Starting a 30 Day Juice Fast 09/05/2012! Support needed!

Options

Replies

• mlashay
    mlashay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I would just like to say that your perseverance in doing this is fantastic, I have been wanting to do a juice fast, not quite 30 days because I would never have the will power but 5-10 days at most. My step mom and dad completed a 15 day fast under a nutritionist as well as a physician's watch and came out at the end weighing less, feeling energized and "rebooted". They now work out 3x a week together and eat healthy meals, where they didn't do that before.

And it's sad to see people be so rude. Even the people that are trying to be informative, many of you need to realize in the manner you are informing. It's one thing to give information and your opinion and another thing to tell someone they are completely wrong when many of you yourselves have said that everyone is different.

But I virtually high five you my dear, for handling the rude ones as well as you have. There are supporters here, you just have to deal with the ones that are negative to get to the positive.

:flowerforyou:
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Report back. If you don't end up sick and in the hospital. And then check back in six months after you've gained back everything you lost...

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but I completely agree. ^^ Fad diets are definitely NOT the way to go if you are trying to be healthy, or lose weight long term. Bad idea. I would quit right now, before you do serious damage to yourself.

Okay all the ppl on here who are giving very negative feedback, have any of you seen "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead?" This is a guy who goes on a 90 day juicing fast loses a bunch of weight and goes from being on all types of medications to being on none at all. During the movie he encourages an overweight trucker to do the fast, with doctor supervision because 90 days is quite a long time, and this man ends up losing a lot of weight going off of his meds because many of the health problems he has dissappear. Now this juicing fast is a reboot NOT a fad diet. The idea is the time you spend on the juicing fast will reboot your body to crave these types of foods your putting in your juices. The reason the some people don't feel that great the first week is becuase they are eating highly nutrient dense juices that their bodies aren't used to. This is stated in the movie and on the website for the movie. Also just look up juicing fasts and they will all say this as well. After the first week the person doing the fast should start to feel pretty good, and have lots of energy, their body should start craving the juices. Do people gain back a little weight, yes because this is an all liquid fruit and vegetable program, but if the person chooses to contiue incorporating more fruits and vegetables into their diet than carbs from grains and protien from meat they should continue to see their weightloss results and be a lot healthier than they were before the reboot.
  • Report back. If you don't end up sick and in the hospital. And then check back in six months after you've gained back everything you lost...

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but I completely agree. ^^ Fad diets are definitely NOT the way to go if you are trying to be healthy, or lose weight long term. Bad idea. I would quit right now, before you do serious damage to yourself.

I usually refrain from commenting on the forums for reasons just like this ^^

First and foremost, I just completed a 40+ day juice fast and lost approximately 41 lbs.

If you guys would educate yourself and watch the movie, Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead, you'd know two things:

1. it is not a 'fad' diet and

2. the purpose of the fast is not to help you lose weight (anyone using it this way will likely gain the weight back b/c it's apparent they didn't research this) but instead to reboot your body and get rid of toxins that many processed foods and 'bad' meats can build up in your body.

When I embarked on my fast, I initially set out to do it for 30 days and no more. My reason (after watching the aforementioned documentary) was to gain more natural energy, help with my insomnia and also clear my skin.

Not only did I get all that, I also gained a LOT more mental clarity, which eventually caused me to want to do a shift in my current career. EVERYBODY who does a juice fast isn't doing it to lose weight. Yes, I had weight to lose but I wanted to clear my body of SOME of the bad I had put in it for 32 years while learning the proper ways to eat. As an emotional eater, this was a challenge for me but it forced me to deal with my emotions rather than scarfing down a bag of chips to run away from it.

Rather than being so negative, at least advise people to educate themselves FIRST before making such a drastic decision. Just because it's not something that YOU would try doesn't mean that others should be condemned for it. YES, it is drastic and I recognize this, but if done properly, it can do wonders for the body.

For the record, I cycled myself off the fast and have started incorporating 'clean' eating, drinking nothing but water and working out for no less than an hour at least 4 times per week...and I've yet to gain a single pound. My goal was put in place and I'm executing it properly.

