Gluten Free Girls (and Guys!)

Options

Replies

• auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    For something close to tortillas, they roll up nicely, I make a rice flatbread. I don't make it a lot now since I have the other recipe, because it takes longer to cook, and I don't have the space to make tortillas properly, but if you know how to, I'm sure you can adjust this to make it work.
    1C rice flour
    1 tsp xanthan gum
    1.5 Tablespoons olive oil
    3/4 tsp salt
    hot water to form dough

I just add the ingredients to a bowl in the order I wrote (again, usually double the batch) and mix it until a nice dough forms. Then, what I do is form a ball and flatten it and put it on a hot griddle and press it down flat with a silicone spatula very quickly. I do a few of those before I flip the first one, you can tell when it's starting to cook through, usually a minute or so on each side is good, depending on how hot you're cooking. I don't use spray because I've found the olive oil makes it come loose when it's cooked completely on one side. We've done these and then rolled them hot or cooled. I've also used bean flour instead of rice, and that turned out good as well. BTW- I don't have this recipe written down, just pulled it out of memory, so if it doesn't work right, you may want to tweak the olive oil to more, I'm pretty sure I've got it right though.
  • yvonneh
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes. I can't wait to try them out!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelynn,
    I think we've had this discussion on another thread, but I have been GF for 7 years. i suffered from psoriasis, chronic sinusitis and chronic fatigue for years, and sort of an exercise-induced asthma. Had to give up donating blood because of chronic borderline anemia. My niece was diagnosed with Celiac's and i realized I had a lot of the same symptoms. I test positive on the blood tests, but normal on intestinal biopsy, so my doctors say 'see, you don't have Celiac's', but I had started on a GF diet pending test results, and it makes all the difference. I can run for hours, my psoriasis has all but disappeared, and my blood levels are back to normal. Never had real intestinal signs, but now I don't get cramps when I run.
    I have relapses from time to time - I have fallen for the nonGF cottage cheese thing too ( Great value (walmart brand ) is labeled GF) and occasionaly slip up.
    I agree with your observation that GF substitutes are often higher in fat, and carbs tend to be higher glycemic index, so if you are watching your weight, you may have to make more radical changes in diet than just changing to GF bread or cereal. Instead of sandwiches, get a head of romaine and use the larger leaves to make wraps instead of using a tortilla or pita, for example.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Hi Kelynn,
    I think we've had this discussion on another thread, but I have been GF for 7 years. i suffered from psoriasis, chronic sinusitis and chronic fatigue for years, and sort of an exercise-induced asthma. Had to give up donating blood because of chronic borderline anemia. My niece was diagnosed with Celiac's and i realized I had a lot of the same symptoms. I test positive on the blood tests, but normal on intestinal biopsy, so my doctors say 'see, you don't have Celiac's', but I had started on a GF diet pending test results, and it makes all the difference. I can run for hours, my psoriasis has all but disappeared, and my blood levels are back to normal. Never had real intestinal signs, but now I don't get cramps when I run.
    I have relapses from time to time - I have fallen for the nonGF cottage cheese thing too ( Great value (walmart brand ) is labeled GF) and occasionaly slip up.
    I agree with your observation that GF substitutes are often higher in fat, and carbs tend to be higher glycemic index, so if you are watching your weight, you may have to make more radical changes in diet than just changing to GF bread or cereal. Instead of sandwiches, get a head of romaine and use the larger leaves to make wraps instead of using a tortilla or pita, for example.

Tom, we've talked about being GF a little bit on the Runner's Club thread. I too fee a total change in my body after becoming GF. Not always easy, but certainly worth it!

Ladies, thanks for the recipes! :flowerforyou:

Went to NYC today and went to a GF place... I'm heading to bed now so I won't go into the whole story now, but I'll share tomorrow... promise! :wink:
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Oh, I had that dessert at PF Chang's this summer, I loved the whole dinner, and the waiter seemed like he knew his gluten stuff too, which was nice.

Our waitress was VERY on top of things too- made me feel good and like less of a "stand out" or "odd woman out". I absolutely will go back to PF Changs- can't beat the combination of amazing GF Chinese food, dessert, and outstanding customer service. Of course, I can't go as often as I'd like without having a negative effect on my weight loss goals, but it's a good treat every once in a while! :wink:
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    I might just be talking to myself here, but do any of you guys and gals use the website: www.glutenfreeregistry.com ? It's really neat! If you've never used it, check it out! :smile:
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I will have to check it out Kelynn. I have never heard of it before.

I am registered at www.celiac.com
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    I will have to check it out Kelynn. I have never heard of it before.

