Starting a 30 Day Juice Fast 09/05/2012! Support needed!

Options

Replies

• AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    How about trying proper diet and hard work and sweat from exercise? Sounds totally silly, I know!

EDIT: And not to mention.. 42 lbs in a month is insane. That's going to come back to bite you in the tush if you actually lose that much. Just my opinion of course.

It's too bad people have to look for the easy way out with weight loss. At least I know I'm doing things the better way, I guess.

:flowerforyou:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    So I see that you're picking and choosing which things to read and/or respond to, but like someone earlier said: those aren't "toxins," that is a sign your body is becoming deficient in vital nutrients, a.k.a, ketosis.

There is no such thing as "bad toxins." Your body naturally detoxes--you only have problems with very specific conditions, none of which you mentioned.

If you're so deadset on doing juicing, talk to your doctor. Bring up toxins though, and guess what response you'll get.
  • mercymarque
    Options
    Good luck and please up date. Drink lots of water to help keep u full. That's going to be difficult. I'm doing something called the fat smash diet. I can tell u it has worked for me and some other ppl who are doing it with me. You can get all the fruits and vegetables you want, u eliminate sugar, meat, white potatoes, white rice and avocado, you drink plenty of water and exericise. You can also have tea and coffee with sugar substitute.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    What's your plan for after the fast? What do you plan on eating, have you prepared and planned for that yet?
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could do this for two reasons

1. Veggie juice makes me nauseous
    2. I like to chew my food

Fair play if you think this will set you up for the rest of your life but personally I think eating at calorie deficit and working out will do the same thing.

Surely you will have to adopt a more normal relationship with food eventually because you can't live on juice forever. Maybe it will be easy to transition to a more normal eating lifestyle but I would be a bit concerned that it will be difficult and that may mean gaining the weight back again when you start eating solid food.
  • kreuzen
    kreuzen Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am happy that you and your SO seem to have done the research prior too. I am interested to see how you guys do. I do think that loosing 40+ lbs in 30 days is asking a little much (still... good luck and just be careful). I say 3 lbs is a LOT for one week let alone 10!

I also would like to congratulate you on how you handle some of the support you've gotten so far. Very interested to learn more about your 30 days go. :)
  • gottaloveit7771
    Options
    So I see that you're picking and choosing which things to read and/or respond to, but like someone earlier said: those aren't "toxins," that is a sign your body is becoming deficient in vital nutrients, a.k.a, ketosis.

There is no such thing as "bad toxins." Your body naturally detoxes--you only have problems with very specific conditions, none of which you mentioned.

If you're so deadset on doing juicing, talk to your doctor. Bring up toxins though, and guess what response you'll get.

I am not sure if are talking about me picking and choosing but I am not really able to respond to every post on here so sorry about that. I know about the ketosis process and am aware that that is the reason for the metal taste. I combined two thoughts in one thing I guess. Obviously I want to get rid of unwanted toxins in my body. That is why people do a "detox". I don't know why people on here can't give information with out the attitude. I appreciate your response, and thank you for further educating me.

I'm not going to talk to a dr because I have no health issues and am not on any kind of medication. I am not putting anything harmful in my body. I don't know why people are so negative that I am taking this approach to weight loss. I do however appreciate constructive criticism. But mostly I am just looking for support.

Thanks to all of you who are being supportive :)
  • OK_Girl
    OK_Girl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have a question. I went to your you tube channel and looked at some of your videos. You did HCG for a month, and lost 20 lbs. You did weight a weight watchers video, (how much did you loose there? ) and now you are on a 30 day juice fast- where you say you have lost over 12 lbs already.

Of all the weight you have lost, on these various diets- how much of it have you kept off- and how much has come back- and how fast did it come back- and has any extra weight come back with it?

This may seem like a personal question- but how much do you weigh now, compared to, say how much you weighed when you started the diets, about a year ago I think, by the dates on your videos... Would you say you weigh the same, or less?

Because if you are losing 20 -30 lbs a month, and keeping it off, I want to know what your secret is, seriously. I will go out an buy a juicer now if doing a 30 day juice fast would make me loose 12 lbs in a month much less a few days, and If it meant the weight was gone forever- why aren't more people doing this?