Some of you really need to check yourself and how you speak to people, be it on here or in reality. Even if you don't like or agree with how someone is doing something, to say it in an "I am better than you" tone is disrespectful and says a LOT about your character offline as well.

Thank you
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    why drink your calories when you can eat them?
    Because the body digests and processes liquids faster and better, meaning faster fat loss...yea I could go into detail but I'm typing wtith 1 hand and eating soup...
  • gottaloveit7771
    Options
    To the above comments, thank you so much for your support and giving great information to not only me but others who are looking into fasting themselves, and people who just have no clue what they are talking about! It really means a lot to me for you all to take some time and post on here :)

I try to be nice to the naysayers but it's great to have a little back up lol!! You are all appreciated!!

So with that! I am about to finish my first week! I am on day 7 :) I feel actually pretty good today. I woke up not hungry and just feeling a little more alive. One thing though. And this is KILLING me!! I keep dreaming about food and how I break my fast and after I eat I'm like oh no! I was supposed to be fasting! Then somewhere after that I wake up. It's torture! I would love it if I could sleep with no dreams at all so I don't toss and turn all night. Any suggestions for sleeping better? I have been tossing and turning well before fasting so even if it is related I don't think it's that. Any help would be great :) thanks!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    If you're carrying significant extra weight and have chronic difficulty sleeping, you may want to ask your doctor to send you for a sleep study. Sleep apnea is much more common than most people realize, and it's more common in the overweight and the hypertensive, and dramatically raises your risk of heart attack and stroke.
  • gottaloveit7771
    Options
    If you're carrying significant extra weight and have chronic difficulty sleeping, you may want to ask your doctor to send you for a sleep study. Sleep apnea is much more common than most people realize, and it's more common in the overweight and the hypertensive, and dramatically raises your risk of heart attack and stroke.

Hmm interesting. I have trouble sleeping mostly due to weird dreams but I don't have trouble breathing. Would sleep apnea still be the case? I guess I thought it ha to do more with breathing. Guess I should do a little research on it.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It is about breathing, but most people don't realize that they are having difficulty. I think you said you are married. Has your husband ever noticed you stop breathing or complained about snoring? Sometimes it's people's sleep partners who notice it.
  • All I can say is I have worked hard and have done my weight loss the right way and have lost 45 pounds in 6 months and still losing. I eat real food fruits, lean meats , whole grain. veggies, Diets like the ones you speak of is just a fast way to lose weight in which you will gain it all back.. but I'm not going to go on and on about how unhealthy it is because you are convinced it's perfectly fine.. so why bother... So with that said.. Good luck with that.
  • kellyo15
    Options
    Please be healthy and good to yourself! Ketosis/metallic taste = not good, not healthy. Living off entirely liquid doesn't seem like the healthiest, most sustainable choice either. I know you plan on going back to solids later when your body is "reset" but I can see this wreaking havoc on your metabolism in the long run, no matter what YouTube says. These people aren't hating on you, they're just trying to warn you and others who may read this post and think this is a safe, quick and effective method of weight loss. Realistically, there are no quick fixes for long term weight loss. A change in outlook on what we're eating and a high activity level are the best things for you. Not trying to put you down, I just want you to be safe and healthy in the long term!
  • phynyxfyre
    phynyxfyre Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    This post has me concerned. I wish you success, first of all. I have read every single post. I am not shocked at the feedback from either side of the issue. There are a lot of people on here that have fought eating disorders, and I would like to argue that everyone on this site has had some sort of negative relationship with food. I think that as we all do more research and have more information under our belts that we try to educate others that we worry about because we see the same mistakes we wish we had avoided over the years.

I have not seen the video about fasting, but did see the post that it was done under a doctor's supervision. This was what I think was key. I think some people need to jumpstart their weightloss. The clinics I have seen have all set a guideline for the jumpstart: you need to be at least 100 lbs overweight to consider this. It must be a liquid fast with vitamin supplementation, and it must be done under the care of a doctor and dietician. This is what I know from the clinics.