I am registered at www.celiac.com

Glad you're still here, Nichole... I was beginning to wonder if the group was fizzling out and I was talking to myself! :laugh:

It's SO cool... you can put in any (major) town in any state and it shows you all the restaurants, bakeries and grocery stores in that area. If you click on "GF map" it shows you a google map with all of the GF places- it makes traveling really easy, and I've also learned of new places near my home that have GF offerings. Give it a shot, I guarantee you'll love it!
  • mshay05
    mshay05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I might just be talking to myself here, but do any of you guys and gals use the website: www.glutenfreeregistry.com ? It's really neat! If you've never used it, check it out! :smile:

I love this website!! Thank for posting it! :flowerforyou:
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of it either, I'll have to keep it in mind, though we don't eat out much :( I find that a lot of my googled questions direct me towards celiac.com too. It's been a great resource to me also.
  • runnerdad
    Options
    Greta website. FOund some really interesting places really close to home that I never knew about. Thanks Kelynn!
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    You're welcome... glad you're finding it so helpful. :flowerforyou:
  • runnerdad
    Options
    Extra bonus. A friend just dropped by my office with a package of great GF cookies, and they are from a bakery I just found on the website. Now I have to check it out!
  • apieper
    Options
    I also have Celiac Disease. I was in denial for a long time, but recently I was so sick every time I ate, that I can no longer deny it. I've been "free" for about a month and I'm already feeling a lot better. For those of you who like pasta, my family discovered that if you go to www.glutenfreechoices.com and join their "gluten free family" you can get a $1.00 off coupon for many gluten free products. Their system allows you to print it twice. Of course, if you own a scanner, you can reproduce it numerous times.
    I'm finding my biggest challenge is eating at restaurants. Too many people have no idea what it is! I'm glad to find you all on here.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Got some desserts from www.mydadscookies.com this weekend in NYC. We were at a restaurant that sells them- got chocolate chip cookies, graham crackers and brownies/chocolate cupcakes-not sure which they're called :tongue: and they are SO good. They were $5.95 for the package- the brownies/cupcakes come with 6 in the package, the graham crackers come with about 25 and the chocolate chip cookies come with about 15 or so. I probably won't order too often since I try not to eat junk, but they'll be perfect for when everyone else is digging into desserts on Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, birthdays, etc.

I would HIGHLY recommend ordering from the website if you're ever looking for gluten-free bakery items that taste EXACTLY like the real deal... and they're very reasonably priced. And, if you don't like the treats you ordered, you can send them back to the company and they'll refund your money. But, I can assure you, you'll LOVE them! :love: They have tons and tons of different items to choose from. :smile:
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I just found your thread! I'm new to gluten free. I have had stomach and health problems to a mild extend for years but this year things have just fallen apart. I have been sick the entire year almost (flu, mono, strep, repeated outbreaks of shingles, you name it). The only things they are finding wrong are vitamin deficiencies and a severe hormonal imbalance. I had an EGD to check for an ulcer and they found gastritis and inflammation in my small intestines but they didn't biopsy for celiac. I'm still paying for that one so I'm not about to go back for another. Since doctors around here (WV) have proven unhelpful I sent my medical records to my cousin in MD who is a nurse in the GI department and she showed a few of the doctors she works with and they all suspected celiac. I decided to go on the GF diet to see what happened and so far I'm seeing improvement. My joint aches are greatly diminished, my digestive issues are much better, and a rash I've had on my legs for years has disappeared!
  • yvonneh
    Options
    I just found your thread! I'm new to gluten free. I have had stomach and health problems to a mild extend for years but this year things have just fallen apart. I have been sick the entire year almost (flu, mono, strep, repeated outbreaks of shingles, you name it). The only things they are finding wrong are vitamin deficiencies and a severe hormonal imbalance. I had an EGD to check for an ulcer and they found gastritis and inflammation in my small intestines but they didn't biopsy for celiac. I'm still paying for that one so I'm not about to go back for another. Since doctors around here (WV) have proven unhelpful I sent my medical records to my cousin in MD who is a nurse in the GI department and she showed a few of the doctors she works with and they all suspected celiac. I decided to go on the GF diet to see what happened and so far I'm seeing improvement. My joint aches are greatly diminished, my digestive issues are much better, and a rash I've had on my legs for years has disappeared!

anglyn,

I'm glad you are starting to feel better. I also have found removing gluten from my diet made joint pains I've felt for years start to recede. And I'm always fascinated by how much gluten affects every other system in the body.

And kelynn, thanks for the website. I'm always looking for a good place for products. I like to bake, but it takes time and sometimes I want someone else to do the baking for me!
  • apieper
    Options
    What a great site! Thanks Kelynn!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    How are you all handling holiday parties? We are going to several this week and it's tough because you can't really trust people to know hidden sources of gluten! I've been making desserts that are naturally gluten free (like pralines and butterscotch marshmallow bars) and casserole type dishes with GF pasta or rice. I'm going to try to eat what I bring and supplement with thinks I know are GF like raw veggies and stuff!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    How are you all handling holiday parties? We are going to several this week and it's tough because you can't really trust people to know hidden sources of gluten! I've been making desserts that are naturally gluten free (like pralines and butterscotch marshmallow bars) and casserole type dishes with GF pasta or rice. I'm going to try to eat what I bring and supplement with thinks I know are GF like raw veggies and stuff!

That's what I do too! I also make sure that I am well fed before I go so that I just pick when I get there. Could you pass along your recipe for the marshmallow bar? That sounds yummy!