Exercise Calories: To eat or not to eat... Results

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ideally, before one even begins a weight loss intervention, they should educate themselves on the basic principles and components that promote weight loss in any form. There are many clinical journals online with hundreds of current research material involving the outcomes of various weight loss methods that is free to view. Reducing body fat to lose weight - and the ability to maintain goal weight or body composition - is a huge commitment requiring a lifetime of choices and accountability. With that, one should involve a thorough investigation to weigh which approach would maximize fat loss while minimizing undesirable outcomes. Unfortunately, many people hurry to MFP, enter very aggressive and unrealistic goals before they even comprehend basic terminology such as BMR, RMR, TDEE, energy expenditure, etc..

Quoted for the truth.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Night time bump!
  • skinnyitaliannn
    Options
    This helps soo much :) thanks
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    *poke*
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to the site and was going to make a post asking about eating back calories as I was so surprised to see the available calories after finalizing my food and fitness journals. Thank you for your methodical approach. Yes, it is a small sample size but as stated, it is undeniable that there is a trend. And, it is a much stronger analysis than just having people respond with their opinion as would be done in a normal post. Kudos.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Hi, I am new to the site and was going to make a post asking about eating back calories as I was so surprised to see the available calories after finalizing my food and fitness journals. Thank you for your methodical approach. Yes, it is a small sample size but as stated, it is undeniable that there is a trend. And, it is a much stronger analysis than just having people respond with their opinion as would be done in a normal post. Kudos.

Just make sure if you use MFP to calculate your exercise calories, eat 50-75% of them as it can over estimate.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    thank you for doing this... I was curious as well...
  • KlarcKent
    Options
    Great post. Thanks for taking the time.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    No problem.
  • medic563
    Options
    [/quote]

What happens if, after I put in my exercise, my calorie intake is less than 1200 calories? I thought that consuming less than 1200 calories is not good for my health. This is where I get confused.
    [/quote]

I have the same question. Should my goal be to end up around 1200 after exercise?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

What happens if, after I put in my exercise, my calorie intake is less than 1200 calories? I thought that consuming less than 1200 calories is not good for my health. This is where I get confused.
    [/quote]

I have the same question. Should my goal be to end up around 1200 after exercise?
    [/quote]

Probably best if more.
    1200 is recommended lowest calorie consumption for safety reasons for sedentary. Just like minimum building code is for safety, it's not for aesthetics, performance, or longevity. Do you care about those things for your health and body and life?

Do you want minimum for your body with none of the above 3 things? Or do you want to make a change in your life, have your exercise really make improvements, and not yo-yo diet.

You were given 1200 goal because you selected Sedentary most likely (are you really, would you know?) and selected 2 lb loss weekly (though 1lb is recommended).

Unless you logged your eating habits prior to starting a diet, then there is really no ability to have a perspective regarding if 1200 seems high or low. Though, you could probably add up 1 fast food meal you used to enjoy on regular basis, and discover that 1200 is way lower than you used to eat.

And to lose 2 lbs weekly, you only need to cut out 1000 daily from what you used to eat. Sedentary is merely an effort to estimate that amount, and usually has no bearing on reality.
  • medic563
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I should clarify my question. My Calorie goal is 1750. I know that you should not go under 1200. Somebody told me that you should not go up to your goal either. They recommended staying around 1200 in the Food column. Not the Net column. Probably bad advice.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I should clarify my question. My Calorie goal is 1750. I know that you should not go under 1200. Somebody told me that you should not go up to your goal either. They recommended staying around 1200 in the Food column. Not the Net column. Probably bad advice.

Is that your goal with exercise or the goal that mfp set? You should eat your goal, but should not eat your tdee/maintenance if you plan on losing weight.
  • aussie_nic_getting_fit
    Options
    bump to read later :)
  • medic563
    Options
    My Calorie goal of 1750 is what Myfitnesspal gave me in order to loose 1 pound a week. I chose Lightly Active. I use the Treadmill for 45:00 minutes 5 times a week walking at 4.0 with incline of 8.0.
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    thats awesome. a lot of people bug me for not starving myself basically but what they dont understand is that idont want to look like a deflated fat person when i'm done. i want to retain as much lean body mass as i can, hence why i EM2WL and lift weights.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Great information.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Bump to save this. I have no idea why you tooko the time to do this, but it looks awesome.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    My Calorie goal of 1750 is what Myfitnesspal gave me in order to loose 1 pound a week. I chose Lightly Active. I use the Treadmill for 45:00 minutes 5 times a week walking at 4.0 with incline of 8.0.

That's a rather good workout, and depending on weight may burn just enough to fall under that increase in activity level.

The difference between Sedentary and Lightly Active is only 0.1 x BMR, so maybe 156 calories about extra? Think you burn more than that on the treadmill?
    Most people that get a FitBit find they burn about Lightly Active on non-exercise days for what they thought was sedentary lifestyle and deskjob.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

Your method probably isn't giving you enough calories back for what you are burning, probably need to move to top level.