When your body goes into keto-acidosis, you develop a variety of problems. If you know what to look for you can modify your diet when you see the warning signs. If you don't, you can kill yourself. I can't tell you how many times we have had to breathe for somebody because they were in keto-acidosis. Signs: Fruity, metallic taste in mouth/on breath, headaches, rapid/shallow breathing, trembling, dizziness, confusion, abdominal cramping, etc...

I am not going to give you advice. I am not going to say you cannot do this. You can. You are. So far, so good. I do want to ask you a favor, though. If you run into any major signs of ketoacidosis (or just three of these symptoms together) please call your doctor or dietician for advice. Just to make sure you aren't in any danger. It would help me sleep easier tonight if I am not checking back on the post worrying. :)
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Ok I am getting tired of defending myself :( I think it takes great courage and strength to endure a 30 day reboot. Most people won't even try such a thing because they can't give up things they love. So why are so many people being mean and basically telling me I am going to fail when they probably wouldn't last a few days!

I gained weight back because of a personal situation and being severely depressed. Shoot me. Weight watchers isn't a fad it's just a lifestyle change I couldn't keep up with due to my situation. Doesn't mean I will fail every time.

Will I gain weight back? Probably some. Will I lose 42 lbs? Probably not. But why not try? Why tell me I am going to fail because I am being unrealistic? Would you have said that to the USA if they had a goal to win 42 gold medals? Probably! And guess what? They won 46. So please stop passing judgment.

1. You just judged everyone much harder than anyone did you. You're arguing a strawman: you're coming up with a "reason" people are giving you information you don't want to hear rather than listening. People HAVE given up unhealthy foods they've loved, or learned to live with them in moderation. You're giving up PROTEIN and COMPLEX CARBS and ELECTROLYTES. Why would we support someone giving up vital nutrients?

2. It is VERY possible your fad dieting (yes, even WW is not a foolproof plan) could have resulted in your depression. And if you are eating a sustainable plan, you won't gain it back, even with depression (from your words, I'm guessing you turned to unhealthy eating habits.) There's plenty of research that supports healthy diets reducing symptoms of depression, anxiety, etc.

3. No one has told you you'll fail with the cleanse. They're saying you'll fail in healthy, sustainable weight loss and fitness. You're not reading what anyone's actually saying. You're just seeing opposing viewpoints and shutting down.

You're 25, but you seem much younger. I'm not even saying that to be insulting to our teenager MFPers. I say it because you're so stubbornly refusing to listen to science, to research, or to wise advice. When someone disagrees with you, you claim they are being mean, having attitude, etc. NO ONE in this post has attacked you. I've seen trolls, I've seen sass, but NOT in this thread.

P.S. The USA got those 46 Olympic medals by eating much healthier than you will be on a juice cleanse, so your analogy is poor all around.
    you're wrong on sooooooo many levels...juice fasting does not reduce nutrition, it increases it and it is NOT A FAD.It s much deeper than giving up some foods you love so don't compare the 2. She'll only fail if she lets people like YOU continue to drag her down. Can you please do a lick of research before judging and stating your "so called" health facts.FYI juicing resets the metabolism to a better point...this is proven by science..
  • nomorefattymom
    nomorefattymom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have to say I'm intrigued by this post and have it bookmarked :) I have been doing a little research of my own on this. I wish I could watch this video but hulu is only available within the US so I'm searching online where Canadians could watch. I'm getting ready to do another "taboo" diet and a juice fast would be a good clense before I start that journey.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I LOVED Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. Watched it 3 times. I still follow Joe Cross via fb and twitter. I think juicing is great.

I water fasted for 7 days years ago so when I saw the film I knew I could do a juice fast. Got a juicer and went for 6 days the first time. Had some issues. Tried again using 98% Veggies ONLY and got to 5 days before I felt awful again. Then I did some researching after the fasting attempts. I learned that since I am pre-diabetic and have PCOS that fasting is not something I should be doing. It's just too much sugar right to the bloodstream and causes levels to spike and dip like crazy. So it just didn't work for me even though I really wanted it to!

