What do you count as water?

Options

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Water only, H20. Nothing else is water. Duh!!!

Sorry, how rude. You have to clean your kidneys with water. You cannot do it with coffee, juice, diet coke or regular soft drinks. That other stuff has to go through your digestive system, so does not flush you out the way water does. That's why you need a lot of water when you are dieting, and exercising - keeps you hydrated and your organs cleansed and functioning optimally.

actually water does also go through your digestive system and (most of it) is absorbed while in the small intestine.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Water and I buy sparkling water which has no calories or fake sugars in it (no additives); I drink this when I'm sick of drinking regular water and trying to get another couple cups into me. :)

Coffee...no because caffeine is a dietetic so technically an 8oz cup of coffee is negative water.
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options

I've heard of dingdongs counting Diet Coke as water before. I don't agree with this. I doubt the amount of water in it is going to counteract with all those chemicals to benefit your body as somehow hydrating it.

well, then I am a ding dong since my Diet Coke is more than 99% water I count it as water.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Only water
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Just water....

FYI, I wouldn't count coffee or tea (unless it is herbal tea) as water because they are actually dehydrating and will require you to need additional water.

Studies have shown that the caffeine in coffee isn't going to dehydrate you unless your consuming over 600mg.
  • SouffleBoy
    SouffleBoy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Coffee...no because caffeine is a dietetic so technically an 8oz cup of coffee is negative water.

Where do people get this rubbish from? Drinking coffee doesn't count as negative water otherwise thousands of people who drink just coffee as a drink would be dead.
  • gp79
    Options
    Water and I buy sparkling water which has no calories or fake sugars in it (no additives); I drink this when I'm sick of drinking regular water and trying to get another couple cups into me. :)

As stated above, here's the study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19774754
  • gp79
    Options
    Assumptions are dangerous.
  • ssnowdon76
    Options
    Water and only water (when I remember to log it :) )
  • tenaheff
    Options
    I don't track water because I am not convinced it is essential I get 8 -8 oz glasses a day. I believe the liquid in my food also helps hydrate me. However, if I did track water, and when I am thinking about how much water I managed to drink in a day, I count water whether it has MIO or lemon. I don't drink it any other way. My water almost always has either MIO or lemon in it.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Where do people get this rubbish from? Drinking coffee doesn't count as negative water otherwise thousands of people who drink just coffee as a drink would be dead.

They get it from Shape amd Cosmo magazines that were published before you were born; this myth just won't die.
    They will though completely ignore recent publications from Mayo Clinic and other reputable scientific sources.
  • rudy7020
    Options
    water and 0 calorie flavored water.
  • tenaheff
    Options

They get it from Shape amd Cosmo magazines that were published before you were born; this myth just won't die.
    They will though completely ignore recent publications from Mayo Clinic and other reputable scientific sources.

They also get this from many weightloss meetings and weightloss books/programs. I agree it is myth.
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    They also get this from many weightloss meetings and weightloss books/programs. I agree it is myth.

I had this same argument with our company's hired fitness professionals. I even sent them copies of the papers from scientific journals. They insisted that caffeine would dehydrate me. There is obviously no arguing science with a kinesiology major.
  • megansoriano
    Options
    um. . . . . .is this a trick question?
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Water only, H20. Nothing else is water. Duh!!!

Sorry, how rude. You have to clean your kidneys with water. You cannot do it with coffee, juice, diet coke or regular soft drinks. That other stuff has to go through your digestive system, so does not flush you out the way water does. That's why you need a lot of water when you are dieting, and exercising - keeps you hydrated and your organs cleansed and functioning optimally.

No, sorry. Basically everything counts as "water". Even the water your body extracts from the food you eat.
  • AshleyLo_44
    AshleyLo_44 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    plain and simple, just water. I don't count coffee, or anything. If I have the occasional crystal light or something like that I count it as water, but I don't really like them, very powdery.
    In short, water is what I log as water :)

Same here
  • emmaonamission
    Options
    Just water, everything else I log even if it's 1 cal or 0 cals...
  • krypty
    Options
    Ummmmmmmm..... water
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Just water....

FYI, I wouldn't count coffee or tea (unless it is herbal tea) as water because they are actually dehydrating and will require you to need additional water.

Not true, when consumed in moderation: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661