in control of the fluctuations in blood glucose levels. Despite what dieticians may suggest, there is no blanket diet that fits and works with everyone!!!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    They are so low, in fact, that carrots can be considered a thermogenic food, which is a food that takes more calories to digest it than is actually in the food. This means that you burn calories by simply eating carrots.

Oh really?
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Carrots are 10% carbs, 5% sugar (75% of which is sucrose) and 2.8% fiber. The have a lot of Vitamin A but not much else of note.

So they aren't a good vegetable for a low carb diet, as others have half the carbs.

They have more nutrients than Vit A.......

"Health benefits of carrots
    Sweet and succulent carrot are notably rich in anti-oxidants, vitamins and dietary fiber; however, they provide only 41 calories per 100 g, negligible amount of fat and no cholesterol.

They are exceptionally rich source of carotenes and vitamin-A. 100 g fresh carrot contain 8285 mcg of beta-carotene and 16706 IU of vitamin A. Studies have found that flavonoid compounds in carrots help protect from skin, lung and oral cavity cancers.

Carotenes are converted in to vitamin A in the liver. Beta-carotene is the major carotene that is present in these roots. Beta carotene is one of the powerful natural anti-oxidant helps protect body from harmful fee radical injury. In addition, it also has all the functions of vitamin A such as vision, reproduction (sperm production), maintenance of epithelial integrity, growth and development.

Carrots are rich in poly-acetylene anti-oxidant falcarinol. Research study conducted by scientists at University of Newcastle on laboratory animals has found that falcarinol in carrots may help fight against cancers by destroying pre-cancerous cells in the tumors.

Fresh roots are also good in vitamin C; provide about 9% of RDA. Vitamin C is water soluble anti-oxidant. It helps body maintain healthy connective tissue, teeth and gum. Its anti-oxidant property helps body protect from diseases and cancers by scavenging harmful free radicals.

This root vegetable is especially contain good amounts of many B-complex group of vitamins such as folic acid, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin, pantothenic acid, etc that acts as co-factors to enzymes during substrate metabolism in the body.

It also has healthy levels of minerals like copper, calcium, potassium, manganese and phosphorus. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure by countering effects of sodium. Manganese is used by the body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase.
  • CharityPearce
    Options
    No, I don't have it backward. Glucose and fructose (and sucrose) are the main sugars in fruits. They are monosaccharides, the absolute simplest sugar there is (sucrose is a disaccharide, which is also simple.) Most breads, pastas, and pastry doughs are polysaccharides, the most complex forms of sugar (like starch.)

Carbohydrates are classified as simple or complex. The classification depends on the chemical structure of the food, and how quickly the sugar is digested and absorbed. Simple carbohydrates have one (single) or two (double) sugars. Complex carbohydrates have three or more sugars.

Examples of single sugars from foods include:
    •Fructose (found in fruits)
    •Galactose (found in milk products)

Double sugars include:
    •Lactose (found in dairy)
    •Maltose (found in certain vegetables and in beer)
    •Sucrose (table sugar)

Honey is also a double sugar. But unlike table sugar, it contains a small amount of vitamins and minerals. (Note: Honey should not be given to children younger than 1 year old.)

Complex carbohydrates, often referred to as "starchy" foods, include:
    •Legumes
    •Starchy vegetables
    •Whole-grain breads and cereals

Simple carbohydrates that contain vitamins and minerals occur naturally in:
    •Fruits
    •Milk and milk products
    •Vegetables

Simple carbohydrates are also found in processed and refined sugars such as:
    •Candy
    •Regular (nondiet) carbonated beverages, such as soda
    •Syrups
    •Table sugar

Refined sugars provide calories, but lack vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Such simple sugars are often called "empty calories" and can lead to weight gain.

Also, many refined foods, such as white flour, sugar, and white rice, lack B vitamins and other important nutrients unless they are marked "enriched." It is healthiest to get carbohydrates, vitamins, and other nutrients in as natural a form as possible -- for example, from fruit instead of table sugar.

Found this info on MedilinePlus (a government site) - thought I'd share. ; ) Have a fabulous evening!
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. Carrots are actually healthier when cooked, as are some other root vegetables and tomatoes.

OK, this was interesting and weird, so I checked.

The betakaroten is released from cooking, making it more accessible. However, if you don't want to lose vitamins, you have to cook them very briefly, not heat the carrots in the water but drop them into boiling water, and you have to use the water as well, and they should not be peeled before cooking.

Which means: If we do the cooking right, or make soup, you are right. If we just splash them in and boil them in water, then throw the water away, as done in so many traditional kitchens, then I am right. :-)