Thanks for your time

Okay, so in January I started the hCG diet. I lost about 20 pounds on it after all was said and done. Which isn't that great because you're supposed to lose between one and 3 pounds a day. A few days after I finished the diet I gained back 8 pounds. I'm pretty sure it was mostly water weight because my diet was very good. On Weight Watchers I was able to get those 8 pounds back off and maintain my 200 pound weight. However, there was things happening in our lives that put me into a little bit of depression and I stopped dieting and stopped exercising. The weight just started to pile on and I really wasn't caring about what I was eating. So needless to say I gained back a whole lot of weight and I'm now having to get it back off. When I started my juice fast I was 232 pounds. I am now at 220, on day three. I have a long ways to go to get back to where I was that after all of those months of hard work. So I don't recommended the hCG diet. Weight Watchers is a very slow steady weight loss but you have to maintain that style of eating pretty much for the rest of your life. Which is okay, but after being depressed it's not so easy. I think juicing will be good because I have seen so many good responses of people who have completed this diet. I know you're not allowed to just go back to eating whatever, but it's supposed to really help you Control your cravings and really just reset your body. So hopefully you can find what diet works for you, but clearly the hCG is not the best because you just gain back the weight you lose. Good luck!!

Thanks for your response. If I understood you correctly- you managed to loose some water weight with hcg (fad diet) but it came back straight away- you were able to loose it with WW- but you now weigh MORE than before you started trying fad diets.

I would guess, that based off of past history, you can expect the same results- gain the weight back that you lost from juicing as soon as you begin eating food again, and maybe more. If you were using this as a 'reset to control your cravings' and planned on eating healthy and exercising after, I wouldn't be so concerned with it, but it seems like you might be seeing this as a realistic weight loss option, which is unrealistic.

I hope that you listen to the advice you have been given here, the stuff that makes sense. We've all been there and done that to some extent w/ fad diets. Please report back and let us know how the weight loss goes after you stop juicing- and how long you are are able to consume only juice.
  • gottaloveit7771
    Options
    Ok I am getting tired of defending myself :( I think it takes great courage and strength to endure a 30 day reboot. Most people won't even try such a thing because they can't give up things they love. So why are so many people being mean and basically telling me I am going to fail when they probably wouldn't last a few days!

I gained weight back because of a personal situation and being severely depressed. Shoot me. Weight watchers isn't a fad it's just a lifestyle change I couldn't keep up with due to my situation. Doesn't mean I will fail every time.

Will I gain weight back? Probably some. Will I lose 42 lbs? Probably not. But why not try? Why tell me I am going to fail because I am being unrealistic? Would you have said that to the USA if they had a goal to win 42 gold medals? Probably! And guess what? They won 46. So please stop passing judgment.
  • firstsip
    Options

I am not sure if are talking about me picking and choosing but I am not really able to respond to every post on here so sorry about that. I know about the ketosis process and am aware that that is the reason for the metal taste. I combined two thoughts in one thing I guess. Obviously I want to get rid of unwanted toxins in my body. That is why people do a "detox". I don't know why people on here can't give information with out the attitude. I appreciate your response, and thank you for further educating me.

I'm not going to talk to a dr because I have no health issues and am not on any kind of medication. I am not putting anything harmful in my body. I don't know why people are so negative that I am taking this approach to weight loss. I do however appreciate constructive criticism. But mostly I am just looking for support.

Not sure if the "attitude" is directed at me, because I didn't give you attitude. However, you can't post something on a public forum and say, "Only support plz" then get mad when people don't follow that. Also, no one is trying to hurt you; they're trying to keep you from hurting yourself. That's like when people come in saying, "I'm only eating 100 calories for the rest of the month. I want friends for support!" No one with a sane approach to health and fitness will support that. Yours isn't too different, plus you have the added negatives of failing to listen to any approach opposite of yours, failing to understand basic nutrition, and the dangerous mindset that losing so much weight in a short amount of time is healthy and sustainable.

People are negative about this approach to weight loss because many of us have much more knowledge, research, and information under our belts than you apparently do. You are supposed to talk to a doctor before making any diet or lifestyle change, even with the safest, most standard "1200 minimum calorie diet." You may not have health issues you realize, or they can come FROM doing such a drastic diet to your body.

Your body needs protein, carbs, sugar, sodium, etc... just in certain amounts.