I wish you and your husband LOTS OF LUCK!!!!
  • duquedeb
    duquedeb Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Goodluck, Not sure hope much weight you will lose but you will never know till you try. With determination we can do just about anything. And Juice is healthy just take care. Keep me up to date on how things are going. :drinker:
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your response, and while I am sure my decision doesn't make since to you, I know the reasons why I am doing it. Yes I want to lose 42 lbs in 30 days. I have 40% water weight right now so I wouldn't mind getting that number down too. And I am glad you brought up the point that I will be consuming so many calories, now no one can say I am starving myself! I am doing this to get more energy, relieve depression, detoxify my body, and of course lose weight. I am not doing the normal way of weight loss because I have failed many times trying to diet and exercise. My body needs a reset or "reboot" as Joe would say in order to get off all my food addictions I have. Like I said I have many reasons for doing this. What I need is a little encouragement, so thanks for the lack thereof. I wish you well with your fitness journey, as it's obviously very different then mine.

By the way to everyone, I feel good for being on day two! I have been drinking about 50oz of juice a day and about 85-120 oz of water a day. I have been doing 70% veggies and 30% fruit.
    I think you need to look into your goal of water weight, unless I am not understanding it. I know wikipedia isn't always right but if you search body water...
    "Also, obesity decreases the percentage of water in the body, sometimes to as low as 45 percent"
    I think my scale indicated that somewhere around 50-60% is normal, so yours seems quite low.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I have 40% water weight right now so I wouldn't mind getting that number down too.

I think you need to do a whole lot more research on body water content. You clearly are ignorant in that department.

That's what I was thinking. On any given day I'm around 55% which is supposedly normal for my age, weight, etc.

I took off 70lbs and kept it off for over 20 years and lost it at a rate of 1-2lbs per week. It was sustainable and easy to maintain for the long term, obviously. I don't believe in rapid weight loss or quick fixes, but I wish you luck! Please make sure you're being watched closely by your doctor while doing this!
  • momlady6
    momlady6 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a great plan easing into it! I am so happy I am doing this for myself :) I can't wait to receive all the benefits from it! You should read testimonies. That's is the most inspiring! You can find them on the fat sick and nearly dead web site. Also there is another one called fitnessthroughfasting.com that has some great information :)

You can follow me on YouTube and keep up with my updates there as well!!

Good luck to you and your husband :)

Thanks! Will look for your you tube post! I was reading testimonies last night actually- definitely inspiring- increasing the green smoothies and veggies and fruits already.. Can't think why I didn't try this again sooner!! I remember how much energy I had when I was eating raw. Betcha anything we get a juiceron the weekend....
  • momlady6
    momlady6 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have to say I'm intrigued by this post and have it bookmarked :) I have been doing a little research of my own on this. I wish I could watch this video but hulu is only available within the US so I'm searching online where Canadians could watch. I'm getting ready to do another "taboo" diet and a juice fast would be a good clense before I start that journey.

If you have iTunes - you can rent it to watch for 6$ or purchase it- that's what we did...
  • gottaloveit7771
    Options
    I have 40% water weight right now so I wouldn't mind getting that number down too.

I think you need to do a whole lot more research on body water content. You clearly are ignorant in that department.

That's what I was thinking. On any given day I'm around 55% which is supposedly normal for my age, weight, etc.

I took off 70lbs and kept it off for over 20 years and lost it at a rate of 1-2lbs per week. It was sustainable and easy to maintain for the long term, obviously. I don't believe in rapid weight loss or quick fixes, but I wish you luck! Please make sure you're being watched closely by your doctor while doing this!

Yea I admit I have no clue about water %. I need to study up on it. It just seemed like a high number but I guess it isn't! It's actually gone up to 47% since being on the diet and my fat dropped 3%! So I guess I am on the right track :)