Are carrots a bad carb?

Options
1235»

Replies

• FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Carrots are not a bad carb.

There are no good or bad foods. All foods can fit into a balanced diet. Portion your food accordingly.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've just read a post on here where the poster said carrots are a bad carb to eat..is that true?
    Carrots are my main veg and eat them a lot :noway:

No, they are not. I think this idea comes from the fact that carrots have a high glycemic index (GI) because the sugar in them is a simple sugar that is digested quickly. But the glycemic load (GL) of carrots is actually low because they have very little sugar in them and they do not cause a spike a in blood sugar when eaten.
    That's not true. How about this person from http://diabetesnaturally.com/the-diet/?

My Experience

I found that as soon as I started eating vegetables – and primarily green vegetables, my glucose levels began to drop. I immediately started eating more spinach, broccoli, celery, avocado, green peppers and cucumbers. I often juice these in combination with ginger which is another herb I have learned reduces my glucose levels. After starting this diet and learning about the properties of certain vegetables, I realised that I needed to test which fruits and vegetables suited me personally and I worked this out but testing my blood glucose levels after eating particular things. For example, I used to love eating carrots before going on this diet however after eating a carrot and testing my blood sugar, I worked out that it was no good for me at all to eat any orange vegetables. When it came to grains, I found that essene bread actually made my blood sugar levels spike intensely, so I avoid all bread now.

Therefore even though the advice was appropriate for a diabetic, it was really a process of elimination that I needed to go through in order to work out which vegetables worked with my body. I learned the importance of understanding the reactions to certain foods and this helped me get in control of the fluctuations in blood glucose levels. Despite what dieticians may suggest, there is no blanket diet that fits and works with everyone!!!

I never suggested anything works for everyone so calm down. In tests the GI of carrots varies widely because the sugar content varies widely based season, area, weather, soil condition, etc.

Just because the person and the carrot didn't mesh well in one circumstance is hardly evidence that carrots are unhealthy.
  • llstacy
    llstacy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've just read a post on here where the poster said carrots are a bad carb to eat..is that true?

No, they are not. I think this idea comes from the fact that carrots have a high glycemic index (GI) because the sugar in them is a simple sugar that is digested quickly. But the glycemic load (GL) of carrots is actually low because they have very little sugar in them and they do not cause a spike a in blood sugar when eaten.
    That's not true. How about this person from http://diabetesnaturally.com/the-diet/?

My Experience

I found that as soon as I started eating vegetables – and primarily green vegetables, my glucose levels began to drop. I immediately started eating more spinach, broccoli, celery, avocado, green peppers and cucumbers. I often juice these in combination with ginger which is another herb I have learned reduces my glucose levels. After starting this diet and learning about the properties of certain vegetables, I realised that I needed to test which fruits and vegetables suited me personally and I worked this out but testing my blood glucose levels after eating particular things. For example, I used to love eating carrots before going on this diet however after eating a carrot and testing my blood sugar, I worked out that it was no good for me at all to eat any orange vegetables. When it came to grains, I found that essene bread actually made my blood sugar levels spike intensely, so I avoid all bread now.

Therefore even though the advice was appropriate for a diabetic, it was really a process of elimination that I needed to go through in order to work out which vegetables worked with my body. I learned the importance of understanding the reactions to certain foods and this helped me get in control of the fluctuations in blood glucose levels. Despite what dieticians may suggest, there is no blanket diet that fits and works with everyone!!!

I never suggested anything works for everyone so calm down. In tests the GI of carrots varies widely because the sugar content varies widely based season, area, weather, soil condition, etc.

Just because the person and the carrot didn't mesh well in one circumstance is hardly evidence that carrots are unhealthy.
    I never claimed carrots were unhealthy I was just correcting your incorrect statement that carrots don't cause a spike in blood sugar. The "idea" that they do is not because people don't understand the glycemic index it's because carrots do spike insulin.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

My Experience

I never claimed carrots were unhealthy I was just correcting your incorrect statement that carrots don't cause a spike in blood sugar. The "idea" that they do is not because people don't understand the glycemic index it's because carrots do spike insulin.

All foods spike insulin when eaten. But I think you meant blood sugar. GI does measure this and carrots have a high GI. But GI does not measure quantity, which is why GL is a better measure of blood sugar spikes.