Also, you again completely missed my point with toxins. "Detox" is a term completely without scientific merit. You don't "need" to detox; your body does it. Juicing itself isn't even really an issue if you substitute a meal for it, or supplement it with other nutrient dense foods (bigger complex carbs like oats, protein from yogurt, etc.). You may cause an electrolyte imbalance by only subsisting on the "juices" like people have mentioned.
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    Hey, I'll join you, except I can't juice, so I'll do the raw vegan thing! :) I can starton the 9th
    Good luck!!!
  • firstsip
    Options
    Ok I am getting tired of defending myself :( I think it takes great courage and strength to endure a 30 day reboot. Most people won't even try such a thing because they can't give up things they love. So why are so many people being mean and basically telling me I am going to fail when they probably wouldn't last a few days!

I gained weight back because of a personal situation and being severely depressed. Shoot me. Weight watchers isn't a fad it's just a lifestyle change I couldn't keep up with due to my situation. Doesn't mean I will fail every time.

Will I gain weight back? Probably some. Will I lose 42 lbs? Probably not. But why not try? Why tell me I am going to fail because I am being unrealistic? Would you have said that to the USA if they had a goal to win 42 gold medals? Probably! And guess what? They won 46. So please stop passing judgment.

1. You just judged everyone much harder than anyone did you. You're arguing a strawman: you're coming up with a "reason" people are giving you information you don't want to hear rather than listening. People HAVE given up unhealthy foods they've loved, or learned to live with them in moderation. You're giving up PROTEIN and COMPLEX CARBS and ELECTROLYTES. Why would we support someone giving up vital nutrients?

2. It is VERY possible your fad dieting (yes, even WW is not a foolproof plan) could have resulted in your depression. And if you are eating a sustainable plan, you won't gain it back, even with depression (from your words, I'm guessing you turned to unhealthy eating habits.) There's plenty of research that supports healthy diets reducing symptoms of depression, anxiety, etc.

3. No one has told you you'll fail with the cleanse. They're saying you'll fail in healthy, sustainable weight loss and fitness. You're not reading what anyone's actually saying. You're just seeing opposing viewpoints and shutting down.

You're 25, but you seem much younger. I'm not even saying that to be insulting to our teenager MFPers. I say it because you're so stubbornly refusing to listen to science, to research, or to wise advice. When someone disagrees with you, you claim they are being mean, having attitude, etc. NO ONE in this post has attacked you. I've seen trolls, I've seen sass, but NOT in this thread.

P.S. The USA got those 46 Olympic medals by eating much healthier than you will be on a juice cleanse, so your analogy is poor all around.
  • OK_Girl
    Options

Not sure if the "attitude" is directed at me, because I didn't give you attitude. However, you can't post something on a public forum and say, "Only support plz" then get mad when people don't follow that. Also, no one is trying to hurt you; they're trying to keep you from hurting yourself. That's like when people come in saying, "I'm only eating 100 calories for the rest of the month. I want friends for support!" No one with a sane approach to health and fitness will support that. Yours isn't too different, plus you have the added negatives of failing to listen to any approach opposite of yours, failing to understand basic nutrition, and the dangerous mindset that losing so much weight in a short amount of time is healthy and sustainable.

People are negative about this approach to weight loss because many of us have much more knowledge, research, and information under our belts than you apparently do. You are supposed to talk to a doctor before making any diet or lifestyle change, even with the safest, most standard "1200 minimum calorie diet." You may not have health issues you realize, or they can come FROM doing such a drastic diet to your body.

Also, you again completely missed my point with toxins. "Detox" is a term completely without scientific merit. You don't "need" to detox; your body does it. Juicing itself isn't even really an issue if you substitute a meal for it, or supplement it with other nutrient dense foods (bigger complex carbs like oats, protein from yogurt, etc.). You may cause an electrolyte imbalance by only subsisting on the "juices" like people have mentioned.

Clearly she only wants to hear from people who agree with this method of weight loss, anything else is 'unsupportive'. I really feel like any dissenting opinions regarding this whole thing will be met defensively- and she's pretty much stated she doesn't want to 'defend herself' any more, so I will go away- although I feel your post was 100% spot on.
  • firstsip
    Options

Clearly she only wants to hear from people who agree with this method of weight loss, anything else is 'unsupportive'. I really feel like any dissenting opinions regarding this whole thing will be met defensively- and she's pretty much stated she doesn't want to 'defend herself' any more, so I will go away- although I feel your post was 100% spot on.

Thanks bb ;)
  • OK_Girl
    Options

P.S. The USA got those 46 Olympic medals by eating much healthier than you will be on a juice cleanse, so your analogy is poor all around.

:smile:
    AMEN.
  • hellokitty41489
    Options

1. You just judged everyone much harder than anyone did you. You're arguing a strawman: you're coming up with a "reason" people are giving you information you don't want to hear rather than listening. People HAVE given up unhealthy foods they've loved, or learned to live with them in moderation. You're giving up PROTEIN and COMPLEX CARBS and ELECTROLYTES. Why would we support someone giving up vital nutrients?

2. It is VERY possible your fad dieting (yes, even WW is not a foolproof plan) could have resulted in your depression. And if you are eating a sustainable plan, you won't gain it back, even with depression (from your words, I'm guessing you turned to unhealthy eating habits.) There's plenty of research that supports healthy diets reducing symptoms of depression, anxiety, etc.

3. No one has told you you'll fail with the cleanse. They're saying you'll fail in healthy, sustainable weight loss and fitness. You're not reading what anyone's actually saying. You're just seeing opposing viewpoints and shutting down.

You're 25, but you seem much younger. I'm not even saying that to be insulting to our teenager MFPers. I say it because you're so stubbornly refusing to listen to science, to research, or to wise advice. When someone disagrees with you, you claim they are being mean, having attitude, etc. NO ONE in this post has attacked you. I've seen trolls, I've seen sass, but NOT in this thread.

Basically, everything above! I'm sorry you're upset people aren't agreeing with you but have you taken the time to think about why that is? No one is trying to be mean to you they are trying to show concern, but you don't seem to appreciate that at all. We don't want to see you fail, and we also don't want to see you hurt yourself and some of the things that you've talked about don't sound all that safe/healthy long term. I think you should stop acting so immaturely towards those who genuinely are concerned about your approach and instead be thankful they even care in the first place.
  • reallyfatjoe
    Options
    When it comes to vegetables and some fruits, I rather drink my calories than to eat them. To eat the amount of vegetables I need/want, it would take me a while, so juicing them works for me.
  • gottaloveit7771
    Options
    Thanks to the above comments for your concern.

I am doing really good heading into the end of day 3. I haven't weighed myself yet but I'm sure my weight will fluctuate lots on a daily basis. I drank about 60 oz of juice today so I am sure that puts me well over 1000 calories. I haven't counted how many bottles of water I had today but I always have one in my hand :) I feel really good, and not hungry. So far I have lost 12 lbs in 3 days. I'm sure that will slow down drastically over the next few weeks.

The thing I am looking forward to after my reboot is steamed veggies. I think the warmth is what sounds the best lol.

And lastly I do apologize if I got snappy in previous posts. It was hotter then crap, my kids were being crazy and I had a bad headache. I'm not trying to be defensive, I was just trying to stand up for myself and my decisions. I admit I am stubborn which is why I know I will finish this fast, and finish it healthier and stronger then ever.

How is everyone else doing who is on a reboot?
  • Gymlifeforever14
    Options
    Good luck on your quest for success!!!
    Kiki. ;-)
  • Kieshawn2
    Options
    I am a veteran juicer. It is truly the best way to detoxify and the weight loss is a bonus. i just started a detox this week using juices twice daily and one cooked meal consisting of plant based foods. Due to a surgery that I had years ago, i can't juice exclusivly like i used to but this has been a great alternative. I have lost 14 pound in five days. I went from 240 to 226.

You will do great. If you' ve already made it to day two, the worst is over. The first three days are the toughest but you are over the hump. After day 4 or 5, your hunger wills subside and you won't feel hungry because your body will begin to feed on stored fat, which will then push the toxins out of your cells. The juice and the water will flush the toxins out.

I recommend a book called, "How to Keep Health, Slim and Young with Juice Fasting", by Dr. Paavo Airola. I have had the book for 12 years and I have read it over and over again. I get new information each time I read it. He does a great job explaing the how to's and what to expect along with several testimonials of people who have sucessfully completed a juice fast.

I wish you great sucess. Your life will never be the same. You will never forgert how good you will feel during and after the juice fast. It is life changing.

God bless you!